Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keiki_gw

Orchid nursery

keiki
11 years ago

This is a little off topic but I had to share with people who might understand. I have worked at a job I didn't really like for a long time, a very long time. They offered an early retirement and a little bit of cash to sweeten the deal and I jumped. I have wanted to work somewhere I could enjoy what I was doing instead of just working for money. Today it all fell together, I got a job at an orchid nursery. How can that be anything but good ?! The nursery is clean and well kept and absolutely beautiful. The owner said he is going to give me my own climate controllled greenhouse to take care of. I can't wait. Anyone else work with plants? Do you still want to spend your free time in the garden?

Comments (18)

• whgille
    11 years ago

Keiki, congratulations on your new found dream job! I think that you will enjoy working with plants and get paid for. As far as spending your free time in the garden, I am sure that you will still want to do it. It is like a chef going home and cooking...

Silvia

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    11 years ago

2nd the congratulations! Please provide info on the nursery. Name, location, specialities, etc. Maybe alerts on deep discount specials.

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    11 years ago

You are so lucky. Sometimes it happens like that. When one door closes, another one opens. Have fun! And do tell us the name of the nursery.
    Linda Leaf

• trini1trini
    11 years ago

Good or you!!! It's wonderful to be able to do something you love.
    Congrats!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Work a job you love and you'll never work a day in your career! That is SO WONDERFUL - CONGRATULATIONS! Of course you will still want to work in your own plants.

If you bring plants home, don't forget to isolate them for a couple of weeks - don't want to bring home any bad stuff!

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Congrats, I am so happy for you. :o)

• keiki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone! I am so excited. It is beautiful nursery located in Fort Myers. They do have a small online business that they want to expand after I help get some things caught up. They are growing rapidly and in time I will be helping them expand into species dendrobiums which are my favorites.

The owner told me to expect lots of free orchids and bromeliads as one of the job perks. Awww bummer.

I hope you like it http://sundanceorchids.com/index.php

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    11 years ago

After looking at the web site, Sundance orchids looks like a place I would like to work also. Too far to commute. I'm on the east coast. I might even pay to work there. Looks like it would be fun. Good luck.

• linda_leaf _z10a_southwest_fl
    11 years ago

I have a bunch of orchids from Sundance. That place is really nice. I think they bought out a lot of Venice Orchid's inventory when they closed down last year. What a fun place to work!
    Linda Leaf

• cindygardens
    11 years ago

Good for you Robin,that's right up your alley,I'm sure you'll love it.Life's too short to not do what you enjoy.Cindy

• cindygardens
    11 years ago

Good for you Robin,that's right up your alley,I'm sure you'll love it.Life's too short to not do what you enjoy.Cindy

• keiki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the well wishes and kind words.

Linda they are closer to me and I don't have any orchids from them (yet). I visited once a few years back and was dissapointed as they carry very few dendrobiums which are my favotires. The owner says he will put me in charge of changing that later on.

A big special HI to those of you who don't post offen and I haven't seen in a while.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

"A big special HI to those of you who don't post offen and I haven't seen in a while".

We've had a couple good months with the Florida cranberry we got from you at Lori's swap. Great added to the breakfast smoothies. Thanks!

• zzackey
    11 years ago

That's great! I worked in a nursery in Vero Beach several years ago called Que Linda (how pretty) Nursery. I didn't lose interest in my plants at home. I brought home several rejects. I learned alot about dendrobiums and other orchids. It was a very old fashioned nursery. We used pencil and paper. No computer. I also learned how to take cuttings of nursery plants and how to start plants from seeds. I also worked in a wholesale nursery before that. It was very hard work, but it was such a joy to see all the flowers all day long and get paid to do it!

• crueltyfre
    11 years ago

This is great news, so happy for you! Can't wait to see pictures of what you get to keep for yourself, lol.
    Lori

• keiki
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have been having a lot of trouble posting here, I keep getting an error message which is really driving me nuts. I have tried to respond to the posts here with no such luck, hopefully this will work.

Shuffles we met at Lori's trade but I think you have me confused with Barbi. I am a tall blonde who brought begonia's, bananas and tropicals.

Zackey I can't wait for that joy.

Lori I am not so good about taking pictures. I usually remember as the flower is fading and I wish I had taken the picture already.

• coffeemom
    11 years ago

Congrats Robin. Thankfully you're outta there and ended up in a fabulous place. If you're ever on Facebook, there's a Florida Orchid Growing page. It's at about 300 members. You can asked to be added and your work can be added as well. They're always looking for new places to shop.
    Kristi

• toocrazy
    11 years ago

I wish I would have read this earlier because I was there for the first time last week end. I love the Vanda's. I was in heaven walking by them. Congrats on your new fun job!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH