Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkin_gw

How Low Did You Go?

katkin_gw
11 years ago

Comcast my ISP says it's 45 here. That's not bad at all.

Hope everyone was lucky last night. :o)

Comments (20)

• fl west coast zone 10a
    11 years ago

right now just before sunrise we're at 41. Should
    get warmer any minute. I'm more concerned about
    tonight, they say it might get a bit colder. Just to
    be safe I'm again covering the smaller plants and
    a few larger ones.

• Lowellzone9
    11 years ago

28 in my Lake Helen Garden this morning.

• 3.2Whites
    11 years ago

At 4:30 am we were at 45. At 6 am, 43. At 7 am, 41. At 8 am, 44. The wind-chill would lower these temps. Back home in Alaska....these temps used to make me happy. lol.

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

30 here......the forecast for tonight is 25 ugh. I got up at 4am to check the temps and the wind to see if I needed to turn the overhead sprinklers on the blueberries.

• stuartwanda
    11 years ago

When I got up it was 42 at 5 now at almost 9 it's 42 but the lowest it got was 40. The wind kept the frost away but it's cold! I use WeatherBug in Jensen. Too Dang cold for me!
    Bamboo, I thought Blueberries were cold tolerant? Must be the highbreads that don't like the freeze and frost? I had some wild ones up in N. Ga. and it gets alot colder up there.

• stuartwanda
    11 years ago

When I got up it was 42 at 5 now at almost 9 it's 42 but the lowest it got was 40. The wind kept the frost away but it's cold! I use WeatherBug in Jensen. Too Dang cold for me!
    Bamboo, I thought Blueberries were cold tolerant? Must be the highbreads that don't like the freeze and frost? I had some wild ones up in N. Ga. and it gets alot colder up there.

• abnorm
    11 years ago

I'm sick this morning in DowntownOrlando

Even tho I protected my 150 + seedlings in plastic and lights

.......everything looks melted this AM....

I hope they'll rehydrate ?

Last nite's photo............doug

Editted: Later in the day with water and sunshine the seedlings improved.......

This post was edited by abnorm on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 14:47

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

Low was 31.9 F for 10 minutes. :)

Carol in Jacksonville

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I think it was around 40 in Sarasota. I planted 3 Plumies last week and was worried about them. I threw plastic bags over them last night, but took them off first thing this morning. Brought some of my orchids in the house. Everything looks okay. Tonight is supposed to be colder.

Jane

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Stuartwanda,

The Blueberries are very cold tolerant when dormant but as the bloom happens that cold tolerance falls. 2 minutes at 27 degrees does massive damage. At 28 they are fine. The problem is frost and I was worried if the wind stopped the frost could settle. Tonight I will turn the overhead sprinklers on at 1am and hope for the best.

• zzackey
    11 years ago

22 here. Really windy yesterday. I can't get warmed up! REady for summer! Bring it on, God! Soon please!! My blueberries get frost and it never bothered them~~

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

32 in altoona. If it's going to go below 30 tonight then a lot will be lost.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Made it fine this morning which I had counted on...BUT tonight is a different story...Freeze warning tonight...hoping I can get lucky one more time...

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!

• muscledbear
    11 years ago

Lowest I saw was 41 in St Pete, I'm about 3-4 blocks from Tampa Bay.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    11 years ago

Sat night was cold, got down to 40 here but no damage to my two tender young mango trees. The four big ones are tough, plus were strung with C-9 Xmass tree lights. But last night it got down to 36 deg at 7 AM this morning with a small wind chill. I found a spare set of bulbs for the tiny Tebow mango I just planted out back, borrowed an extension cord, so he was OK. The newer Maha Chinook in a huge clay pot, had to get my neighbor to help load it onto my wheelbarrow ( heavvvvy ), and lug it into my shed. No heat but no wind either.
    All survived by the whiskers on their chinny-chin-chins.
    Took down all the lights and can finally breath a sigh of relief,..for another 10 months anyway ! ( smile )
    However, as the Pine Island Nursery reminds me, sometimes mango damage does not show up for a day or two. So will breath the ultimate sigh of relief on Wednesday morning. ( smile )

This post was edited by jofus on Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 17:49

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Great to hear Jofus...I sure hope this is the end of it... I still have about 2 weeks or so of "possible" cold. I'll breathe a lot easier by the first week or so of March **sigh**

I was colder than you this morning. Hit 32 degrees for about an hour and a half...but off and on it didn't stay that way the whole time...Whew!! Dodge another bullet.

I brought in my Maha too the last 2 nights...didn't want to take a chance.

• saldut
    11 years ago

My front porch thermometer reading this morn. at 7 AM was 41, I'm across the street from the bayou so imagine it was colder inland..quite often it will be 5-8 degrees colder in Pinellas Park or central Pinellas with frost......I brought most of the orchids in yesterday also the Desert Roses, and this morning I ran the sprinklers for the rest of the garden.... I think I read somewhere that the last frost-date for Fla. Central area is Feb. 28....so don't count on no more cold, we have even had some into March...however, sure is a lot better than Canada! sally

• stpete_mango
    11 years ago

45 degrees Monday morning around my house close to the south end of St. Petersburg. So far, so good. Saldut is right ... 4 - 5 miles up the road and more toward the central part of the county, it was several degrees colder.

• stpete_mango
    11 years ago

Sorry, the zone is 10a, not 10b.

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

I'm surrounded by water here on the barrier island south of Daytona. Saturday's low was 39. Sunday's low was 37, and Monday's low was 54. Glad to see it! Even the coleus were untouched! I do still consider my location 9a even though I'm in a warm mini-local. I go up Atlantic Ave. 2 mi. and they are 3-5 degrees colder.