Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with chill hours! (for growing fruit trees)

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 19:16

I found a map that lists chill hours for FL.

It's broken up into different regions based on what area of FL it is (central, southern, or northern) and tells how many chill hours each area of FL gets.

I'm trying to figure out where on the map Ocala would be, and essentially how many chill hours (roughly) Ocala gets annually.

The map is from a site called just fruits and exotics, which
specializes in selling fruit trees specifically for FL and other states with low chill hours.

Here's what the map says....

Pan Handle (tallahassee, pensacola, etc.) 660-700 chill hours

Northeastern part of FL (Jacksonville and Gainsville area) 420-540

The other areas are 420-540 chill hours (I don't know what cities are in this area, that's what I'm trying to figure out) and 310-420 (further south, again I don't know what cities).

The rest of it is southern FL and is 200 chill hours or less.

Here is the link of where the chill hour map is listed you'll have to copy and paste it manually into browser, as I don't know how to get to display link where you click on it.

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/USDAZones.htm

Just scroll down and you'll see the chill hour map.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with chill hours! (for growing fruit trees)

Ocala is in the 310 to 420 range of chill hours by the map you refer to on just fruits & exotics. Many chill hour maps differ so I averaged a few of them for you and come up with 365 to 485 as the average chill hours for Ocala. Keep in mind the actual location will make a big difference (like proximity to a lake, or elevation, open pastures, heavily wooded, in the city or out in the country, etc.)

I hope this helps,
Lou

This post was edited by loufloralcityz9 on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 21:19

o

I would ask someone at your local agricultural center. They usually have good knowledge about that. Also EDIS has an online site. Type HS765 in the seach engine and it should come up. It has a chill hour map and talks about various fruit tree needs.

o

Lou, what are our chill hours here in lovely Citrus county? I live between you and BR. And do you (or BR) have a recommendation for a particular variety or two of peach tree for this area?

o

Tru,

The chill hours they assign for our location are 310 to 420 but it varies quite a bit due to actual location. My chill hours are actually a lot higher than BR gets even though he is north of me. I have huge pastures to my north so the cold north winds sweep across them and hit me here. My elevation is 119 feet on the top of a hill. Please ask BR for the best peach tree for your area... I keep killing peach trees here due to the fierce winds.

Lou

o

Audra,

Florida Prince seems popular, UF beauty. Blue Star in Hawthorne has them for like $14 in February and have a lot of different varieties.

o

Hi

Here's a great link. It shows you the current chill hours for your area:

Click on the Tools link. Select Degree Days and Chill Hour then Chill Hours Calculator.

You can then select the nearest station to you and see its info.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://agroclimate.org/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here