Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matt1973_gw

Garden Soil

matt1973
11 years ago

Greetings all,

New gardener here need some advice.
Looking to plant some veggies this fall (tomatoes, cucs, squashes). I'm setting up a beginner raised bed about 18Cf. I need some help filling it up.
Looking for the cheapest option available for a working garden. Talking with the people at Ace hardware they are suggesting filling it with 3 parts topsoil 1 part "garden soil mix", or 3 parts top soil 1 part peat moss. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• matt1973
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Located in Jacksonville BTW

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I live an hour from Jax. you are wanting to plant summer veggies. Now is the time to plant collards,radishes, lettuce, parsley, broccoli, cauliflower, English peas,mustards,turnips and any other cold weather crop. White potatoes should be planted on Feb.14. Get seed potatoes from a feed store if you want to plant them. The veggies you want to plant should wait until at least March 1st to plant. Welcome to Florida! I live just over the border in Georgia. I am a Master Gardener and I would love to answer any question you have! Please email me at zackeysmom@yahoo.com. Please contact your local agricultural center for more info. If you are in Duval or Clay county they have an awesome amount of great gardening classes that only cost $10 and that includes a great lunch!

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

We are having good success growing in-ground in florida sand by amending with azomite and humate. For nitrogen you can buy organic nitrogen at the box stores. As it happens there is a humate supplier in Jax (mined not far away), humate international, picking it up there saves the shipping, I have been there and used it. The GA manafee humate is a bit better but the Jax stuff is not bad.

There is an azomite supplier in daytona, that's a bit of a drive but if you have reason to be there then might as well get it. Azomite is absolutely the thing for mineralizing florida sand, the citrus industry is beginning to catch onto it.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Zackey wrote: "If you are in Duval or Clay county they have an awesome amount of great gardening classes that only cost $10 and that includes a great lunch!"

Welcome to Jacksonville, Matt! Zackey is right. Below is a link to the January 2013 Duval County Extension newsletter. The Day of Gardening event on February 23 is shown in the lower right-hand corner of page one.

I don't know anything about vegetable gardening. :( I know a little about flower/ornamental gardening and would be glad to help if you have any questions.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: The Extension Connection - January 2013

• rrleesb
    11 years ago

I got the soil to fill my raised beds from mulch masters. I believe I used the #3 mix. 230 Lee Rd Jacksonville, FL 32225
    (904) 727-1100.

I'm over in the Arlington area by JU. Just getting my garden ready for my spring planting.

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    11 years ago

pnbrown,
    how much humane and azomite is needed? For me to get my head around it, for example, how much to add for a 8 gal nursery bucket with good nutritious soil. Have you used a liquid preparation of Norwegian seaweed juice? Named Maxi-crop. The active ingredient is humic acid, a root stimulus. I mostly use it on my orchids but all plants like it. Great for germinating seed.
    thanks for your help.

sory for the deletes below. each time I tried to send it I got a message faied. Oh well...

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:29

11 years ago

delete

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:27

11 years ago

delete

This post was edited by shavedmonkey on Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:25

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews