Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Is anyone growing Shrimp Plant 'Fruit Cocktail'? (photos)

Has anyone tried growing the variety of shrimp plant called "Fruit Cocktail"? I spent some of my Christmas "mad money" and I just love the colors. The flowers are not yellow as they appear in the photos; they are a true lime-green.

Is it easy to grow, or temperamental? Can it be grown in-ground in north Florida, or should it be kept in a pot? I don't want to lose it next winter if it won't come back from the roots. Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (17)

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

Very easy to grow .
    Very easy to make cuttings root .
    Mine came from cuttings and grew well in ground all Summer .
    Froze to the ground with hard freezes last season .
    Plant came back beautifully .
    I fully expect it to bounce back in the Spring-
    even though it currently looks like it was hit by a flame thrower .

Try both - in ground and cuttings .
    Nice specimen you purchased .

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, gatormomx2! Glad to hear it is easy. Those words are sweet music to my ears.

I would love to have propagated by cuttings - I have got to start going to some of these swaps - now that I have been gardening long enough to have things to swap!

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Hummers love this. I hope it does well for you. Enjoy!!!!

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

I am further south and don't get as cold, but mine is several years old and hasn't been a problem at all. I love this plant. :o)

• jwnesmith
    14 years ago

We have too many of them! Be careful, they spread agressively. They grow very well in Tallahassee.

Original Author
    14 years ago

I meant to ask - shade or sun? Can they take full sun?

jwnesmith - thanks for the aggressive warning - I will watch them now that you have told me.

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

Mine are on the north side of the house, which means they get summer sun and winter shade so I'd guess they'd be happy anywhere.
    Mine have spread but they make a great ground cover. (I only go at them aggressively when they climb out of the bed)You can stick potted Ti plants in with them for height if you choose shade.

Original Author
    14 years ago

coffeemom, what a good idea. (by the way, I LOVE coffee - you as well?!)

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

Mmmm - coffee . And chocolate .
    We need a plant that combines both smells !

• scents_from_heaven
    14 years ago

Yes, coffeemom LOVES coffee and several other beverages along with good salsa. You will enjoy your plant just make sure you plant it where it can spread and then keep it in control as needed. It is beautiful mixed with Ti plants or ornamental grasses.

Yes, you do need to start attending swaps and we do not expect new gardeners to bring anything to swap and you will go home with so many plants you will think you have won the lottery. I have plants and then lose them because most of them are in containers and if I get sick or work lots of hours my housemate does not know how to tend for them. I just came out of a year of illness and mourning and I lost a lot of my plants due to neglect and not caring but I am so sorry now and I am beginning over with a lot of stuff and I will have things to trade and would love to meet you. Please plan on attending the next one and fawnridge's swap is the swap of the year. Good luck with your garden. Linda

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

This looks like the plant my wife brought home thinking it was the green shrimp plant. But shouldn't this be called the "Shrimp Cocktail" ;>). Anyhow it's planted on the NW side of our house in full sun and has so far stood up to this freezing weather, so I would say it's pretty tough.

john

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Hmmm, mine never spread. Isn't that strange, I've had it for years. Does it spread from seed or runners from the roots? Maybe I've weeded out seedlings and didn't know it. :o)

• coffeemom
    14 years ago

It gets leggy, flops and roots but it has to get really big first. I'd take a picture but I can't work the camera with mittens!!!!!

John, green shrimp is a weed that malachite(sp) butterflies use for food. It's taking over my lawn.

Kristi
    thankful she has her mug of hot Godiva hazelnut coffee

• sharbear50
    14 years ago

Wow, that is a very pretty plant. I will have to look for it in the spring at the stores. Thanks for showing it. I love all the pictures everyone shows on here.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharbear, I bought it at an Ace Hardware nursery. I am a big fan of Aces, especially for less common plants. I have purchased many of my "good" camellias, amaryllis bulbs and other unique plants at Aces. It seems that they have a higher level of plant selection - I don't mean more or wider selection, but more unique or less common plants - than the big box stores.
    Carol

• loulabelleblue
    14 years ago

I am northeast of Tampa in Zephyrhills. We just moved into a new house and have shrimp plants growing in 2 areas of the yard. In one area, the blooms are all lime green, and the others have some pink on them. All are well established. They are under an oak canopy and seem to be happy in the shade. (I say this with one caveat: I haven't seen them in a couple of days, so I'm not sure how they're faring with the weather.)

Thanks for the info on Ace. I haven't checked out their plant selection, but I will now.

Original Author
    13 years ago

Just want to post that I did plant this in the ground and it looked deader than a doornail after this winter. And then - - it came back fully! You guys were right! It is about the same size now as it is in the original photos - except still all lime green. I started cuttings this afternoon - we'll see if I get any of them to root.

Carol

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?