Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

what can be grown in Florida in summer?

I'd eventually like to move to FL to grow stuff there, so I'd like to get some info regarding the growing seasons.

I know that with the exception of a few crops, it's too hot to grow anything in any part of FL in the summer months (June, July, August)

The few things I know can be grown in FL in summer are...

okra
lima beans

long bean (an Asian bean that does well in subtropical/tropical climates)

melons

I had a few questions regarding some other stuff that might be able to be grown.

I know that winter squash of any kind needs a long, warm growing season. Although the long days and hot temps in FL are perfect for growing winter squash, I'm still a little hesitant
to grow it. The concern isn't with the actual plant itself growing but rather pollination.

I know when temperatures become too hot (80 to 90 degrees) that the pollen becomes sterile, and blossoms drop, or you get immature fruit that shrivels up and dies, as a result of lack of pollination.

Would it be possible to grow winter squash starting in summer months (June or July) or would the temperatures in summer be too hot that it would cause pollination issues described above?

I have the same questions about starting melon from seed in summer months too.

Also I was wondering if there any varieties of lettuce considered 'tropical' or subtropical that they could be grown in summer in FL?

Comments (5)