Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something awesome happened today...

Posted by Beopposed 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 0:06

When I got my Mary Alice Cox camellia in the fall, I tormented myself with whether or not I should repot it. The pot was almost all roots and no soil, and yet I was fairly sure that repotting it would affect the budding process.

I asked for advice on the camellia forum, and they told me to throw some mulch on it and call it a day, so that's what I did.

As winter went by and I saw the buds start to form, I waited impatiently for them to open... Only to see them fall off, one by one, without opening.

Only one bud lasted, and it opened at a rate of what seemed like a millimeter a week, if that.

I looked up causes of bud drop to see that inconsistent watering is the biggest culprit -- almost certainly due to the tiny amount of soil in the pot.

On Monday, I decided to just cut my losses and repot the camellia, regardless of the unopened bud. I pulled it out (great root system, by the way, didn't require any root pruning) and repotted it in gritty mix in a smart pot.

To my surprise, today I found the bud almost completely open! I was ecstatic! I still am! Even if it doesn't end up fully opening, I am happy with almost open!

This is proof that miracles happen! Also, when in doubt, just repot! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something awesome happened today...

Oops, the picture didn't post.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 5:55

That is lovely. I just got a pink perfection at the last plant sale and planted in the ground. It is full of buds and they opening nicely so far. I have a feeling this might be my new opcession. :o)

o

Oh, how pretty!

o

Pink perfection is GORGEOUS. I saw one at Kerby's nursery that was just loaded with perfect blooms... I was so tempted.

I think it's an obsession for me, too... too bad they only bloom once a year :(. But when they do, it's so worth it!

Taylor's Perfection has a bunch of buds on it. I'm gonna repot it and see what happens!

o

Lovely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here