Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shavedmonkey

Spiral white fly.

I live in eastern Martin County. Next county north of Palm beach. Me and my neighborhood are seriously infested with spiral white fly. Nasty creatures. Any ideas of control?

Thanks

Comments (7)

• subtrop
    11 years ago

I used pyrethrin and soap spray with good success against a heavy infestation of white flies. Sprayed twice weekly for 2 weeks, that was it.

• ladywingr
    11 years ago

The info I got from our local expert is soil drench combined with sprays. I'm in decision mode, but am leaning toward letting the bugs have their way until the lacewings and other predators get them under control. If a plant is particularly tasty to them, I'll find a replacement plant. I have about 12 varieties of plant that the white flies like. I really don't want to dump all those chemicals on the plants and into the environment when there are so many other plant choices. For more info, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitefly info

• annafl
    11 years ago

What about organocide? It's organic and deals well with most bugs.

I'm like ladywingr. I usually don't do anything and let the beneficials move in. If it doesn't happen, or it isn't enough, that plant will go. I don't have time for babying or regular spraying other than organic stuff in my veggie garden. I've seen a little spiral whitefly in my yard and haven't done a thing. So far, so good. We'll see!

Anna

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It started in south florida. The bug got in through the port. Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties are overwhelmed. Now it is Martin Counties turn. Most everyone would prefer not to use chemicals. But we now have a bug that has overwhelmed the natural predators. If you have a small amount of the bug and do nothing they will increase. It won't take long for it to become an infestation. It is like the super bowl champs playing a high school team. Just because there is a team to play against the bad guys does not mean the good guys win. I believe if this bug was natural to us there would be checks and balances. But over the millennium it has not been an issue. We should not expect this tiny population to keep up with this very aggressive bug.

If anybody has had a successful campaign against the white fly I would like to know. Please provide your weapons of choice. Organic/predators or chemicals.

• subtrop
    11 years ago

I also do spray only when necessary and as organic as possible, if soap is considered organic, that's my main choice. Soap and oil mixed. The pyrethrin, which is also organic comes into the mix, when there are just too many. I have so many bugs eating away my plants and veggies, I usually plant twice as much so I can at least harvest enough after the bugs are done. Anyway, the whitefly really is out of control, specially in summer. I had all my tomato plants infected with the yellow leaf curl virus at the time when the white fly took over my ficus hedges around 2 sides of my yard. After pulling the tomatoes all out, which was hard enough, I said : that's it! So I took the time to spray with soap and oil for 1 week and then added the pyrethrin after. That helped a lot. Right now, winter isn't really the season for the white flies, so I only see one once a day or so. But I will be on the lookout for them once the humidity goes up. At the time of infestation, I contacted the country extension office with pics to confirm the white fly and the yellow leaf curl virus, and was told to use a systemic on the ficus and as an insecticide use the soap oil spray mix. Which was a great advice on the latter. Once the season starts again, I just have to regularly spray with soap and oil, otherwise they will take over my garden once again.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I had them when I live in Indian River county. Nothing came to my rescue. I had to deal with them otherwise.

• starryrider
    11 years ago

Bayer Tree and Shrub systemic is very effective against them.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!