Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apricot tree

Posted by yuliana 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 13:31

Have anyone had any success with apricots? I would love to have a couple in my yard, but looks like they don't like Florida. I found on on the internet, Gold Kist, the website says it needs on ly 300 chilling hours. What qualifies as a chilling hour?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gold Kist

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apricot tree

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 21:53

Its generally hours under 45F, but really more complex than that. Google it. Also google for a usda chilling hours chart of Florida, zone 9 you might do ok with it. I have a plumcot hybrid which requires that, and I'm in 10A. Still waiting to see if it'll work. Another problem is our humidity. If you don't mind an experiment, give it a shot. Find out if it needs a pollinator.

Gary

o

gary's right all over. chill hours are kinda hokum--everyone defines them differently--time of year, degrees below 45, days in a row... all these things matter, supposedly.

here's the most conservative map i've found... i can't remember where i got it:
http://centralfloridagarden.blogspot.com/2006/11/florida-chill-hours-to-february-10th.html

in the end, the best approach, imho, is to find what grows around and, arguably better, south of you. all my fruit trees (peach, pear, fig, persimmon) need under 200 chill hours, or about half what we supposedly get.

i gotta tell you, apricots are picky. even in the midwest (where i grew up) harvests were erratic. good family friends own a large apricot orchard in northern michigan, and they have a love-hate relationship with it. when the harvest is good, they make TONS of money. but it's only good every 4-5 years...

o

My brother has an Apricot tree that he grew from a seed .
He lives in Dallas .
The tree is 15 to 20 years old and produces excellent fruit every year .
I think Dallas gets colder than zone 9 but not that much .
If an Apricot tree does not cost very much , why not give it a try ?

o

It would be interesting to try one as an experiment, but I wouldn't get my hopes up about it. I have never heard of anyone ever successfully getting one to set and mature fruit down here. It's more complicated than simply chill hours.

.....Alan.

o

The tree is not that expensive, I think $29, but the space is at premium. I would rather experiment with something that has more certain outcome. But I Luv apricots. Oh, well.

o

persimmon. that's where it's at. persimmons. mmmmmmm....

o

Ill-mannered, you are on the money! I love persimmon too! After they are frost bitten. I should just stick to my resolve to grow native, or something that's adapted to Florida (Lakeland) and not spend my time/money on experiments. But... B-17 is hard to find. So far I am planning on persimmon, passion fruit (free from my mother), paw-paw, a couple of avocado trees and some citrus, probably grapefruit. Believe it or not, I don't care for citrus as far as fruit or taste goes. I would rather have apricot. But I will not be willing to move up north just to have it. Love Florida, since 1997!

o

Hello , Im in JAX FLa. I tried a Bleinhiem Apricot tree from Willis Orchards this year. It shipped as "fruiting size" It has taken and planted well the leaves are blooming but not a flower in site. For a plant that is supposed to bear in June Id expect flowers today. I let you know my progress though

o

Hi Juliana,
There is such a thing as a tropical apricot. You could try Googling it, if interested. I have no idea if the fruit is any good. Zone 9 might even be too cold for it, I don't know.
Happy growing,
Avalon

o

I have an apricot tree. I am told it is an apricot tree. It is a beautiful evergreen tree. Very decorative. THe fruits are pretty small - more like a big grape and a browish reddish color - BUT THE FRUITS SUCK. The fruits could replace lemon for their taste.

o

If you want that juicy apricot flavor, please consider a Loquat.

They are heavy producers, and there are many varieties to choose from.

My 3' tree survived our freeze, while my Mangos died.

They can get fireblight, but are generally very hardy and disease-free trees.

Lisa

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 22:35

The tropical apricot is dovyalis X and something else, a hybrid. I think it's thorny too. Not sure how well they taste, etc, but good point that it is an option.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here