Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Malabar spinach

Posted by dclegg 9a florida (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 12 at 8:54

Is it to early to plant malabar spinach in Central Florida? If it is okay, any special tips? Do I soak the seed first, etc? Is it okay to grow in Earth boxes on my screened in room?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Malabar spinach

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 4:46

It may not be warm enough yet for starting in ground but indoors is ok. Malabar spinich Likes it hot with full Fla. sun I would plant outside. They are a prolific vine. Im not crazy about their flavor it is too strong for me.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 7:34

I have had it self seed for years now in my veggie garden and it is already climbing up the fencing. I am futher south though and not as cold. :o)

o

I'm a bit further north than you. I let some go to seed in my garden last year in hopes that it will show back up on its own, but nothing yet. I think it is still too cool here.

o

I would wait until it gets warmer to plant them. They grow best in hot weather. I used to live in Vero Beach. Mine never made it into the house, I ate it right off of the vine. Mine wasn't fussy about watering. It took it dry or watered often. It will grow alot faster if you keep it watered. The berries will stain your fingers, but that's were the seeds are. If you have plenty of seeds why don't you try a couple now and see how they do. I never soaked the seeds, I just stuck them in pots and kept them watered.

o

It's not the heat, it's the humidity. I've found that it doesn't really take off till the humidity also climbs sky high.

Incidentally, does anyone have any suggestions for alternative summer greens that are also easy to grow? I gave malabar spinach to some friends and it grows like mad for them but they don't like the texture.

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 12 at 20:45

Young sweet potato leaves are pretty good as long as you pick them when they are still soft. They are the perfect summer garden weed.

o

I had kale grow all year round.

o

Thanks for the suggestions, rednofl and zackey. I love kale, but I thought it got kind of tough and bitter in really hot weather?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here