Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenie1_gw

Tree suggestions please

greenie1_gw
10 years ago

I live in Ft. Lauderdale, not near the ocean, and need a nice looking tree for the middle of my front yard that grows to about 30 feet, had a broad canopy, and takes full sun. Thanks.

Comments (16)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Deciduous or evergreen?

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    10 years ago

When we lived in Coral Springs, they made us plant a live oak to replace a black olive tree. I don't really like live oaks, but they actually planted it (where they wanted it!) before I could buy a replacement tree. (weird town)

I like the look of Royal Poinciana and Jacaranda trees, but it really depends on what you like.

This tool can help you get some ideas of what you may like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Tree Selector

• greenie1_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd prefer evergreen but I'm not particular. I thought of live oak but they are so overused here and like you I'm not a big fan. Thanks for the link.

• greenscaper1
    10 years ago

Some Tabebuia's would fit your requirements in height and are very prolific bloomers. I would not consider them to be evergreen however.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    10 years ago

Filicium decipiens - Japanese Fern Tree - Evergreen, although it will drop leaves in a drought - grows to 30 feet, plus or minus, cold tolerant.

• stuartwanda
    10 years ago

I like that fern tree but have never seen one. I like the lechee tree also but you should like the fruit too. It has a nice canopy!

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    10 years ago

Japanese fern trees are used all over the place as street trees here in South Florida. One community where I did some design work had over 100 of them planted along their major roadways. These two, across the street from me, are a job I landscaped in 2002. They went in the ground 8' tall from 15-gallon cans. They both tilted in one of the hurricanes several years later and we never got them straight again. The one on the right was tore up by Wilma and the homeowner's trimming efforts. Damn good tree for shade. Most big box stores sell them or they will order one for you. Bushel Stop usually has them for less than $100.

{{gwi:786866}}

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

See my post for Sweet Viburnum (Viburnum odoratissimum) as well as other suggestions in the thread linked below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Need suggestions for (tree for) this space

• scogebear
    10 years ago

I would recommend a Live Oak, Gumbo Limbo or Mahogany. My favorite is the Live Oak, but the spot you describe might be more suitable for a Gumbo Limbo.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Live oaks do support a lot of native FL wildlife, so if you enjoy birdwatching, they can be a good choice.

• rchawk3
    10 years ago

With all the spiral whitefly problems lately its probably best to avoid the gumbo limbo. For just a big green tree Mahogany is probably the best bet.

If you want something flowering Royal Poinciana and Jacaranda are both quick growing. Colville Glory Tree (Colvillea racemosa) is a less common tree that is simply amazing when its in full bloom. Shaving Brush Tree (Psedobombax ellipticum) is also beautiful but is leafless for awhile before it blooms

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 years ago

Does anybody besides me find the smell of blooming Jacarandas unpleasant? They are so lovely in bloom, but up close - ick!

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

How far north (in FL) can one successfully grow Delonix regia (Royal Poinciana)? For an ornamental species which still attains enough size/height to offer shade, that one seems hard to beat. Then again, as far as FL gardening goes, I'm about as newb as it gets! I don't even live there (Yet).

+oM

• thonotorose
    10 years ago

+om,

In the Tampa bay area you rarely see them any more. They are all over Sarasota. Though new ones were planted on Bayshore Blvd near downtown for the RNC a couple of years ago. I look forward to seeing how they do.

There is one on Davis Islands. Water on all sides there.

No too many years ago, there was another one in that area, off of Cleveland street. It was massive. It was planted on the south side of a three story wooden building. Long gone, though.

Don't know about the east coast.

• eric_9b
    10 years ago

Try a Paradise Tree, Simarouba glauca. It is a SoFL native and a great specimen.

For a nice flowering tree, Cassia leptophylla, Gold Medallion Tree, is excellent.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Thanks Thonotorose. Sure seems like zones have been migrating southward-over a number of decades now-in terms of what will grow where in FL. And no, not intended to be a comment on global climate or change thereof, just a Florida thing. Thinking about what has happened with the citrus industry, etc. here.

I like those suggestions offered by Eric 9b as well.

+oM