Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justine66_gw

Growing Sweet Potatoes

Justine66
12 years ago

I live in S. Florida and want to grow sweet potatoes. I don't know what kind to order that will grow down here. All I can find on local type sweet potatoes is info about Boniato sweet potatoes, but I'm looking for the sweeter ones. I found a company to order from (Steele plant company). Does anyone have experience ordering from them? Can anyone recommend what type to order? Does anyone know how many potatoes I might get from one slip?

I'd like any information that anyone has to offer.

Thank you.

Justine

Comments (16)

• shuffles_gw
    12 years ago

Justine, if you go to a local farmer's market you might find locally grown sweet potatoes. The local farmers know what grows best in your area. Just take a nice potato and put it in a jar of water so that it is half covered. You will get several plants from each potato. Usually they grow quickly. If you use potatoes from the supermarket it will take months to sprout because they have been treated to prevent sprouting.

• saldut
    12 years ago

I started growing sweets this last summer, I just cut the eyes out of sweets from Publix and planted them and now they are all over part of my back-yard, and I have been digging them all winter now.. they take a good 3-4 months to get some size... they don't seem to like a rich soil, so don't dig in any compost... I then ordered-in some 'bush' sweets from a grower in Tenn., in Oct. and will see how they do, maybe not take up so much room.... but the sweets from Publix grew just fine... I also planted some eyes from 'organic' sweets, just to be sure they did grow.... with sweets at $1.00 per lb. it's a good way to go-grow- sally

• hilnaric
    12 years ago

>If you use potatoes from the supermarket it will take months to sprout because they have been treated to prevent sprouting.

My kitchen cupboards must have special powers, because they usually start sprouting after a week or so in there. :)

• Justine66
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I am going to try to do as you suggested this first year instead of ordering any. I'll pick a few up at the farmer's market this Saturday if possible. It's nice to know they are so easy to grow.
    Warmly,
    Justine

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

They are very easy to grow here in Florida and many of us grow them as a food staple. Just plant the slips, eyes, or what have you and dig them up a few months later as you need them. The longer they stay in the ground the bigger they get. They require no special care or ground preparation. If you miss a few tubers when you dig them up, those will either get bigger or sprout and make more. I've even chopped the ends off the tubers before cooking and planted those ends and they have grown more sweets.

Another easy to grow food staple is the Seminole pumpkin (which is really a squash). Plant in spring when danger of frost is passed and they will make squashes all summer long. The vines travel everywhere for very long distances. The squashes are good keepers (up to a year). Taste is similar to an acorn squash. Mine head off into the woods and go long distances.

Lou

• Justine66
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Lou!
    I actually did end up ordering some slips today from Steele Plant Co in Tenn. I may still try to start a few of my own. The Seminole pumkin sound good and I think I'll try some of that, too! Thank you for the suggestion.
    Justine

• saldut
    12 years ago

Hi Lou- Where do you get the seeds for the Seminole pumpkin ? what is the 'name' for it? I have never seen it listed as such... thanx, sally

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

I got the seeds on eBay from a guy in Orange Springs, Florida

He has them for sale on eBay. $3.50 for 20 seeds, $4.00 postage. Type this number in the eBay search 270501789302

• klflorida
    12 years ago

I'm so glad this question was asked and for the answers given. I too want to grow sweet potatoes and am glad appears possible. Months ago while at the flea market there were three different types of sweet potatoes. I had no idea! I wish I knew then what I know now.

• saldut
    12 years ago

I asked on GW abt. growing them, and Sylvia came to my rescue, she was the one who encouraged me so I just picked some up at Publix, both regular and organic... and they all seem to have sprouted just fine and now I have several areas covered w/vines, and been digging them for months... I have a worm or something burrows into them and leaves a hole, but I just cut out that part and cook the rest, they are delish... I ordered some 'bush' slips from a place in Tenn. and they are growing, maybe they won't take up so much room...we'll see.... sally

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

I get the Semmonle punkin or calabaza at the local veggie market and grow them from the seeds. I have gotton lots of squash but they really need a lot of room, it is a big vine.

• jctsai8b
    12 years ago

I love to eat the sweet potato leaf too

• organicmomma89
    12 years ago

I also know baker creek has Seminole pumpkin seeds.. also if your near shells they sell sweet potato slips, i already preordered mine.. im using them in part to turn my landscape into a food forest!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seminole Pumpkin

• David57
    11 years ago

I just planted 14 slips 8 days ago that I ordered online. They have taken okay. This is my first time and I live in Zone 9 Vero beach fl. I hope I didn't start late. What's important when first starting these slips to root?

• rednofl
    11 years ago

Hi David
    You have plenty of time in your zone I give mine a one time fertilization less nitrogen the better once they start growing. Don't over water and enjoy a carefree no maintenance plant. The only problem is if you did not select a semi bush type they will take over your garden LOL.

• BradNMtld
    11 years ago

Just got a dozen Vardeman bush Sweet Potatoes in the ground. Got them from Tatorman and had 100% survival. This is my first go at Sweet Potatos so we will see how it goes.