Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Royl Lee cherry

Posted by yummfruit 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 8:53

Hey yall, for the guys that have planted the bay laurel low chill cherries here in central florida, How are they doing? I just planted the royal lee, mini royal cherries on colt root stock. also Pettingill apple on m111 root stock, goldkist apricot on nemagaurd root stock and finally kayty apricot on citation root stock. Please let me know if anyone has tips on what to do or not to do with these trees. would love to hear from someone that is getting fruit off of these trees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Royl Lee cherry

I'd be interested in hearing as well. I just planted the Royal Lee & Minnie Royal trees up here. (Before someone tells me I'm stupid...I planted them knowing that they are an experiment. I know I may never see fruit because they may not tolerate the disease pressures in our humidity. But I think it's worth a try.)

o

Didn't have them for a year yet but I planted 4 cherries as an experiment myself around a month ago. Royal lee and mini royal broke dormancy and pushing out leaves now. Stell & Lapins - just now starting to bud-out. All on the new dwarf rootstock 3CR178.

I contacted nursery and they said to hold-off on head-cutting/pruning them until summer because of diseases.
Also, was suggested to paint them top to bottom with 50% water/50% white latex paint to protect form the sun.

Hopefully it worksout for all of us lol.

o

Mine are also on 3CR178 rootstock. They were planted mid-January and their first leaves are emerging now.

I painted mine, too, but the written instructions that came with my trees said to paint from just below the bottom branch to the ground, not all the way to the top. So that's what I did. Even the buds that are below the paint line are opening - the coating of paint isn't slowing them down at all.

My trees had already been head-cut so they would fit in the shipping box. I am not planning on doing any more pruning until next winter, except for rubbing off any buds that sprout too low to the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here