Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geckos and Lizards and Cold - Oh My!

Posted by saintpfla 10a-ish (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 9, 10 at 14:12

Alright, you all know what an 'animal person' I am by now.

I keep finding immobile geckos and a few frozen lizards. The lizards are on their own, but I really like the geckos. I found a couple of geckos paralyzed on the side of the house and in plant pots and don't know if they are dead or alive.

I brought one in the house yesterday and put him in a covered turtle house. He still hasn't moved at all...but, he's not decomposing either. I tried the flashlight on him to see if I can see the heart beating. I couldn't tell...

Do I just leave them alone and stop trying to 'save' them? How do I know if the one in my house is dead or alive? Do I leave him in the house or just put him back outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geckos and Lizards and Cold - Oh My!

I hear some hibernate or play possum but not sure.
I didnt have time to rescue any caterpillars I just got a new pup.
I have found dead bees on my driveway next to my bee tree. Not all of them.
Also, at one pond near where my dad lives all
the tilapia are DEAD~.So far mine are ok but we are running
the flow well. Not seeing any turtles but our hopes are that they buried themselves.Also one dead nuisance Iguana
at my dads.

o

There is a motionless frog on our 2nd story metal roof, I noticed him first thing this morning. I think he may be a goner! If so I am just hoping he's a Cuban T. F!

o

On my walk a few days ago I found a lizard "frozen" in the path. He was on his back w/ legs in the air. I picked him up and held him in my cold hand up inside my long jacket sleeve. I could tell he was coming back to life as I held him. When I got home I put him under some leaf litter and hope he will finish his winter's nap there.

o

I know, we found some 'frozen' gechos in the yard. SAD. We brought some inside, but too late.

o

Yesterday afternoon I found an immobile dark skinned Cuban Knight Anole on my front lawn. Must have fallen out of the palm tree. I brought him inside and set up an old aquarium with a branch inside and a heating pad underneath. He finally got his bright green and yellow color back and started moving around by 8 pm. He's looking good this am.

o

I'm an animal lover, too, but I'm hoping this kills all the fleas for good.
Lori

o

I moved the gecko and the frozen lizard popsicle to a bright, sunny rock. They both started moving around and showing signs of life.

I felt a little like Jesus bringing Lazarus back to life!

o

uh... Sassy seems to find the reptilian victims of the freeze a lot faster than I do. I've found a number of half eaten, but still frozen lizards on the back steps. So far, no more Bufo toads, thank goodness!
cora

o

I hope your gecko recovers from the cold, they are such neat creatures. I haven't seen any of the geckos or lizards that hang around the outside of my house since it started to get cold so I hope they are just hibernating somewhere.

Between Christmas and New Years while I had the garage door open so that the repairmen could fix my air handler and ducting one of my cats went outside and brought me back a present. I heard her come charging in through the pet door from the garage and then spotted her under the dining room table batting at something. That something turned out to be a very sluggish 1 to 2 foot long snake that I believe was a young rat snake. It's a good thing that I like snakes! After I rescued the poor thing from Koneko I held it for a while to warm it up and then found a nice warm rock to put it on in the back yard.

o

Karalynn...I would had a heart attack!!! I like snakes as in a 'we're all God's creatures' aspect...but, some creatures are not allowed in the house!!!!

Thank goodness the little guy had you to rescue him! I love cats (and have several cats who 'own me'...), but they are sorta like Ninja Killing-Machines.

o

I get excited when I see a snake or any other type of critter except for really big spiders when they get in my house or cockroaches/palmetto bugs. My dad had me handling snakes by the time I could walk!

I like that term "Ninja Killing-Machines"! Makes me laugh everytime I picture the cats all wrapped up in black and stalking their victims!

Some of my cats are killing machines some aren't. My oldest Rascal, she's nineteen, used to be are great hunter although she mostly brought home live snakes and presented them to my mom who's terrified of snakes. Eleven year old Khyssa caught a frog once but had no idea what to do with it. She carried it over to me , spat it out at my feet and gave me the most disgusted look as if to say "I can't believe I put that in my mouth!". I put the slightly soggy but perfectly fine frog back outside. Now my youngest Koneko who's 3 years old is a very active hunter who regularly patrols the garage and the front garden. Although with her she prefers to play with what she catches rather then kill it outright. Usually I'm able to rescue whatever she catches before it gets hurt.

o

The only good thing I can think of about these freezes is I keep finding bright blue Cuban treefrogs frozen SOLID. Does my heart good. I hope it kills every steenkin' one of the little bastages (excuse my fake swearing!) and I don't have to spend all my spare evenings hunting them down this spring.

I dearly love cold weather, though...all the way down to 33. When it hits 32 and starts killing stuff, I get ticked off, so I'll be glad when it stops this, even though the dead CTF's make me laugh wickedly, all the way to the trash can.

Marcia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here