Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jason83_gw

Peach Tree from Lowes - Flordabelle or Flordaprince??

jason83
11 years ago

I picked up a Bruce Plum (hoping it's a pollinator for the Excelsor; those were the two available but I can't find much info online) from the local Lowes along with a Flordabelle Peach. At least that's what the label with the photo says...

When I was planting it I took a look at the little yellow tag that's wrapped around the trunk - and it says Flordaprince Peach from Simpson Nurseries. So which variety did I get? Is there any way to tell the difference, or to find out from Lowes??

Also, does anyone know if Bruce and Excelsor are suitable pollinators for each other as far as plums go? If not, what are the best varieties to cross with these two that I've now got? Assuming they even are what they say they are...lol

Comments (4)

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

If I had to bet I would say it is a FloridaPrince...which is a good tree. But who knows....... Honestly you are so much better off buying bareroot peaches when they are available in your area. You can watch Craigs list to find them. Not only will the bareroot trees take off and grow better they are much cheaper.

• jason83
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bamboo! I bought this Flordaprince (?), along with the plum at Lowes on clearance. They were $5 each and taller than I was. Indeed their $20 trees are a bit steep and probably they don't have the best variety, but those clearance trees are hard to beat :) I like the fact that the Lowes also buys a lot of their stuff from local growers here in Florida.

Do I just search on craigslist for peach trees? I never would have thought to check there for fruit trees and the like...

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Jason,

While the clearance Lowes tree might just take off I just prefer the bareroot trees. In fact on your tree if it is dormant I would bareroot it lol. Just hose all the soil off and plant it straight in your native soil with no amending. Though at $5 that is hard to beat. I just cut the peach trees off at about 3 feet tall and make them branch from there anyway. I do love how fast those peaches grow. Finger thick tree to tennis ball thick in a season is hard to beat.

The reason I figured it was a florida prince is the bottom tags don't come off easily and the top picture tags do.

Yep just search Craig's list for peach tree, well I use www.searchtempest.com and just put in how many miles you are willing to travel. Toward spring the trees will get posted, like February or March. Where are you located btw?

Bluestar nursery in Hawthorne Florida gets 1000's of peach trees a year. They buy them bareroot then pot them but I just hose the dirt off of them anyway. They are like $12 per. They also have a couple dozen different varieties of blueberries and many thousand of them if anyone wants them. Cheap and nice plants. Friendly place. I have no affiliation with them just like the place.

• jason83
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfortunately it wasn't a bottom tag... both tags were on the tree itself. According to Lowes, the nursery puts them both on (including the one with the Lowes logo, picture, etc). So it's hard to say which it is.

I've already planted it and so far have had great success with these potted trees - in 2012 I managed to snag up a cape fear and pawnee pecan, anna and dorsett golden apple, 3 wonderful pomegranate, excelsor and bruce plum, flordaprince/flordabelle (??) peach, green ischia and brown turkey fig, orient and seckel/sugar pear, and a fuyu persimmon, all on clearance from Lowes. Also quite a few ornamentals, all 75% off! :)

I'll be sure to have a looksee at Craigslist and also check out Bluestar...that's about 1.5 hours SW of me. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County