13 years ago

Big Brother makes base and marks ground

Nick Tills

Plants cukes, dill, chives, zinnias and waters

Then water's his cabbages

Comments (25)

• dirtygardener73
    13 years ago

Cool! My son had his own garden from age 6 to 12 when we lived in the country. He had one 4 x 4 spot, where he got to grow fun stuff like stripey tomatoes, round cucumbers, yard-long beans and yellow zucchini. He always picked things that were different. He told me the other day he missed gardening.

• amberroses
    13 years ago

That's so neat that he does it himself. Kids should learn to enjoy nature and working in the garden.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know just what you mean! We help him with the hard bits. It is great to do it with someone and not so great if it's too hard. He said to me "this is so much fun, Mom!" I said "what, honey? Planting the seeds?" He said "no, watching how big they grow!" He is 9 - I hope when he's a grown man we can still share our love of gardening!

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

That's great that he enjoys it and he will carry that knowledge for years to come! Love that little tiller.
    Your making great memories together.

• annafl
    13 years ago

Tina, you are blessed to have kids to share this wonderful hobby. I am sure it will get under his skin-looks like it has already- and you will be gardening buddies forever! I tried and tried with my kids to no avail.

Anna

• tomncath
    13 years ago

I just love to see baby pictures! Well, baby gardeners anyway ;-)

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

Nick looks like he is having a really good time. Do you suppose he might enjoy growing some Mexican Sour Gherkin? They are little bitty and fun:

I could send you/him a few seeds, they germinated and started easily.

~dianne

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is so sweet, Dianne! I am sure he'd love it and it would make him feel very 'included' to get a gift like that.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nick's Cucumbers and Zinnias are starting to sprout! No dill or chives yet - but this gardener is a happy boy! His excitement is so fun to experience. Ha Ha! look what he pulled on to wear when I told him he had seedlings! I'll have to have the stripes and checks talk with him.

The rain was very good for his garden. The cabbages leaves were resting on the ground, but they are now all pointing heavenward. Hallelujah!

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Looking good Tina, nobody ever said gardening requires fashion coordination ;-)

Tom

• goldenpond
    13 years ago

That is so awesome has he started a worm farm yet?

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No - no worm farm. :) I don't know how to do that but it does sound like a fun project. Wierdly enough Nick isn't the bug lover most little boys are - he just said, "that's okay, Mom, we'll just use the compost we're already making." Go figure - I'm more interested than he is! We've got a compost heap cooking with oak leaves, coffee grounds from starbucks, expired garden plants, and horse stable sweepings in it though. Nick likes going into Starbucks and asking for the grounds. I sure wish I could have recorded the "WOOOOOHOOOO!" he gave this morning when I told him he had seedlings. That's how I feel when I have seedlings too...but kids are much more expressive!

Hi there, Tom! Nick totally loved the Everglades you gave him. One of them had a little split in it and Nick 'discovered' the seeds inside it for the first time. He started talking about how to save them himself. Then he quickly said how he might not like to eat tomatoes, but he could grow them for me to eat. :) My money is on this gardening hobby turning him into a much more healthy eater.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carrot Harvest!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Wooooooooooo Nick! Way to go! Excellent harvest! Bravo!

• loufloralcityz9
    13 years ago

Nice carrots, now all he has to do is find a horse or rabbit to feed them to.

Lou

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Fresh carrots for dinner, yum! Way to go Nick!

Tom

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nick got such a hoot out of being Garden-Web-Famous that he wanted to give you an update. Everything is big, healthy, and productive. For the size of the plant, the bush champion has delivered some awesome cukes! Today Nick picked five big cucumbers from the four plants and pulled up a little dill and a few chives for a salad. Thanks for making Nick feel so special!

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

Way to go Nick! A cucumber man is born :)

~dianne

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

I'm so glad Nick held out those green thumbs where we could get a good look at them! He is such a good gardener and that big container and great smile say it all. We are all so proud of him - and a little jealous, too!

Carol

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

That is so awesome for him.

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everybody for liking my garden! - Nick

• saldut
    13 years ago

Nick is even greater in person-- we met him at Lori's Plant Swap Sat. and were bowled over by his good manners and pleasant disposition, he showed a maturity far beyond his years... and his Mom was a delight as well.... way to go Nick, you're a winner ! sally

• tinael01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Sally! We liked you too. :)

The dwarf papayas....should I repot them for a while?

• saldut
    13 years ago

Hi Tina - the papayas can go right into the ground when they get a bit bigger, but don't disturb the roots or try to separate them, they don't like being transplanted... just cut along the sides of the cup and put the whole thing into a rich bed, and later after they grow a bit you rogue them out, cull out the poorest and keep just the best, maybe 2 or 3 of them will be robust and just leave them in the bunch, they will all grow together.... have a good rich bed with lots of compost, and sunny, and don't overwater because that will cause root-rot..... good luck, sally

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Nick, you are the man!!!

Good job mom ;-)

Tom

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting