Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Chinese jujubes or pineapple guava?

castorp
9 years ago

I keep reading about how these are easy, good tasting fruits for Florida. Has anyone grown and/or tasted them? What did you think? I'm especially interested in improved grafted varieties (like the ones they sell at Just Fruits and Exotics).
Thanks,
Bill

Comments (5)

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Bill

When I went to Robert is Here in South Florida, I bought some fruits to sample, some were the jujubes and pineapple guava. As usual I made the family try them too so I don't have to eat them alone.:)
    We all have our favorites, but I believe we have to have some fillers too. It is better an okay fruit than no fruit at all.
    The pineapple guava takes some time to fruit but it is very ornamental.
    The jujube was okay tasting but like I said you can't compare to the favorites, that being said I would not mind one in my yard.....

{{gwi:2125634}}

Silvia

• castorp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for telling me about your experience with them, Silvia. I think I'm going to hold off on them, at least until I get a chance to sample them myself. Maybe I will be able to go to Robert is Here one day. What a funny sign!

I've been meaning to tell you: that Indigo Cherry you gave me is the most vigorous tomato I've ever grown. I planted it in the ground, and it is HUGE. It's also perfectly healthy, without a sign of disease on a single leaf, despite almost no care from me. I've never seen anything like it. I still haven't tried the tomatoes from it because they're not ripe yet. But they are very interesting--almost black. can't wait to taste them!

Thanks again,

Bill

• whgille
    9 years ago

Hi Bill

You are right on holding off, when we have small yards we have to be selective. The family did not like them at all and if I have to compare them with the dates in Arizona there is no chance.:)

I thought the same thing about the Indigo blueberries, mine was planted later than the others and by this time in the tomato garden I don't do anything either not even watering. I am in awe of the Green Zebra cherry not even close to the other Green Zebra, it is like a big cherry with the stripes but it is unbelievable productive, I am giving away boxes of the fruit.

Your Indigo variety should ripe any minute, I have been eating mine after the long wait, I was afraid that were going to be sour but no, they are tasty, they should be slightly soft and have a tinge of red on the bottom. Green Zebra cherry is in the middle.

{{gwi:2125635}}

Silvia

• castorp
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful tomatoes, Silvia! So glad to hear the indigo is tasty. I grew the regular green zebra years ago. Ana really liked the taste but they often had trouble with blossom end rot for me. I'll have to check out the cherry version.

Bill

• new-beginning
    9 years ago

my husband's grandfather always had a ju-jube tree in his backyard. They are now highly recommended for my area, as well. On his trees, the fruit was rather on the small side, about the size of a very large olive. The fruit taste was rather like that of a crisp apple, but due to the large seed (almost the size of an almond) you got very little flesh, as compared to the seed. They were the sweetest if you left them on the tree until they just started getting brown (but if you waited too long, they tended to almost ferment). CMM