Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wallisadi

Jatropha?

wallisadi
14 years ago

dormant now, but survives very well here. nice tree form at about 15 foot.

Comments (18)

• flyingfish2
    14 years ago

Is it an edible fruit? I know they are talking about it has more oil than any other plant for making fuel.

Also thought it did not handle freezing weather.

• flyingfish2
    14 years ago

Characteristic of many members of the family Euphorbiaceae, Jatropha plants contain several toxic compounds, including lectin, saponin, carcinogenic phorbol, and a trypsin inhibitor. Despite this, the seeds are occasionally eaten after roasting, which reduces some of the toxicity. Its sap is a skin irritant, and ingesting as few as three untreated seeds can be fatal to humans. In 2005 Western Australia banned Jatropha gossypifolia as invasive and highly toxic to people and animals.

=======================
    When I googled it up, this jumped up. I have small one growing from seed and am thinking about dumping it based on this. No idea which one it is!?

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

It looks like the one I have which I call Coral Tree. Mine does get hit pretty hard in the winter but at the same time, I have baby ones coming up in the ground now. Very prolific in reproducing. It puts out a beautiful almost artifical looking flower that is a beautiful and a great nectar flower for butterflies of all kinds.

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

wallisadi, does this look like your tree? Some other pics of this species have more deeply indented leaves. I suppose there are different cultivars. Beautiful tree, where did you get yours?

Here is a link that might be useful: jatropha multifidia

• wallisadi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

a lady in deland had one, got a small start from her. now i have a bunch. really neat the way it grows. as interesting dormant as it is in summer. want one?

• annafl
    14 years ago

I have a jatropha multifida also. I like the shape of the plant, it can be altered to just about anything you want, and looks awful now, but very nice during the warm months. As Mary said, the butterflies like it. The seed pods do sprout very easily, but fortunately, just around the mother plant, and they are easily pulled. I have seen these looking very nice in large pots. They are good for this since they don't mind being dry and look good even in full sun.

Wallisadi, I like how you photographed it from the underside showing the beautiful leaf shape and the pods. All the glimpses I've seen of your garden leaves me wanting to see more. Please keep showing us.

Anna

• laura1
    14 years ago

I have several varieties of jatropha...the mulltifida growing in the ground looks DEAD but I'm hoping there is some life underground! My buddah's belly is small and was in the green house and is Ok.

• wallisadi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jatropha bloom 2010...bees are covering it!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Did you know that there are PINK varieties of jatropha?!!!!! Who has one? Tell me about it! Where did you get it? Would you be willing to trade a cutting? Searching around the internet for pictures, I learned that there is a pale pink variety called 'Baby Doll' and a medium pink variety, but I don't have the name. I would really love to have that medium pink. WOW!!

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

Just noticed: Jatropha multifida vs. Jatropha integerrima.

• ginibee
    13 years ago

Wallisadi, that is a very unusual pretty color. I thought the multifida only bloomed the coral blooms. Do the seedlings bloom that color too?

Ginny

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

Your bloom does not look like mine. I will see if I can pull up a picture of my multifidia. All of mine died in the freeze but I have tons of babies coming up now. Will be late this season before blooms though.

• wallisadi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

have a bunch potted up......and a bunch more in the yard. i like this plant. even the seedlings survived this winter, more than willing to share. think deland will be full of them in the next couple of years, gave a ton away!

• ginibee
    13 years ago

I just looked at my small J. multifida and the leaves look a lot different too, so we don't have the same plant. I do love the blooms on yours. I also have the J. Integerrima and gossypifolia. If you would like seeds from any of these, I would love a few seeds of your plant.

Ginny-

• wallisadi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

no seeds here, just dig up the the newbies....have a bunch of them if you want one. not sure how you contact each other on this web site. very nice small tree! have a couple two to three foot tall. will trade...bring something neat!

• ginibee
    13 years ago

Thanks, but too far to drive.

• wallisadi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

went to leu gardens today, and found my tree! not a jatropha, but called manihot grahamii. euphorbia, but does not mention anything about jatropha. anyway, what a beutiful day at Leu! few small showers to cool ya, very few people, and some seeds to start tomorrow, and the nice guy driving the the little cart around pulled me up a sprouting "chinese box orange." need to research that one.

• four (9B near 9A)
    10 years ago

> Posted by annafl
    > shape of the plant, it can be altered to just about anything

Alteration of them is exactly what I have in mind,
    with the objective of getting more flowers.

One plant became large enough to bloom last year.
    Single thick tall trunk, no branches, many leaves,
    flowers only at top, so few for so large a plant.

I am thinking that perhaps the little plants somehow can be
    made to grow multiple trunks, or to grow branches,
    thus having more flowering locations.
    Heights are 16", 14", 9", 7".

Guidance, please.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling