Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

Tampa Swap in spring?

crueltyfre
12 years ago

Anyone interested in doing it again this year? I"m still home-bound with dad (91 now!), so it's still easier for me to host if that's ok with everyone.

I was thinking that we need some new people with new stuff to come. The "regulars" that have been coming for years have everything from the other "regulars" lol. I tried passing out flyers at the USF spring sale and got two new people to come last yeare. Plus I put the sign in the street weeks ahead of time and got one person who showed up as it was over. Anyone have any ideas on how to get new gardeners to show up and share?

If we do it, I'd like to do it after the Tropiflora and USF sales, so it would be late April/May. Let me know what you think.

Lori

Comments (12)

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Talk to some of the local garden clubs.

• tinael01
    12 years ago

That sounds like fun, Lori! I'll come again. The Pinellas Gardening Collective on facebook might be a good place to advertise. Maybe the garden fairies group on facebook too since that is partly local.

• ibarbidahl
    12 years ago

Hehe- doesn't that make it more like summer? LOL...

But seriously I will be there if at all possible. Though I count on something going massively wrong like always. You are near me so if I can help out let me know.

Barbie

• keiki
    12 years ago

I was thinking of hosting one down here this year. It has been a long time since I have hosted one.

I enjoyed your swap the last time I came and would be interested in coming again. As far as the regulars have all the other regulars stuff what you all need to do is buy one or two cool new plants or seeds each year and propagate. Doesn't everyone buy at least a couple new things each year? Also you can trade garden pots, garden junk you have tired of that someone else will love, fresh fruit, fresh eggs, things you make etc. I personally love to trade all kinds of things. In April/May I will have fresh peaches.

• saldut
    12 years ago

I'll be there, barring something drastic happening.... I have been making cuttings, etc. right along, have 4 O'clocks, a bunch of those little bird's nest, butterfly weed, lots of odds & ends, lots of magazines, I never toss them ! snapdragons.. etc. if I can help let me know, and will bring edibles--non-fattening of course..... sally

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

I haven't actually made it to a swap yet, does that make me a new person? I would love to come, barring scheduling conflicts. Though we are contemplating a trip in early May...

Assuming my seeds do well and I am able to be there I'll have pigeon peas and choco bells to share. Oh, and some of the Everglades cherry toms if people still need those. :)

• User
    12 years ago

we did an interesting christmas swap meet here. was contacted by a garden webber wanting a certain plant. we met on christmas morning in the empty(closed) hd parking lot. i brought a bunch of plants and was highly rewarded with one of the best breakfast cakes i have ever eaten! have swapped locally here for cookies too...:)

• pabrocb
    12 years ago

I'd like to come again, but will be leaving around May 1st to get my Cape gardens going.

Carol B. Sarasota

• crueltyfre
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, looks like enough are interested in doing it again.

I like having it after the two big plant sales..so we'll all will have lots of old unwanted plants to get rid of plus cuttings of the new stuff to share, lol. So how about we aim for April 21 or 28? We can firm up details later on.

I'll start lots of sugar maple hibiscus so don't bother buying any at the sales!
    Lori

• keiki
    12 years ago

The 28th wont work for me but if you do the 21st put my name on one of those sugar maples.

• ibarbidahl
    12 years ago

It's on my calendar Lori! :-)

• saldut
    12 years ago

Well, I have been busy making cuttings for the Swap!! Blood Leaf, 4 O'clocks, Lady Margaret, Honeysuckle, Coleus, Jade, Milkweed, and more more more ! sally