Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what can be grown in Florida in summer?

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 16:00

I'd eventually like to move to FL to grow stuff there, so I'd like to get some info regarding the growing seasons.

I know that with the exception of a few crops, it's too hot to grow anything in any part of FL in the summer months (June, July, August)

The few things I know can be grown in FL in summer are...

okra
lima beans

long bean (an Asian bean that does well in subtropical/tropical climates)

melons

I had a few questions regarding some other stuff that might be able to be grown.

I know that winter squash of any kind needs a long, warm growing season. Although the long days and hot temps in FL are perfect for growing winter squash, I'm still a little hesitant
to grow it. The concern isn't with the actual plant itself growing but rather pollination.

I know when temperatures become too hot (80 to 90 degrees) that the pollen becomes sterile, and blossoms drop, or you get immature fruit that shrivels up and dies, as a result of lack of pollination.

Would it be possible to grow winter squash starting in summer months (June or July) or would the temperatures in summer be too hot that it would cause pollination issues described above?

I have the same questions about starting melon from seed in summer months too.

Also I was wondering if there any varieties of lettuce considered 'tropical' or subtropical that they could be grown in summer in FL?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what can be grown in Florida in summer?

Hot peppers are their absolute best when the pods are picked in the summer. They prefer a bit of shade and you do need to water them each morning, but during that time you might have 100 peppers on each plant. They are three feet tall by august.

o

For greens there's malabar spinach, okinawa spinach, and callaloo.

o

It depends on where you want to be in Florida: North, Central or South.
In South Florida nothing much grows well with the exception of Everglades tomatoes-maybe.
But you get fruit as a tradeoff:bananas , mangoes, citrus, etc.

o

Sweet potatoes do great in the summer time, even in South Florida. They love the heat. Just beware of nematodes.

o

• Posted by JCTsai 8B - Yulee, FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 9:40

Bitter melon long squash ( Asian squash), Yard long bean, Sweet potatoes, luffa, Yu Choy, carrot, pumkin, Napa cabbage, daikon radish, cilantro, Tomatoes, cowpeas, hot pepper, gingers, garlic, green onion, chinese chives, sweet basil, Brocolli, Cauliflower, swiss chard, etc all doing well in north Florida

This post was edited by JCTsai on Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 18:25

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here