Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Firecrackers

I recently picked up two firecracker plants (Russelia equisetiformis) from the Butterfly Rainforest Plant Sale. One is a the typical red variety and the other is a cream color. I have a question on making it look fuller. Each plant by itself looks a bit spindly. I realize they are recent acquisitions and only JUST planted so it might take time to fill out. But looking at many pictures online, most specimens also have the spindly look to them. However, the reason I picked these up is because when we were at Sea World in... November I think, my wife saw them along one of the walkways and they were these thick, lush plants and not the spindly ones seen online (and in parking lots around town) and she 'insisted' that I include them in one of my beds.

If I had to take a wild stab in the dark, I would say that the botanists/grounds-keepers at Sea World are constantly pruning back their Firecracker plants to keep all the stems the same length and give the illusion of full plants. Does anyone else grow these in their gardens? Do they grow full or spindly for you? And do you prune them or just let them go?

Here are the two I got. Come spring I plan on taking cuttings and having more specimens around the yard. And yes, that's the branches of my Christmas tree providing extra mulch/protection until winter is truly over (and not just seemingly over with all this wonderful weather).

This post was edited by Leekle2ManE on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 20:18

Comments (16)

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I have both as well - they are really scrawny, but I have them tucked into some shorter plants and they look o.k. - I've learned to live with their look.

• echobelly
    11 years ago

I planted two a couple years ago, and they don't look much better than yours. I have seen some in pots at a botanical garden that were huge full plants, though.
    I've got an idea they may be high maintenance.

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

I have a very large plant growing in a large clay pot next to my front door. The only thing in the pot is the yellow/cream colored firecracker and it gets watered regularly. The plant is fairly full during the summer although right now it's rather scraggly due to getting hit by a couple light frosts. One thing to look out for with this plant is that whereever the trailing braches/stems hit the ground they will start a new plant. I had to remove over a dozen plants from around the base of the pot when they started choking out some daylilies.

I have some of the red firecracker growing in another pot that doesn't get watered as often and that plant does look pretty scraggly.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

It is not a high maintenance plant. My friend had it planted in the shade and she was a snowbird. I doubt she ever fertilized it. It grows easily from cuttings. I didn't know the hummers loved it. I will have to find a sheltered place to plant it!

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Zack, I don't know if you would want this up there. It's considered a tropical plant and doesn't take the cold very well. I think I might may even have to protect mine during colder winters. If you want it around your house, I would suggest potting it so you can move it around and bring it inside on the colder nights. However, given you are a MG, you probably already have protection plans in mind!

I was thinking of taking cuttings in spring, as stated above, but after reading Karalynn's warning, I may just put some empty pots of soil around them and let the stems touch the pots until they root. So... umm... Pot Layering?

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

What a pretty and inviting entry, sis3! :)

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

I agree, that is a wonderful entry! What is the red leafes plant that is growing along the sidewalk and in front of the firecracker?

Kara

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

They do like moist, rich soil - have you looked @ Floridata yet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Russelia equisetiformis

• sis3
    11 years ago

Thank you Shear and Karalynn. The red leaved plant is Maple Leaf Hibiscus, Karalynn.

I agree that Firecracker is a low maintenance plant. Mine is never fertilized and apart from trimming it back once or twice each year, I leave it alone. It gets full morning sun. There was a Firecracker in a neighbor's yard that was totally neglected for years with no watering other than rain. It thrived.

Maple Leaf Hisbiscus

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Carol, I've looked at the Floridata site (thanks though) as well as the UF/IFAS information on the plant, as well as a few other sites. But even the picture on the Floridata site shows a spindly looking specimen.

I have mine in a nice, sunny spot that is on the low part of my yard (I live on a gentle slope) so that it should get plenty of run-off... if there is any. All this sand I'm on top of, we rarely get true run-off anywhere except the roads. However, I plan on running a drip line from my rainbarrel to make sure they get all the water they need to grow nice and lush.

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

My experience with Firecracker plants is that they all start out lopsided and spindly. BUT... they all end up large and fuffy after a few growing seasons. Good luck!

• SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    7 years ago

Michael,

You still have those firecrackers? How did they fill out?

• User
    7 years ago

I've started keeping mine in big pots, it takes awhile but they can be very invasive. I like them and I have seen great huge mass plantings of them that look awesome but like I said, they become out of hand and shouldn't be put in the ground unless you like that look. I had to pull mine all out of an area a couple of years ago because they took over. And yes at first they look straggly, give them time. I like them because they take very little care and the hummers go to them. When the foliage gets really long it bends to the ground and takes root wherever it touches, like mentioned previously. It's easy to pull out so you can share with friends.

• SweetMonkeyCheese Z9 Tampa
    7 years ago

Iam using flower stakes to prop them up.

• suncoastflowers
    7 years ago

The condo we rented when we first relocated had a really nice hedge of plumeria and Firecracker plants. They were all really large and didn't seem to be high maibtenance.