Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Everglades currant tomato seeds

tomncath
13 years ago

I've dried another batch of seeds, have some going out to Kevin and Angela. Anyone else that wants to try some drop me a line. I'd start seed around March 1st, set them mid-April and you'll have marble-sized garden cherries to put in your salads all summer long.

Tom

Comments (150)

• gardengimp
    12 years ago

Aren't they wonderful? I eat them straight off the plant, so good.

~dianne

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

I took a tomato that split and squeezed it on to the top of the soil in a small pot, then covered it with soil. I kept it damp for a while and the seedlings exploded. Easiest way to start seedlings.

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

Garf:
    Could I interest you in sharing a tomato/tomato seeds with me? Tom is out of everglades currant tomato seeds and I am dying to get some of them. You also my live in my hood as I am also 10b. I am happy to trade it for something else. Some of my prized posessions are cuban oregano with is propagated by cuttings and does amazingly well and is care free in 10b. I also have Jamaican sorrel seeds which makes beautiful bushes and buds that you can turn into a cool red drink.

• gjune
    12 years ago

Garf,
    Would you share some tomatoes with me also? I did get some from Tom but have lost them somewhere. Have looked everywhere. Just a few ripe ones in a plastic bag will do. I'll be glad to pay any expenses. Pls email me for my address at GJHOL909@aol.com. Thanks so much. June.

• catchit
    12 years ago

I am planting now. Would anyone be willing to send a tomato or two to me?

• catchit
    12 years ago

Having trouble finding seeds. Are these seeds available commercially?

• bluesky7
    12 years ago

Tom,

The seeds I got from you several months ago are in containers and are doing okay but it seems the tomatoes disappear from one day to the next. Wondering if something is eating them? I did get a few, though. When I had them in the ground years ago they really bushed out and produced. In these large pots, they are rather straggly looking. Is this typical for the variety? And why are they now called Everglades Currant Tomato seeds? Is this a new variety?

Please reply.

Thanks,

Sheri

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

All I have left alive right now is a straggler from last year. It is small but blooming now. I should have a few tomatoes shortly. I do have a few purchased seeds left from last year.

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

After 9 days, I have the first signs of life from the tomato that I squeezed into a pot. They do take a little longer to sprout using that method, but the seedlings seem to be healthier.

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

Looking good garf. Hopefully you did not get hit by the rain/storm.

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

We got a good soaking, but no real damage. Hurricane season is almost over. Miami can take a lot of rain because of our flood control canal system.

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

Looks like I'm only going to get 3 seedlings from this last batch. I'll have to start some more.

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

The first batch seems to be getting stronger. I also found a second batch that I started near the same time.

• garf_gw
    12 years ago

One of my Everglades plants is not doing well. It is in a pot and seems to be suffering from a deficiency of some sort.

• tumblingtomatoes
    12 years ago

Hi-question for Tom or anyone else who has the answer for it......are these Everglades tomatoes the same as Spoon (George Curtis Spoon tomatoes) tomatoes that are super tiny? Would love to try them if they are not the same. :)Could be neat in kids's school garden!
    Anyone have any info on their history-it'd be a neat learning project for students?
    Thanks all & have a great weekend!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 years ago

FWIW, the damage on those leaves above looks a lot like the damage done by tiny sucking insects such as leaf hoppers &/or spider mites....

• tiptoeinthesand
    12 years ago

in need of wild everglade tomato seeds - would appreciate very much - this is my 1st year of having a garden and looking for easy to care plants to gain experience - thank you - these sound yummy!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, I'm surprised this thread is still going. I have a new batch of red seeds but the supply is very limited. I have a huge batch of yellow seeds and the yellow variety has an identical habit and taste to the red. Anyone who would like some seeds just needs to drop me a line, and thank Carol B. (pabrocb), who graciously provided the next round of stamps for free mailings.

Tom

• kayjones
    12 years ago

Good morning, Tom! Thank you for sharing the red seeds with me last year - I'd love some seeds for the yellow. The red did wonderfully (is that a word?!)- I will email you. Carol B., thank you for providing postage!

• murphyjp
    12 years ago

hi tom i would love some seeds either red or yellow . will email you info. thank you john

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

I emailed you, Tom!

• priscilla2007
    12 years ago

I would love to try growing these- prefer the red.
    will send you a message.

Thanks

• lizzardly
    12 years ago

I emailed you too! Hope you still have some yellow seeds left. And THANK YOU Carol for the postage. That's soo kind of you!

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I have not responded to anyone, please forgive me, email has been rather hectic. Please drop me a line again.

I still have plenty of yellow seeds, and I just started fermenting another batch, probably 500 seeds. I've got another small batch of red seeds drying now too, around 150 or so.

Tom

• rene09
    12 years ago

I would like some of both if you have them. could send you a SASE if I had your address.

• Truscifi
    12 years ago

I got them today. Thanks Tom! I'll be starting some on Thursday. :)

• alexcortez
    12 years ago

I would love some. Sent you an email.

After four years of trying I had my best year with tomatoes ever but that was still less than two pounds of tomatoes from dozens of seedlings (My work schedule and baby plants don't mix too well) and 18 that grew big. My biggest problem is usually wilt but this year I had massive nematode problems. Even the Indian mustard which is usually so care free struggled and stopped growing. The only difference between this year and last was that I had more marigolds than tomatoes in my beds. And I made new beds this year to avoid problems.

I canot wait to try these.

Thanks a million. Alex

• tomncath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Alex, since your in 10b you can start a few weeks earlier than I can. A lot of it is in the timing...you need to come to some of the swaps so we can talk and figure out what you're doing. I picked somewhere between 300-400lbs of tomatoes off of 10 plants this year, if you have any interest in what I'm doing view my clippings.

I'll send you seeds for both red and yellow currants, they'll go out tomorrow.

Tom

• czfljo
    11 years ago

Tom! Just had to resurrect this from page 11! Last year you sent me some seeds and I started a few seedlings. Went to GA for 10 days to visit with my inlaws and took a seedling along for my 83 year old mother in law. Got home and had forgotten to show my appointed "waterer" where the seedlings were and of course they dried up and went south.

Planted mother in laws in an earthbox and it took off like gangbusters and she happily plucked her little tomatoes all summer long. Spoke with her 2 weeks ago(you may know where this is going) seedlings popping up EVERYWHERE! Even in the flower bed on the other side of her house. She's taken them to the hairdresser, her bible study class, her neighbors....Soooo, the Everglade currant tomatos are thriving in Atlanta, GA!

Just had to share!

Jo

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

I have mine in a pot. One is getting along ok, but the others are very, very slow. I'm sure I'm not doing something right. The pot is huge and might be blocking the sun for part of the day...maybe that?

I waited to plan the yellow currant seeds until I can figure out how these grow best.

I can't wait for them to grow and produce!

• saldut
    11 years ago

Hi Tom... We ate Tom's Tomatoes all year, and finally now the heat and old age have taken their toll, but they are being resurrected all over the place and pop up everywhere! Thanks again! If you have any spare yellow currant seeds maybe you could let me have a few? I'd like to try some, they sound fantastic.... and I have lots of Salvia and other perennials to share if you'd like some...Thanks again, sally

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...(you may know where this is going) seedlings popping up EVERYWHERE!....

Hi Jo, this is one occasion where I like sharing with the birds ;-)

Ness, find a place to put some in the ground.

Hi Sally, I have two of the yellow currants still prepacked and probably another 500 seeds not packaged. I honestly think the yellow is hardier and better tasting, email me your address again and I'll put them in the mail.

Tom

• saldut
    11 years ago

Thanx Tom, I sent you my address...sally

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

Thanks! I put one out in the garden I just ripped up (watermelons that rotted) and will do the rest when I come back from vacation.

I will plant the yellow currant seeds straight in the ground...again, when I get back.

• shuffles_gw
    11 years ago

This is my first year for Everglades currants (seeds from Tom). The red ones are just about dead. The yellows in a 25 gallon container are producing like crazy. However, unlike the photos I have seen of the reds where the fruit and leaves are in similar proportion, the yellows in the container have dense foliage. I have one in the ground and it has not done much more than grow foliage and has produced very little fruit. FWIW

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Did I read some where that Everglades can be grown in shade, or did I dream it?
    And when is the earliest I should start some in 9B?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did I read some where that Everglades can be grown in shade, or did I dream it? And when is the earliest I should start some in 9B?

They prefer sun, won't grow in the shade for very long, may start out great but die off quickly. I'd start seeds every few months year around til you figure out when they do best for you.

Tom

• chinchette
    11 years ago

Hm. Maybe I will have to grow them in my parking lot at my office. Only place I get a lot of sun.

• FLgardenmom
    11 years ago

I totally mucked up the yellow ones you sent me, Tom. But I have 4 of the reds in the ground that are doing great. Considering how big they get, it's probably just as well....as long as these babies do OK. They are about 10" and looking good so far. Hoping they are big enough to take the heat.

Becca

• FLgardenmom
    11 years ago

Well, checked on them this afternoon, and I have green tomatoes on one of them!!! Wow, how exciting. Tomatoes in June!!!! ...ok, so my cherries and romas are still ripening, but no green ones. This is exciting for sure!

Becca

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Becca, the yellows are hardier and lots of us think they taste better, want some more?

• FLgardenmom
    11 years ago

Yes, please! Do you need my address again?

Becca

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yup, please. I've sent out so many seed packets I just stopped keeping addresses a couple of years ago....

• kumquat1
    11 years ago

I just checked in to see if the thread that never dies is still here. I have little greenies. It is so exciting! TomnCath deserves a humanitarian award for the work he is doing. He is a sweetie pie, who makes many people dance with joy in the back yard when they have success. I am grateful.

• coffeemom
    11 years ago

I got my yellow seeds this week. BIG SMOOCH to Tom!
    Can't wait to try these. Thanks.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Girls, enjoy!

I just checked in to see if the thread that never dies is still here

Oh, this post will die, GW limits posts to 150 responses :-) :-(

Tom

• nessz79_10a
    11 years ago

My red seedlings have been chivying along slowly. I have one in the ground that's about 4 inches high and a couple in a large pot that are slightly smaller. Just planted the yellows this morning. I hope it's not too late in the season to plant them!

• DPSEED
    11 years ago

i would love some seeds any..
    as WE just start a container garden
    have 12 swc, can hardly wait for the fall planting.
    yes learn a hard lesson all ready.. too hot in zone 10 in the summer

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    11 years ago

swc = self-watering containers

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz