Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_2009

just waiting............

hester_2009
11 years ago

Clerodendrum about to pop - here's hoping our storms this afternoon do no damage as I wait all year for these bloo

ms!

This one is a little further along even though it's a little skimpy on the leaves - our cold weather causes leaf drop.

anyone else growing these?

Hester

Comments (7)

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    11 years ago

Hester: Always love to see pictures from your garden! I hope the storms are kind and you can post subsequent photos showing your plant in full dress.

Meanwhile, I did have one of these but gave it away when I read that it was a garden thug. Seeing yours gives me regrets. Do you find suckers popping up all over?

June

• hester_2009
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, June.
    Everyone says these plants are very invasive, but I must say that after three years of having these in my yard, I have pulled up about 4 suckers. At my old house, however, I visited after I moved (it was empty for over a year and I snuck in!), the plant had, in fact, taken over the space. So the key, I guess, is to keep an eye on things and pull up the suckers when you see them.
    I don't mind it as I think the plant is worth the small amount of work!
    Hester

• foreverlad
    11 years ago

Few months ago I came across my first Clerodendrum at an Ace Hardware garden center. It was about 7' tall, but extremely sparse, I mean, it'd make any self-respecting Plumeria feel like it needed a haircut. I remember trying to research the plant listed on the tag and it just didn't match up AT ALL with what I was seeing online.

2 weeks later, one of the Lowes near me got in a shipment of them, and I was astounded by how gorgeous they are as a shrub. I picked one up, but it's got another 2 weeks or so before the blooms come.

It's only 2 feet tall right now. Really hoping to see some growth this year. I can only imagine what yours looks like when there's no cold to contend with.

Be sure to show us some updates along the way!

Mike

• User
    11 years ago

Thought we just might make it here this year! Had beautiful, small clumps of bud showing , then that last cold snap did 'em in!! Might get a token bloom on one of the more protected ones! Yours are really nice!!!!!

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Yes, I grow it - my plants are full of blooms. I grow mine in a pot.

• bradisha
    11 years ago

beautiful blooms on the starburst tree, mines has completed the bloom cycle can't wait until next November for the show.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I grow it too and love it. I don't get blooms every year since sometimes we get cold snap and the blooms drop, but when it does bloom it's lovely. I think it's worth the effort, like Hester, to pull the suckers. You could even start new plants from them.

I had a variegated one for a few years but it died with the two cold winter we had. It also kept trying to revert back.