Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trini4

Another strange one

trini1trini
10 years ago

This cactus is not in bloom but I like the weird way it grows...reminds me of Medusa

Comments (16)

• loufloralcityz9
    10 years ago

GOOD GRIEF !!

• stuartwanda
    10 years ago

That is a weird cactus.. Good call on the name!

• KaraLynn
    10 years ago

Medusa was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture then I read your comment. lol

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Must be really spectacular when it does flower?? Many cactus have reallly fantastic flowers
    Do you happen to know the latin name?? gary

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Although it didn't come with a tag, I believe it's Cleistocactus winteri, or Golden Rat Tail cactus. The flowers are orange. I try to admire it from afar because of the spines:)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    I asked because a neighbor has a very similar type Obviously a different kind than yours but sure looks a lot like it . Has a similar growth habit but the spines are VERY soft and flexible. Flowers are a deep magenta color .
    I usually avoid anything with spines but this one is almost like fur lol. They don't know the name naturally but have always wanted to locate one Any idea what family it might be in?? Thanks gary

• stuartwanda
    10 years ago

Gary, it is probably in the cactus family. Sorry just had to say that!

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

His may be C. colademonis but that one tends to grow downwards. Also, I think they changed the genus name to Hildewintera, but I'm no expert on cacti. I just get info from the Cactus and Succulent forum. :)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Trini
    I'll bet you're a hundred times the expert than I am . Cactus have never really interested me due to the spines many look like torture devices lol
    i've generally stuck to epiphytic types But a soft fuzzy one caught my eye lol
    Stuart Thanks for the tip !! lol gary

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Trini
    I think I've found it !! lol Seems to be Collademonis but apparently they've recenrly changed the genus names . So called Monkey tail cactus as opposed to rat tail Any tips on how to take a cutting?? Would bet very sensitive to water?? ThANKS GARY

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary, you can take a few cuttings and let them dry a few days to get a callous. Then plant them in a cactus mix that's slightly moist. I keep it in a pot because if we have a really wet summer, I can put it on the patio. The soil should dry out between waterings.
    PS wear good gloves. Lol
    I've tried the Rat Tail Cactus but lost it bec. I kept it too moist. I'm still learning about these oddball plants.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Don't think I'll need gloves with this type as it's very soft much like cat fur can't resist petting it lol. A really oddball cactus lol Since it belongs to my neighbors limited to one cutting unless I collect at night ?? Appears to be coledemonis even the flowers matched the pics I've found .
    thanks for the name i've rooted a bunch of epiphylums with that method . think I might wait until stable weather
    Hope it works have never seen these for sale anywhere!! Thanks again gary

• trini1trini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary, the one you neighbor has is harder to come by. So you're fortunate. Spring is the best time to take a cutting and it grows better in a basket.

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

I once read something about cacti in general that I found both amusing and truthful-that these plants don't seem to quite know what they want to be yet, as if they're in an intermediate stage in their evolution. Given that and other crazy monstrosa forms that abound, and their ability to take root and grow with almost no prompting, I think there's truth in that statement.

+oM

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    According to what I've read they first appeared in the late cretaceous along with palms and deciduous trees. i think they're highly adapted they can flourish where other types can't and besides produced protection from browsers. Another adaptation was the ability to go dormant for years
    seems like a plan to me ?? lol gary

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

Right! Like the story I've heard about a chunk of some cactus rolling around for weeks or months in the trunk of somebody's car, being found, planted, and thriving forever afterward!

+oM

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida