Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cenflagirl

This Orchid was abandoned...

cenflagirl
11 years ago

Can not believe it, but when a friend of a friend bought a house, this was left behind, and my friend didn't want it. So now I am the proud new owner of an Epidendrum of some sort!
I posted this picture over in the Name that Plant post, and received several posts on it.
Does any one know how to or have a link , on how to repot this monster? there are little ones all over it with roots everywhere.

Comments (9)

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    looks like Epidendrum radicans from the color . Extremely easy to grow in almost any situation . Probably best is in a pot of any size with a well draining media even no media at all works. . Be sure to give it as much sun as possible for best flowering. gary

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

The ones coming off the stem with roots you can cut off to make new plants, just put them in the ground. I grow mine in the planting beds here and have many colors. Some I do grow in pots too. It is a ground orchid and one of my favorite plants. Not hard to repot just get a bigger pot and plop it in. Not all root must have soil on them. :o)

• cenflagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

In the ground? WoW! That's good to know! Thanks Gary and Katkin!!

• teeandcee
    11 years ago

Wow, that's awesome! What a beautiful plant.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I wouldn't put it in the ground unless you are willing to cover it well during a frost. I had them in my greenhouse in Fellsmere, Fl. Not real far from you...

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I am maybe warmer then you, I've had them in the ground for over 10 years and had no problem with them. Even the ones in pots are in the planting beds on small sheppard's hooks and I never take them in or cover them. I've had some die back at times but they always come back from the roots. But like I said I may stay warmer, since I am further south.

• cenflagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Katkin? How deep are you planting them? Is this good soil, bark, rocks, or regular Fla sand? Any mulch? What kind of fertilizer, liquid or dry? Do you have a photo to upload?

• cenflagirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Katkin? How deep are you planting them? Is this good soil, bark, rocks, or regular Fla sand? Any mulch? What kind of fertilizer, liquid or dry? Do you have a photo to upload?

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Called Rainbow Orchid or Crucifix Orchid or Reed Orchid, terrestrial and pretty hardy, mine like part shade, I dug holes mixed mulch and sand with some pea gravel at bottom of hole, seem happy with that combo. They don't like strong afternoon sun or getting too wet. Some other terrestrials that are hardy in my yard include Bletilla and Phaius tankerville, aka Nun's orchids. If you have a protected area under an oak tree, the Nun's Orchids will winter, but the leaves will get damaged close to thirty. Mine are planted with a banana tree, ginger, and tiger grass which protects them.