Houzz Logo Print
leekle2mane

Attn: Mid-Floridians

There is a Plant Fair in Marion county in about two weeks time:

{{gwi:793173}}

Comments (13)

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

I plan on being there as early as possible on saturday. Really looking forward to going as they usually have a really good mix of plant vendors.

Kara

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I noticed the Pawpaw vendor I recently did business with is going to be there. If you visit her booth, watch out for low branches... I still have tender areas on my head from a tree in her back yard.

I will likely be there at some point, I don't know which day or for how long, but I want to check it out. Then there will be the Lake County MG sale as well on the 23rd. But that one isn't supposed to be near as big. Lake County's big one comes up in April I think they said.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. The event is in highlight yellow on my calendar. Plan to be there early Saturday.

Don't know why I'm excited about it - I have to remove more sod to plant anything else!! I guess it's just the imminent arrival of spring and the need to prune and plant.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I may attend on Sunday. The only 'class' on Saturday that peaks my interest is the Container one at the end of the day. On Sunday there are the Water Conservation/Harvesting and the Butterfly/Bird Gardening classes that kind of have my interest. I think I have a good grasp on both subjects, but there's always the chance of learning something new. I might miss out on some of the limited supply plants, but I might make up for that by getting lower rates from some vendors. We'll see.

• morningloree
    11 years ago

I plan to go as well. I am hoping Saturday. I really appreciate the posting of info. Leu Gardens has their sale weekend after. I live in Seminole County, kind of taintsville as far as garden shows. Lots going on around me though.

• nova_gw
    11 years ago

I will be attending the Spring Festival as a vendor both days and would like to invite all "Gardenwebbers" to stop by and introduce themselves as I would love to be able to put faces to the names here! I will be at booth 87 - "Susan's Crooked Little Pots and Leafcasting Pavers". I hope this isn't considered "advertising", rather a place for us to meet our friends.

nova aka Susan

Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll be sure to stop by and say "Hey!". I'll be the tall, skinny, bald guy who will likely have Jimmy Buffett (or other island/beach music) playing from his hip. It's also very possible I will have two cute as a button kids with me who will want to touch EVERYTHING.

As far as advertising, I don't think so. You didn't say, "I will have blah blah blah, for $$ and will even cut a small discount for..." You merely mentioned where you will be. So it doesn't sound like advertising to my eyes.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Oh Susan, I love to go just to see you again. But I don't think I can, we've been involved in a big project we have to finish.

• nova_gw
    11 years ago

Leekle - I will look forward to meeting you and the kids!

Katkin - Can you beleve it has been SEVEN years since I moved up here???????? I still have some of the plants you gave me and think of you whenever I admire them in my garden!

Susan

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it was a good show. Met a few people I've interacted with via email and saw a couple of people I had met at the Wings and Wildflowers festival. Also bumped into Nova at their stall. Now my kids have two hypertufa heads to put in their butterfly garden. Well, my daughter says she's going to, my son likes talking to his. Thank you, again, Nova.

Walked away from the show with a small Coral Honeysuckle, a Southern Highbush 'Jewel' blueberry and a Firebush. Probably would have walked away with a little more if I had 1) brought my wagon with me and 2) been better prepared for the food vendors. Ouch they were expensive!

• morningloree
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Enjoyed myself as well, had to stop in and say "Hello" and get some beautiful leaf pavers from Nova. I brought a wagon and filled it up with: Party Time Pink Calico plant, Elkhorn fern, Chinese Hat Vine, Phaius Terrestial Orchid, Tapestry Vine, Calibrachoas, Red Velvet Elvis Iris, and Blackberry Iris. Thank goodness for kettle corn and lemonade!

• KaraLynn
    11 years ago

My mom and I went on saturday and even though I looked I couldn't find Nova. I bought a varigated crinum, rue, a couple party time pink plants, some small succulents, and 3 small african blue basils. I didn't see anything too terribly new or unique which disappointed me but hopefully that will be different when I go to the Lue gardens sale this coming weekend. I was very happy to get the african blue basil though! I lost mine several years ago during that really cold winter we had and hadn't been able to find it again until now. It's a perenial basil that gets huge, smells wonderful, and is the best bee and small butterfly attractor I've ever seen. In fact the vendor told me that bee keepers are some of his biggest buyers for it.

Mom came home with a range of tomatoe plants, some eggplant and a variety of herbs. We both eyed some of the fruit trees but we really aren't set up for them yet altough we think we've come up with a plan to start a small orchard located between our houses.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I actually sort of accidentally bumped into Nova. I looked at the provided map and thought I had it figured out where her stall would be, but I think I got to it a row or two earlier than the map said I should. According to the map his/her/their stall should have been just before the alignment changed from W/E to N/S, but I think she/he/they was actually around 95 instead of 87. Her/Their/His stall was right next to the guy selling Plumeria stems. And looking at the location of his stall... maybe I'm just really wrong.

I didn't have Jimmy Buffett playing as I said, but rather a celtic-inspired song that daughter liked was playing and she stole my phone to listen to it! And since I wasn't 'sure' it was her stall, I browsed a short bit and when she said, "I'm running a discount on..." and I responded, "Ah hah, so you were advertising in that post!" and confirmation was made. We talked a bit, she admitted that she likes to talk to rocks, she bestowed my children with little hypertufa heads and passed on the talking to rocks gig to my son. Then it came to my attention that my son had set down his kiddie bag from the Children area so we had to cut the meet and greet short and go looking for his bag (he had cucumber seeds in it that I didn't want to lose!).

Either way, they/he/she had lots of very interesting hypertufa and concrete planters and path stones. I actually thought their/his/hers were a little more creative than the "Almost Ancient Pots" guy. Unfortunately, I was there with "Need more plants!" running through my mind. Perhaps next time I bump into Nova I'll get one of those huge Taro print path stones. Until then... time to figure out just where I want to put the plants I purchased.