Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

o
Everglades currant tomato seeds

Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 8:05

I've dried another batch of seeds, have some going out to Kevin and Angela. Anyone else that wants to try some drop me a line. I'd start seed around March 1st, set them mid-April and you'll have marble-sized garden cherries to put in your salads all summer long.

Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Everglades currant tomato seeds

Oh ok, you twisted my arm! I tried Matt's tomatoes once, but wasn't as lucky as your nice pictures of the Everglades tomato show. I want the special Tom strain. :) I am sending you a PM.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 8:18

Too funny Amber, I just posted that I thought they'd do very well in a Topsy Turvy, I'm going to try one that way....

Tom

o

I'd like some too if you've got enough, Tom. I just sent you a PM.

John

o

Hi Tom, just a reminder to keep me on the list for the yummy 'maters. Thanks!

o

Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 16:55

Amber and Lou, thanks for the info, think I'll consider a bucket with holes on the side.

John and Trini, CYE.

Tom

o

Tom sent me some of these seeds and I am so excited to try them! What is the best way to start them?

o

Today I saw Tom's tomato plant. That is the biggest tomato plant I have ever seen! I stuffed myself with little tomatoes. :)

o

Thanks, Tom, for the seeds you so kindly sent me! I gave half to a friend across town. We're starting them separately, so we have backup tomatoes in case something untoward happens to them at one home or the other.

o

Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 8:19

Tina convinced me to snap a few more pictures, see below.

...I gave half to a friend across town. We're starting them separately, so we have backup tomatoes in case something untoward happens to them at one home or the other.

Too finny, give them time and the plants will spread across town and meet in the middle!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Holy cow, I can hardly wait. I hope I have half the success that you do!

o

Tom, do you think that cages are necessary for this variety? Looking at your photos, I'm wondering if they would do just the same if they weren't in cages? Would love your opinion.

o

Get a box of dixie cups - $4 and you get 200 cups. Fill a few with pre-moistened jiffy mix or other seed starting mixture. Put cups in a little plastic food storage box so you can water occasionally from the bottom. Put in sun or under a flourecent light very close to the bulb - 2 ". Let dry out a bit before watering again. They should sprout within a week. Continue under the bulb (or sun) for 12 - 18 hrs a day. When the first true leaves come, transfer to party cups with potting soil in them and bury up to leaves. Don't forget to puncture holes for drainage. Putting a fan on them for an hour or so a day will make them stronger. These are pretty determined tomatoes though, to listen to Tom. These instructions are for normal tomatoes and might be overkill for the everglades. Photobucket

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 6, 11 at 16:35

I started some of these 4 years ago and they almost took over my garden. The seeds will survive the compost pile but for some reason they didn't come back last year. I have one plant that showed up after the last cold spell in my front yard. It already is blooming.

o

If there are extras, I would like some. I sent you an email

Kay

o

Tom

I've already started the ones that you sent to me. Is it too early? I've already go sprouts.

o

Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 12:53

Tom, do you think that cages are necessary for this variety?

If you have the room to let then sprawl along the ground they will do that. Do you remember my pictures of them in the cattails?

Oukay - I'm at work, I'll check for your info when I get home.

I've already started the ones that you sent to me. Is it too early? I've already go sprouts.

No, that's fine, I'm just saying you'll want to dry some seeds and start them closer to summer so you'll have these over the summer since they will set fruit through the summer, although I suspect that where you are you could probably grow almost any cherry through the summer since your night temps are at least 10 degrees cooler than mine.

Tom

o

Those are great pictures Tom! I am very excited to try the seeds! Thanks for sending them=)

Angela

o

I received my seeds today Tom. Thanks again.

o

Mon, Feb 7, 11 at 18:52

Everybody enjoy....

Do you remember my pictures of them in the cattails?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

WOW!!! Those are some high potential tomatoes! They are HUGE! I'm going to try to grow some as well. If they survive in my yard, then they'll survive anything! ;-)

o

So Tom,

Everybody enjoy .....

Does that mean that all of our neighbors are also going to enjoy?

Amazing stuff. I read a story someplace about somebody had a current tomato that dropped off the vine when ripe and people didn't like to buy the seed for it. The grower couldn't figure out why because they found it easier to harvest; just put a drop cloth underneath the plant; with the plant at a higher elevation; so the little gems of goodness could just be funneled down .... into the cattails! Who knew cattails like tomatoes so much :)

Is the plant you are growing now descended from one of those cattail currents? If so I should ask for some of your Tom's Vigorous Cattail Tomato Seed; surely no Iguana would touch that!

~dianne

o

Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 8:00

Yes and yes :-) My neighbors on both sides have been blessed with these plants, scattered by the birds, and since the first year I've never had to plant again, they come up as volunteers every year and if I don't like where they are I just move them.

Tom

o

Hey Tom! Just wanted to let you know I got the seeds! Thanks so much!!! Already got em started and cant wait!

...Go Warhawks! ;D

o

Planted the seeds you sent me Tom, and have 16 beautiful little plants. Just re-potted them into larger containers. Going to take some to the garden club for the exchange next week.

o

Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 7:39

Next come the goldens and the whites :-), too bad there are not any pinks and blacks :-(

Tom

o

Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 19:24

BTW, if anyone is curious how I prepped these seeds I put the pulp of 15 maters in 8oz of water for two days, then washed the seeds in a strainer and put the remaining pulp/seeds on a coffee filter spread thin with a butter knife and left there to dry for three days. The seeds will stick to the filter and be laborious to pick individually, instead treat the filter like a piece of sandpaper, fold it in half and put a paper plate below it and start rubbing the filter between your hands and the seeds will drop to the plate when they are dry enough. Repeat this procedure every 5 days and you'll have more seeds than you could possibly know what to do with, with minimal effort.

Tom

o

Sounds like a slick idea.

I saved my first tomato seeds a few weeks ago. I fermented them and then rinsed. After that I spread them on a paper plate and found that many stuck stubbornly. The next batch went better. I spread them on some wax paper to dry for a couple days and then they went on a paper plate to finish.

I now have some UglyRipe F2 :( fermenting. Also a batch from a plant that came up on it's own and grew like nothing I've seen before. I'm calling those seeds "Mystery"

o

Have enough of giving freebies, or do you have room for one more? You certainly have a valuable commodity there! Wish I had some cattails to let the bush meander through. Beautiful place there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barb's blurbs

o

Thu, Feb 10, 11 at 16:36

I still have about 300 seeds left from the second batch, I don't mind sending a few to anyone that wants to try them, just drop me a line.

Tom

o

Thanks for the directions on how to save seeds!

o

Tom, I got the seeds you sent me today.
Thanks!
John

o

Hi Tom,
Received my seeds as well. Thanks very much for sharing.
Trini-

o

THANKS! Received the seeds over the weekend, went ahead and potted a few, saved a few to pot later, can't wait to see how they do! As I mentioned Tom in my email I have "wild" cherry tomatoes come up in various places every year around this time, and they are delicious, but will only survive during this weather.
Thanks again!

o

Thanks so much, Tom. I received my seeds yesterday.

Carol B.

o

Tue, Feb 15, 11 at 12:56

My pleasure, we'll need to post this summer, with pictures, to see how everyone is doing.

Tom

o

Tom,

A friend gave my wife and I some seeds for the Everglades Tomato about a year ago and we are going to start them this week. Do we have to worry about cross pollination from our other tomato's when they bloom? It looks like it is not a problem if they are coming up every year and producing. If we have to protect a few blooms to get seeds we will do it, but it would be nice to just let 'em rip. Thanks for all of the info and the pictures. They look great!

Ken

o

Wed, Feb 16, 11 at 13:15

Ken, I don't worry about it. This question comes up over on the Tomato forum occasionally and tomato guru Dr. Carolyn Male says she grows them separately because the exerted stigmas pose the potential for cross-pollination....I just don't have the room to do it and have not seen a problem so far.

Tom

o

Tom, potted half my seeds tonight. Man, I had to use a tweezers to pick up each seed and drop it in its hole! And I'm not even kidding! Those seeds are teeny-tiny. When I opened your envelope, I thought it was empty. But then I tapped the contents out onto a white plate and I saw that you had sent me the microscopic motherload. Photobucket

Thanks again for your generosity of your seeds, time and postage. I really appreciate it. I am hoping for success!

o

Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 7:18

My pleasure, enjoy. I'll be starting some mid-March to carry me through the summer.

Tom

o

Hi Tom,if you have any left could I get a few?I could send postage.
Debbie in Ga

o

Thu, Feb 24, 11 at 19:22

Hi Tom,if you have any left could I get a few?I could send postage.
Debbie in Ga

Hi Deb, I still have nine packets of at least twenty seeds each from the second batch of seeds this year, drop me a line.

For those of you that wanted to see what they do when allowed to be rogue vines on the ground here's what they do, notice to the right of my plant in my neighbors pine bark mulch.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Starting to fruit....

Photobucket

And, my plant, probably at it's zenith now....

Photobucket

And, I just could not resist throwing in a few pictures of the broccoli. This is all PacMan, what a disappointment. After all the rave reviews last year that's all I grew....small side shoots, definitely my last year growing it compared to Goliath, Barbados and Waltham 29. I always leave the third crop to the bees because they need it and I love watching them in the garden!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tom

o

Got my seeds, and I am putting them in pots this afternoon. Thanks!!!!

o

I just saw this thread. Am I too late to get any seeds? I had some seeds several years ago and missplaced them before I had a chance to try them. If you have any extra, do I PM you with my address? Also, would you like postage? Thanks.

Gabriele

o

Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 16:38

Five packs of seeds left and two coffee filter halves that probably have a hundred seeds each left on them, just send me a message via the email link on my page....

Tom

o
Oops, more seeds!

Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 16:51

Forgot that I'd shucked off another 200 seeds from the coffee filters two days ago, so besides the post above I still many, many more seeds :-)

Tom

o

Loved seeing your pictures.

I'd love some seeds if you have them. I live in West Palm Beach and it would be great to have summer tomatoes.

I sent you an e-mail.

o

I have Everglade (singular)!!! I potted half of my seeds the night of Feb 22. Had the first little seedling stick out his head last night, Feb 27. So that was five days for the first to germinate. Yay! I hope the rest of you are having good luck.

Tom, this is my first time growing tomatoes of any kind. Do they need to be planted in full sun?

o

Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 6:22

Do they need to be planted in full sun?

They will do best in full sun but if you can't do that afternoon shade is okay. Where did you start them? If inside or in filtered shade you can't just take them out into full sun or they will get sunscald and die...you'd need to "harden" them off with a little more sun every few days before putting them into direct sun. I pot up and move mine from inside to outside at three weeks, on the east side of the house where they get morning sun and afternoon shade. After another three weeks they go into their final containers and into filtered shade all day on the south side under an oak canopy, then the next weekend they go into full sun because that gives me two days to watch them and make sure they are doing okay.

Some folks just start them in full sun right from the beginning but for working folks than can be risky, they can dry out and burn up or drown in a rainstorm....

Tom

o

Tom - thanks for taking the time to write that detailed explanation. I needed to hear that. I would have done it exactly wrong. Photobucket

o

Goodness, those are some pictures. So, I can use these tomatoes as groundcover right? :)

o

Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 19:15

So, I can use these tomatoes as groundcover right? :)

Sure, if you want your ground cover a foot high and plan to replace it every 4-6 months :-) :-(

o

Hi, Tom,

Thank you so much for the seeds....just got back from our NOVA family visit. The seeds you sent were in our one month worth of mail from "Post Office Hold Mail".

Sincerely,

Freya

o

I'm up to four of six seeds germinated. Yay!

o
How to be in the doghouse

Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 9:29

So, Cathy says to me that if her Cherries Jubilee allamanda that was under the everglades tomato is dead I'm dead meat too. So, I though I'd better find out if it was still alive...for those of you that wanted some of these seeds you need to know this tomato could be considered an "invasive species" :-) :-(

Photobucket

Photobucket

Amazingly, it's still alive but needs quite a bit of work....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Someone asked me about nematodes and I didn't have the answer then, but do now. This thing was loaded with nematodes and fruiting like crazy. I'll bet whoever is working on resistant varieties is crossing it with this little bugger.

Photobucket

Anyone want about 10,000 seeds?

Tom

o

Tom, I just LOVE the allamanda story - that is awesome!

Dumb question about nematodes from a newbie - can you see them in that photo above? I did look at nematodes on Google Images, but can't see them in your photo. But I believe you, if you say they are there.

By the way, I am four for six seeds germinating. Not sure he last two are gonna go. Still have 10 seeds still set aside in the envelope. :) Yay!

Carol

o

do you still have seeds to share? I would love to have a few if you do

Carol

o

Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 13:58

No Carol, you can't see them, just the root damage.

Healthy roots:

Photobucket

Nematode infested roots, see why they call them Root Knot nematodes?

Photobucket

To the other Carol, I have plenty of seeds left, just drop me a line at the email link on my page.

Tom

o

Tom, thanks for the tutorial on nematodes - a picture is worth a 1,000 words. Interesting!

Question: I've seen your photos and know these things get huge. What would be your recommended spacing when set in the ground? Is two feet adequate?

o

Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 7:17

What would be your recommended spacing when set in the ground? Is two feet adequate?

Nope, definitely not, bettter give them 5 feet of space and still plan on keeping them trimmed.

Thanks for the info on firespike, that thing was only about 8" tall and in a gallon container when I got it last year.... I'm going to have to put it in the ground and cut it back so I will have cuttings :-)

Tom

o

Hahahahahaha! So ok, you sent me sixteen seeds, I germinated four of six and have a backlog inventory of ten. But I only have room to plant TWO!!! Photobucket

o

Tom

Is that the everglades that you dug up? Can I bother you for more seeds? The ones that you sent me were planted wrong (I know now what to do) or is it too late to start them?

o

Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 19:56

I've depleted my last one-hundred roll set of stamps! Envelopes I have but stamps are now being requested :-(

Tom

o

Tom,

just wanted to say Thank You!
I've been meaning to send you a card, all written already, but haven't made it to the post office yet..hopefully this week it will out.

I started two this weekend :)

o

I sprouted the everglade seeds under the fridge and potted them up yesterday (thanks again Tom). They look a little shocked to see sunshine. Kinda like me a week ago.

That is pretty cool that that feller could be so thrifty with all that nematode infection. Wow. We used to get horse manure at the Pompano race track years ago and I remember that the piles were absolutely solid with cherry tomatoes fruiting in the summer heat. We had thought that the seeds were in the manure from the horses being fed tomatoes but that seems a little unlikely now that I think about it. Maybe they were the same wild everglade cherry.

I have some stamps and a few of the seeds left that Tom sent me so I can send some on....pay it forward.

o

Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 19:59

...We used to get horse manure at the Pompano race track years ago and I remember that the piles were absolutely solid with cherry tomatoes fruiting in the summer heat. We had thought that the seeds were in the manure from the horses being fed tomatoes but that seems a little unlikely now that I think about it. Maybe they were the same wild everglade cherry.

I have some stamps and a few of the seeds left that Tom sent me so I can send some on....pay it forward.

I'll bet it the same currant!

Thanks for the offer, I need a break ;-)

Tom

o

I better see if I can actually find them tomorrow - got about 50 open seed packets jumbled up all over.

o

Sorry to those who are waiting for seeds - I either can't find the few remaining or mistakenly tossed them or I planted them all, not sure which.

o

Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 19:27

No worries, but I won't pick up another roll of stamps until Saturday...I still have about 300 seeds processed, and about another 3-4K that I can process if need be :-)

Tom

o

Tom, I am new to these tomatoes. What do you recommend as a planting medium? Mine are just about ready to be planted. If I use 5-gallon buckets, what do you recommend? If they go directly into the ground, what do you recommend? If I am planting them in the cattails, what do you recommend?

Just kidding about that last one.

Thanks!
Carol

o

My garden and I have been in Idaho for the past 16 yrs, but dreaming of moving to So Florida this year. I started reading this forum to educate myself about such a different world of gardening. In addition to learning more than I could've imagined, I've become charmed and inspired by the kindness and ingenuity of all the folks here.
Tom, I was wondering how the Everglades currant tomato would do in Boise, Idaho where most of our summer is way too hot for tomatoes to set fruit. We often have a whole month with highs over 100*F. ("But it's a dry heat.") What do you think?

Heather

o

Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 6:13

Carol - put some in starter cups with starter medium, and put a few in the ground where you want them, and see how it goes. Remember that these are wild tomatoes...you'll do fine.

Heather - I would give it a try, genetically they are programmed to survive the harshest of conditions and propagate the species.

Tom

o

Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 13:10

Well, I have more stamps and more seeds when out today. If you don't get your seeds by the end of the week then I've messed up with your correspondence, just drop me a line and I'll get them off to you....I packed up all the rest of the 2011 seeds, still have 14 packets left for anyone else interested in trying these hardy little tomatoes.

Tom

o

Tom,

I'm in S St Pete and I would love to try some of these seeds! Tomatoes are SO hard to grow here for me.

o

Tom,

First, I've been thinking a lot about you and the fact that you have dispersed wonderful tomatoes to virtually the entire state of Florida. I am here forward christen you "Tommy Tomatoseed" in the footsteps of the historic Johnny Appleseed!

Second, I have a question. All four of my plants are in the ground and have been for about a week. They are about 4-5" tall. They are planted in very rich soil. They get full sun from noon through sunset - about 7-8 hours a day. In your estimation, approximately how long until I have tomatoes?

Thanks!
Carol

o

Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 19:41

The site selling seeds is getting $8 a pop, that's criminal!

I'm sure you meant 4-5", they'll start bearing by the time they are 2' tall.

Tom

o

Tommy Tomatoseed, they are four-five inches tall. Yeah, inches. For whatever reason, they didn't make good progress in their individual starter cups. Hoping they will leap forward now that they are in the ground. (I did take the time to accustom them to full sun as you instructed.) So I have to wait until they are two feet tall. I wonder how long that generally takes? BTW, I sure did give them a huge portion of my yard. I'm hoping for those 10-foot runners someone mentioned. :)

Carol

o

I have one seedling in the garden. It is about a foot tall now and growing bushy, in a compact way. Like Carol pointed out, the others in small pots are only a few inches tall.

Christine

o

Tom's new name, 'TOMMY TOMATOSEED' You just gotta love it!!

currant-ly available

Lou

o

Hi Tom. Just thought I'd chime in and say that I planted out my starters into my garden from their dixie cups this weekend. They'd been getting accustomed to full sun for a week or so prior. So far so good! Not seeing any transplant shock at all. Thanks for sharing the seeds and your knowledge!

Angela

o

Tom - Message sent.

JP

o

• Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 13, 11 at 16:22

Having never started tomatoes from seed I was a bit apprehensive about how to go about doing it. I followed Tina01's post and when she stated it may be overkill for the everglades I ran with it. Put them in starter cups with potting mix and placed them in direct sun right next to my earthboxes. Watered them on occassion and sure enough they emerged in about 12 days. True leaves started forming and I'm headed to GA next week so in the ground one seedling cup's contents went and another went in to a larger pot to carry to GA for my 84 year old mother-in-law who has tended a vegetable garden for as long as I can remember and *loves* cherry tomatoes! I am also taking her 2 Earthboxes for mother's day as she's been threatening to not garden this year but I know how much she loves it! So thanks again Tom!

~Jo

o

Jo - did you know you can get a stand for the earthboxes? I'm going to attempt to make a stand from PVC for my MIL who just had hip surgery. I've got an everglades tomato going in a hanging planter for her to try.

~dianne

o

Tom and All,

I have my first yellow flowers. Yay!! From what I have read, I am around four weeks from tomatoes!

Carol

o

I have flowers blooming on my everglades too! It's good that the plants will set fruit in the heat because I didn't plant my seeds until the end of February.

Christine

o

I planted the seeds Tom sent me (THANK YOU!) this spring. They are planted in a tire and are in bloom! I am SO EXCITED!!! Here they are, as of a few minutes ago:

Photobucket

o

Hmmm, I wonder if mine are way too late. I just potted up three plants, the seedlings are about 3-4 inches high. They took quite a long while to germinate.

o

Pnbrown, I'm in a much warmer climate than you - I started mine and kept them in the greenhouse - I was able to bring them out earlier than you - maybe that's cheating - ya think?!!

o

Yes, it was :).

Even though I am in florida gardening for a while, in 9a, no greenhouse.

o

On the Everglades Tomatoes I just did the first potting to a larger cup today , now they are only an inch high.

On my Wild Guatemalan Jungle Tomatoes they are around three inches high and were potted up to larger cups a few days ago. These were sent to me from a prospector in Central America that ran across them as he was mining. I want to see if they are similar to the Everglades Tomato in taste and growth and I will plant them a good distance away from the Everglades Tomatoes so they wont cross. As this is a test of the Wild Guatemalan Jungle Tomato I will grow two in pots, and two in the ground.

I'll keep you informed by posting the outcome.

Lou

o

By the way, if you are like me, you will want to save Tom's instructions above for harvesting and saving Everglades seeds. They are detailed and just what you need to know.

His directions are above, in this same thread, in his post on Wednesday, February 9, 11 at 19:24. Posts are listed in date/time order.

Carol

o

From Tom's kind gift of seeds, I actually got my 1st Everglade tomato from my hanging-pot experiment.
Photobucket
Can't wait for more to hang down! Thanks Tom.

o

Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 15:46

My pleasure, think I'll give that a try, really looks interesting.

The allamanda is coming back beautifully.

Photobucket

I snapped these pictures yesterday morning. Anybody in St. Pete want to come over and get some volunteers before I pull them out?

Tom

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Tom, my dad said they had the first cherries today from a couple of plants that I started from seeds you sent me. One is 4 feet tall and really thriving, in-ground.

o

Tom I'd come get them if I were closer! I guess I'm going to have to start some more next month

o

Are the Everglade tomatoes the same as Matt's wild cherry? I would love to try some of these.

o

Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 19:03

Tom, my dad said they had the first cherries today from a couple of plants that I started from seeds you sent me. One is 4 feet tall and really thriving, in-ground.

They'll enjoy them, soon they'll be the only maters growing thru the summer here.

Tom I'd come get them if I were closer! I guess I'm going to have to start some more next month.

Sorry Jules, start them NOW!

Are the Everglade tomatoes the same as Matt's wild cherry? I would love to try some of these.

That's a good question that only geneticist could answer for sure ;-) I'm all out for the now, I'll process a few seeds from the next volunteers but that won't be until the fall.

Tom

o

I'm in St. Pete and would love to pull a couple of volunteers if you haven't pulled them yet. Any left?

o

Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 7:20

I'm in St. Pete and would love to pull a couple of volunteers if you haven't pulled them yet. Any left?

Yes, send me an email and I'll respond tonight, I have not pulled them yet....

Tom

o

OK Tom. I'll start some more this weekend. I think I've got a few seeds left

o

Hi Tom. I've harvested some tomatoes from the plants I grew from your seeds. Wow are they flavorful! Absolutely excellent! Now I am going to try out your directions for saving some seeds. Thanks so much for sharing!

Angela

o

Aren't they wonderful? I eat them straight off the plant, so good.

~dianne

o

• Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 1, 11 at 13:17

I took a tomato that split and squeezed it on to the top of the soil in a small pot, then covered it with soil. I kept it damp for a while and the seedlings exploded. Easiest way to start seedlings.

o

Garf:
Could I interest you in sharing a tomato/tomato seeds with me? Tom is out of everglades currant tomato seeds and I am dying to get some of them. You also my live in my hood as I am also 10b. I am happy to trade it for something else. Some of my prized posessions are cuban oregano with is propagated by cuttings and does amazingly well and is care free in 10b. I also have Jamaican sorrel seeds which makes beautiful bushes and buds that you can turn into a cool red drink.

o

• Posted by gjune z9/10 SoFl (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 3, 11 at 7:21

Garf,
Would you share some tomatoes with me also? I did get some from Tom but have lost them somewhere. Have looked everywhere. Just a few ripe ones in a plastic bag will do. I'll be glad to pay any expenses. Pls email me for my address at GJHOL909@aol.com. Thanks so much. June.

o

I am planting now. Would anyone be willing to send a tomato or two to me?

o

Having trouble finding seeds. Are these seeds available commercially?

o

Tom,

The seeds I got from you several months ago are in containers and are doing okay but it seems the tomatoes disappear from one day to the next. Wondering if something is eating them? I did get a few, though. When I had them in the ground years ago they really bushed out and produced. In these large pots, they are rather straggly looking. Is this typical for the variety? And why are they now called Everglades Currant Tomato seeds? Is this a new variety?

Please reply.

Thanks,

Sheri

o

Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 12:49

All I have left alive right now is a straggler from last year. It is small but blooming now. I should have a few tomatoes shortly. I do have a few purchased seeds left from last year.

o

Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 13:34

After 9 days, I have the first signs of life from the tomato that I squeezed into a pot. They do take a little longer to sprout using that method, but the seedlings seem to be healthier.

o

Looking good garf. Hopefully you did not get hit by the rain/storm.

o

Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 23:30

We got a good soaking, but no real damage. Hurricane season is almost over. Miami can take a lot of rain because of our flood control canal system.

o

Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 19:30

Looks like I'm only going to get 3 seedlings from this last batch. I'll have to start some more.

o

Fri, Oct 14, 11 at 18:23

The first batch seems to be getting stronger. I also found a second batch that I started near the same time.

o

Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 20:45

One of my Everglades plants is not doing well. It is in a pot and seems to be suffering from a deficiency of some sort.

o

Hi-question for Tom or anyone else who has the answer for it......are these Everglades tomatoes the same as Spoon (George Curtis Spoon tomatoes) tomatoes that are super tiny? Would love to try them if they are not the same. :)Could be neat in kids's school garden!
Anyone have any info on their history-it'd be a neat learning project for students?
Thanks all & have a great weekend!

o

FWIW, the damage on those leaves above looks a lot like the damage done by tiny sucking insects such as leaf hoppers &/or spider mites....

o

in need of wild everglade tomato seeds - would appreciate very much - this is my 1st year of having a garden and looking for easy to care plants to gain experience - thank you - these sound yummy!

o

Sun, Jan 29, 12 at 19:12

Wow, I'm surprised this thread is still going. I have a new batch of red seeds but the supply is very limited. I have a huge batch of yellow seeds and the yellow variety has an identical habit and taste to the red. Anyone who would like some seeds just needs to drop me a line, and thank Carol B. (pabrocb), who graciously provided the next round of stamps for free mailings.

Tom

o

Good morning, Tom! Thank you for sharing the red seeds with me last year - I'd love some seeds for the yellow. The red did wonderfully (is that a word?!)- I will email you. Carol B., thank you for providing postage!

o

hi tom i would love some seeds either red or yellow . will email you info. thank you john

o

I emailed you, Tom!

o

I would love to try growing these- prefer the red.
will send you a message.

Thanks

o

I emailed you too! Hope you still have some yellow seeds left. And THANK YOU Carol for the postage. That's soo kind of you!

o

Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 19:52

If I have not responded to anyone, please forgive me, email has been rather hectic. Please drop me a line again.

I still have plenty of yellow seeds, and I just started fermenting another batch, probably 500 seeds. I've got another small batch of red seeds drying now too, around 150 or so.

Tom

o

I would like some of both if you have them. could send you a SASE if I had your address.

o

I got them today. Thanks Tom! I'll be starting some on Thursday. :)

o

I would love some. Sent you an email.

After four years of trying I had my best year with tomatoes ever but that was still less than two pounds of tomatoes from dozens of seedlings (My work schedule and baby plants don't mix too well) and 18 that grew big. My biggest problem is usually wilt but this year I had massive nematode problems. Even the Indian mustard which is usually so care free struggled and stopped growing. The only difference between this year and last was that I had more marigolds than tomatoes in my beds. And I made new beds this year to avoid problems.

I canot wait to try these.

Thanks a million. Alex

o

Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 9:45

Hi Alex, since your in 10b you can start a few weeks earlier than I can. A lot of it is in the timing...you need to come to some of the swaps so we can talk and figure out what you're doing. I picked somewhere between 300-400lbs of tomatoes off of 10 plants this year, if you have any interest in what I'm doing view my clippings.

I'll send you seeds for both red and yellow currants, they'll go out tomorrow.

Tom

o

Hello Tom,

I have one plant already going strong of this type that I bought off ebay, however I have yet to get 1 tomato off it! The place I put it has a resident "stealer" and eats every one that gets close to ripe. (I've just sent away for a motion sensor sprinkler LOL)
Anyway I'd love to have another few seeds to place in other spots in my garden if you have any left. My kids eat these like candy and keep getting so upset that there's none to eat.

Anyway, if you do have any left of the red and yellow I"d love a few.
Kind Regards,
Samantha (sent you an email)

o

• Posted by czfljo Daytona Beach-9A/B (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 12:15

Tom! Just had to resurrect this from page 11! Last year you sent me some seeds and I started a few seedlings. Went to GA for 10 days to visit with my inlaws and took a seedling along for my 83 year old mother in law. Got home and had forgotten to show my appointed "waterer" where the seedlings were and of course they dried up and went south.

Planted mother in laws in an earthbox and it took off like gangbusters and she happily plucked her little tomatoes all summer long. Spoke with her 2 weeks ago(you may know where this is going) seedlings popping up EVERYWHERE! Even in the flower bed on the other side of her house. She's taken them to the hairdresser, her bible study class, her neighbors....Soooo, the Everglade currant tomatos are thriving in Atlanta, GA!

Just had to share!

Jo

o

I have mine in a pot. One is getting along ok, but the others are very, very slow. I'm sure I'm not doing something right. The pot is huge and might be blocking the sun for part of the day...maybe that?

I waited to plan the yellow currant seeds until I can figure out how these grow best.

I can't wait for them to grow and produce!

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 17:33

Hi Tom... We ate Tom's Tomatoes all year, and finally now the heat and old age have taken their toll, but they are being resurrected all over the place and pop up everywhere! Thanks again! If you have any spare yellow currant seeds maybe you could let me have a few? I'd like to try some, they sound fantastic.... and I have lots of Salvia and other perennials to share if you'd like some...Thanks again, sally

o

Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 17:59

...(you may know where this is going) seedlings popping up EVERYWHERE!....

Hi Jo, this is one occasion where I like sharing with the birds ;-)

Ness, find a place to put some in the ground.

Hi Sally, I have two of the yellow currants still prepacked and probably another 500 seeds not packaged. I honestly think the yellow is hardier and better tasting, email me your address again and I'll put them in the mail.

Tom

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 6, 12 at 16:24

Thanx Tom, I sent you my address...sally

o

Thanks! I put one out in the garden I just ripped up (watermelons that rotted) and will do the rest when I come back from vacation.

I will plant the yellow currant seeds straight in the ground...again, when I get back.

o

This is my first year for Everglades currants (seeds from Tom). The red ones are just about dead. The yellows in a 25 gallon container are producing like crazy. However, unlike the photos I have seen of the reds where the fruit and leaves are in similar proportion, the yellows in the container have dense foliage. I have one in the ground and it has not done much more than grow foliage and has produced very little fruit. FWIW

o

Did I read some where that Everglades can be grown in shade, or did I dream it?
And when is the earliest I should start some in 9B?

o

Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 17:46

Did I read some where that Everglades can be grown in shade, or did I dream it? And when is the earliest I should start some in 9B?

They prefer sun, won't grow in the shade for very long, may start out great but die off quickly. I'd start seeds every few months year around til you figure out when they do best for you.

Tom

o

Hm. Maybe I will have to grow them in my parking lot at my office. Only place I get a lot of sun.

o

I totally mucked up the yellow ones you sent me, Tom. But I have 4 of the reds in the ground that are doing great. Considering how big they get, it's probably just as well....as long as these babies do OK. They are about 10" and looking good so far. Hoping they are big enough to take the heat.

Becca

o

Well, checked on them this afternoon, and I have green tomatoes on one of them!!! Wow, how exciting. Tomatoes in June!!!! ...ok, so my cherries and romas are still ripening, but no green ones. This is exciting for sure!

Becca

o

Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 19:28

Hi Becca, the yellows are hardier and lots of us think they taste better, want some more?

o

Yes, please! Do you need my address again?

Becca

o

Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 18:08

Yup, please. I've sent out so many seed packets I just stopped keeping addresses a couple of years ago....

o

I just checked in to see if the thread that never dies is still here. I have little greenies. It is so exciting! TomnCath deserves a humanitarian award for the work he is doing. He is a sweetie pie, who makes many people dance with joy in the back yard when they have success. I am grateful.

o

I got my yellow seeds this week. BIG SMOOCH to Tom!
Can't wait to try these. Thanks.

o

Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 18:55

Hi Girls, enjoy!

I just checked in to see if the thread that never dies is still here

Oh, this post will die, GW limits posts to 150 responses :-) :-(

Tom

o

My red seedlings have been chivying along slowly. I have one in the ground that's about 4 inches high and a couple in a large pot that are slightly smaller. Just planted the yellows this morning. I hope it's not too late in the season to plant them!

o

i would love some seeds any..
as WE just start a container garden
have 12 swc, can hardly wait for the fall planting.
yes learn a hard lesson all ready.. too hot in zone 10 in the summer

o

swc = self-watering containers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here