Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nessz79_10a

Is this a result of not enough sun...or a bigger problem?

nessz79_10a
11 years ago

Ok, so a garden that did very well in the spring did not do well AT ALL this fall. My theory is that the sun shifted with the seasons and there are now trees on that side of the yard that is blocking the sun for too much of the day. The garden got some sun, but probably not enough. I plan on moving the garden as soon as my last sad plants have given me what they can. Basically, what I have are 2 raised beds (about 4 X8 each) with a mix of potting soil and some peat. Was that the other problem? I though I added peat to my spring garden and it did well...

I planted this fall:
*Broccoli
*Lettuce- Romaine and Buttercrunch/loose leaf
*Carrots
*Roma tomatoes
*Purple Cherokee tomatoes
*1 Brandywine tomato
*Bell peppers
*Butternut squash
*Ornamental eggplants (these "pumpkins on a stick" that I stuck in the ground and they took well)

Of those plants, the broccoli grew but never fruited. The squash grew, fruited, but then seemed to get root rot or something. They slowly died and when I pulled them out of the ground, it was like all the roots were right up by the surface or they rotted and broke easily. The lettuce has been growing but at a ridiculously slow rate (doing much better in some pots on my deck). The carrots are growing but taking longer than I expected to make actual carrots (still waiting and I planted them in mid October- Nantes).

Of the tomatoes, only the Roma are doing well (and Tom's Everglades Currant which does awesome everywhere). Although they have yet to ripen, I have many roma tomatoes growing. The Purple Cherokee never fruited and the Brandywine has been pathetic all around. The bell peppers have been slowly flowering and I have 2 fruit so far.

What a failure! LOL!

Do you think that all that was caused from not enough sun or do you think there might be a bigger problem?

Comments (4)