Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chia as a crop

Posted by jgrass none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 7:38

Has anyone tried growing chia as a garden crop in Florida? Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chia as a crop

I didn't exactly grow this as a crop "on purpose." I bought Chia seeds at a local health food store, soaked them and spread them onto a ChiaPet for fun. They grew quickly and then started to decline. So I peeled the "coat" off the ChiaPet and laid it on the ground in my garden. It grew so fast! It got dappled sun from early morning until around noon or so. Nothing here seemed to bother it (pests, disease, etc...)

Very easy to grow, as long as you soak the seeds first. A friend of mine tried to get his ChiaPet to grow faster, so he skipped the soaking and just wet the seeds and spread them onto his "pet." The difference was shocking! Definitely soak!

o

shear, when did you plant? did they flower and make seeds? how big did they get? how long to maturity? The way you describe it, they started out very thick. Did most survive to maturity of did they "self-thin".
Does anyone else have any information? From what I found, the end of the hurricane season would be the time to plant. One site I found recommended 1/4 cup of seed per square foot. That sounds like a lot to me. They supposedly get up to two feet tall.

o

I spread them on the chia pet probably in April I'd guess. About 2-3 weeks later, I laid the "pelt" on the ground and watered it for maybe 3 days (because I didn't expect it to work!)
They did eventually die of "self thinning." Before that, they grew to about 18 inches tall, very lush and beautiful. No flowers (that I saw/was aware of), and no "volunteers" this year... though I disturbed that area quite a bit, on purpose, this year. I personally feel they weren't getting enough sun.
I wish I had more information, but I hope this adds something for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here