Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Geckos and Lizards and Cold - Oh My!

SaintPFLA
14 years ago

Alright, you all know what an 'animal person' I am by now.

I keep finding immobile geckos and a few frozen lizards. The lizards are on their own, but I really like the geckos. I found a couple of geckos paralyzed on the side of the house and in plant pots and don't know if they are dead or alive.

I brought one in the house yesterday and put him in a covered turtle house. He still hasn't moved at all...but, he's not decomposing either. I tried the flashlight on him to see if I can see the heart beating. I couldn't tell...

Do I just leave them alone and stop trying to 'save' them? How do I know if the one in my house is dead or alive? Do I leave him in the house or just put him back outside?

Comments (12)

• goldenpond
    14 years ago

I hear some hibernate or play possum but not sure.
    I didnt have time to rescue any caterpillars I just got a new pup.
    I have found dead bees on my driveway next to my bee tree. Not all of them.
    Also, at one pond near where my dad lives all
    the tilapia are DEAD~.So far mine are ok but we are running
    the flow well. Not seeing any turtles but our hopes are that they buried themselves.Also one dead nuisance Iguana
    at my dads.

• sis3
    14 years ago

There is a motionless frog on our 2nd story metal roof, I noticed him first thing this morning. I think he may be a goner! If so I am just hoping he's a Cuban T. F!

• laura1
    14 years ago

On my walk a few days ago I found a lizard "frozen" in the path. He was on his back w/ legs in the air. I picked him up and held him in my cold hand up inside my long jacket sleeve. I could tell he was coming back to life as I held him. When I got home I put him under some leaf litter and hope he will finish his winter's nap there.

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

I know, we found some 'frozen' gechos in the yard. SAD. We brought some inside, but too late.

• treefrog_fl
    14 years ago

Yesterday afternoon I found an immobile dark skinned Cuban Knight Anole on my front lawn. Must have fallen out of the palm tree. I brought him inside and set up an old aquarium with a branch inside and a heating pad underneath. He finally got his bright green and yellow color back and started moving around by 8 pm. He's looking good this am.

• crueltyfre
    14 years ago

I'm an animal lover, too, but I'm hoping this kills all the fleas for good.
    Lori

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I moved the gecko and the frozen lizard popsicle to a bright, sunny rock. They both started moving around and showing signs of life.

I felt a little like Jesus bringing Lazarus back to life!

• corar4gw
    14 years ago

uh... Sassy seems to find the reptilian victims of the freeze a lot faster than I do. I've found a number of half eaten, but still frozen lizards on the back steps. So far, no more Bufo toads, thank goodness!
    cora

• SaintPFLA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karalynn...I would had a heart attack!!! I like snakes as in a 'we're all God's creatures' aspect...but, some creatures are not allowed in the house!!!!

Thank goodness the little guy had you to rescue him! I love cats (and have several cats who 'own me'...), but they are sorta like Ninja Killing-Machines.

• KaraLynn
    14 years ago

I get excited when I see a snake or any other type of critter except for really big spiders when they get in my house or cockroaches/palmetto bugs. My dad had me handling snakes by the time I could walk!

I like that term "Ninja Killing-Machines"! Makes me laugh everytime I picture the cats all wrapped up in black and stalking their victims!

Some of my cats are killing machines some aren't. My oldest Rascal, she's nineteen, used to be are great hunter although she mostly brought home live snakes and presented them to my mom who's terrified of snakes. Eleven year old Khyssa caught a frog once but had no idea what to do with it. She carried it over to me , spat it out at my feet and gave me the most disgusted look as if to say "I can't believe I put that in my mouth!". I put the slightly soggy but perfectly fine frog back outside. Now my youngest Koneko who's 3 years old is a very active hunter who regularly patrols the garage and the front garden. Although with her she prefers to play with what she catches rather then kill it outright. Usually I'm able to rescue whatever she catches before it gets hurt.

• manature
    14 years ago

The only good thing I can think of about these freezes is I keep finding bright blue Cuban treefrogs frozen SOLID. Does my heart good. I hope it kills every steenkin' one of the little bastages (excuse my fake swearing!) and I don't have to spend all my spare evenings hunting them down this spring.

I dearly love cold weather, though...all the way down to 33. When it hits 32 and starts killing stuff, I get ticked off, so I'll be glad when it stops this, even though the dead CTF's make me laugh wickedly, all the way to the trash can.

Marcia

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists