Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango Question

Posted by bluesky7 10b (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 25, 12 at 14:28

I'm quite experienced at growing Haden Mangoes. Had at least 1,500 on our 45 feet tall tree last year. The issue is that last year this time my tree was covered with blossoms. This year I cannot seem to find any! Could it be the tree is "resting" this year? I haven't had a chance to put much fertilizer on it so maybe that's part of the problem. Think I did put a little on the lawn around it several months ago.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks.

Sheri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango Question

None of my trees have flowered yet and they usually start in mid December. They all seem to be late this year. Don't know why.

o

Ours (south side of Tampa Bay) started flowering heavily in December, very early. Currently have lots of small fruit on the tree.

Last year was two flowerings, early and late, and very few fruit.

Not sure what's up, but sure am thankful we are going to have more fruit this year. Well, at least until I have to start bagging the rotten stuff. :-)

o

My young trees are late this year too...my guess is because we've had a very warm winter so far. Cold temps seems to initiate or push them into blooming faster, Again, its just a guess?

I'm totally okay with them just now starting to bloom, maybe I will get more fruits this summer as long as we don't have another killer freeze. It seems like my blooms always gets nailed by the freeze when they bloom in December. Last winter I had severe damage on my Mango trees and killed almost all my blooms...only one of my trees produced. Hoping for a frost free (for the rest of the winter).

o

Thanks for the input, guys.

Yes, it's probably weather related. Our winter has been very warm so far and maybe the tree needs the colder weather to spark it to produce blossoms. I think my tree may be resting a bit this year, too, 'cause of the heavy amount it produced last year.

Keep me posted on how your trees do, okay?

Thanks,

Sheri :-)

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 11:39

My mango tree is just now starting to get buds. But my peach tree is looking good. :o)

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 27, 12 at 17:37

I don't see anything on mine yet...sally

o

Took these pics today...now if only we can keep the freeze away for the rest of winter I might get some Mangoes.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 16:34

Thiss morning when I went out back, the mango there is full of blooms ! just overnight ! it is the smaller, newer one and gets more sun... the big older one in front is partly shaded by the Magnolia but it does have some blooms starting on the sunnier-side.....I was sure worried there for awhile....sally

o

Great news Sally...I'm sure you were very excited to see them! I bet you'll have lots of mangoes this summer, lucky you!

Nancy

o

Whoo Hoo! After I wrote that about not seeing mango blossoms, lo and behold, some little blossoms are starting at the ends of the branches, a lot like Sally's. Guess the trees are just "late bloomers" this year.

Happy Gardening.

Sheri :-)

o

I was thinking about this...didn't you guys get some rain last week? I had some too, although not much...I'm guessing the rain helped bring out the blooms? Couldn't hurt...Either way great news!!

o

We've had little or no rain here in S. Florida for weeks. Maybe our lawn sprinklers helped. We have well-water sprinklers.

Praying we get a good, soaking rain real soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here