Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any of these grow in SW Florida

Posted by limeysgrl 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 14:14

Hi,

Keep reading and learning on here. Looking for some advice if any of these plants would grow in Lehigh/Fort Myers are in full sun to cover a sloping side of the lot and crowd out weeds:
Ice Plant
Creeping Thyme
Creeping Phlox
Purple Wintercreeper
Vinca Minor

I asked a local nursery here if creeping thyme/or phlox would grow, all they said was no, with no reason and tried to sell me some jasmine that to me looked real woody, and to me wouldn't cover as ground cover.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any of these grow in SW Florida

I think Vinca grows almost anywhere. As for the Jasmine, it makes a GREAT ground cover. It's too hot and humid for most of the creeping plants, which just melt, due to mold and mildew, but not this one.

I live in NW Florida, and it's too hot and humid in my area to grow ice plant, anything close to the ground, such as creeping anything. I have never tried creeping wintergreen, but I suspect the story would be the same.

o

I live across the river in Cape Coral. My experience with the plants you listed is:

Ice plant needs partial shade in the summer. I ripped mine out years ago.

creeping thyme grows well in part shade as well. I expected it to be an annual but I have had it well over a year now.

Vinca I agree will grow anywhere as Kay said.

Phlox will grow in the winter as an annual, once summer comes it will be a gonner.

I don't know what winter creeper is.

I recommend mimosa as a beautiful ground cover for your slope.

o

I've used asiatic jasmine as a great ground cover.
The winter creeper is sometimes mis named- what you want is barleria repens - lots of google images -
I have it in purple and orange (which is the native version) and the purple grows like crazy. Flowers off and on and in one summer, two plants covered 20 square feet at least. It's hardy and will flower best in full sun.
I really like this plant.
Mimosa is also good - the former owners of my house put it in, and despite covering it with cardboard for lasagna gardening, it is all over the place!
I wish creeping thyme worked here, but I've never had luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here