o
'my jewels' are popping!

Posted by wallisadi deland (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 31, 12 at 16:13

Photobucket jewel orchid

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'my jewels' are popping!

Wow! Very pretty! Are they a soil orchid?

o

Wow, your jewels look really healthy. I almost lost mine to mealy bug last year so I'm happy they're still alive, not that that keeps me from wanting more. Ever gone to EFG orchids?

o

I have never heard of them--they look neat! Will have to look them up.
Marcia

o

Mine too! I love this plant - seeing your pics makes me realize I need to devide mine - thanks
Hester

Photobucket

o

divide, cut, they root so easy, have ten or more pots of them..pretty cold hardy to.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 19:28

Yes they are, beautiful!!! Not sure what the problem is here, every time I've tried them they die. Heat and humidity? Salt intolerance? :-(

o

Mine are blooming too, but they are very leggy. Do you pinch them back, or just take cuttings of the ends to keep them more compact?

o

What are they?

o

Jewel orchid - best grown in pots and like water.
I don't pinch yet but mine haven't become too leggy yet.
Hester

o

just cut them and pot'em, mg soil, easy.....i've stuck a few broken off pieces in a pot while passing it and ya got more....orchid nurseries command a high buck for 'em....EZ.:)

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 19:45

EZ.:)

So you say, I guess I'll stick with the lack of salt tolerance :-(

Tom

o

Mine is blooming also! The correct name is Ludisia Discolor! Yhey are a ground orchid & so easy to grow!!

o

Mine grow in small pots on the sill outside my kitchen window. At night if I turn the nearby porch light on, it gives a beautiful glow to the stems/buds/flowers. I look forward all year for these stems to emerge.
Hester, the view from above of yours filling a round pot is wonderful!

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 13:21

Tom, I can't grow them either. I've half dead ones I am going to repot now and try again. Wish me luck.

o

At about 3/4 bloom
Photobucket

Hester

o

Beautiful! I lost mine last year before it ever bloomed :(

Katie

o

lady at the farmer's market on 44 in deland, 10 bucks for a four inch cup of 'em....yesterday..i give them away.....incredible!

o

Hester, mine looks about like yours! can't seem to post pics here!

o

rene-
there are lots of instructions on how to post pics - you may have already tried so here's my tip of the day! I can't do it on Firefox but I can on Internet Explorer. Probably my fault, but as long as it works, I'll leave it be!
Enjoy your orchid - I brought mine in and have it on my table -it made me happy to look at it while I was obsessing about the cold!
Hester

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here