Anybody Have any

ninecrow
11 years ago

Poinsettias Left over from Christmas?
Thanks All

Comments (11)

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

I don't understand what you're asking? Do we just have them? Or do we have them to trade?
    Here's what's left of mine now that our days are getting so warm. I'll be putting them in the ground soon.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was just asking Because I wanted to see some Outside Growing Poinsettias, as We Can't Have Them outside Here...
    Cool Pot, Please what else is in there?
    Thanks

• kayjones
    11 years ago

I have one growing (and blooming) in a pot, in my enclosed Florida room - 2 years old now - too cold to grow them outdoors here.

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

Nine, all that's in the pot is the one Poinsettia, two variegated Aztec Grass (Liriope), and some Alyssum. It looked a lot better before the Poinesttia drooped!

Kay, that's cool you can keep them in pots. We're not "supposed" to be able to grow them as perennials here, either. But everywhere I look, businesses and subdivisions and my neighbors have them in the ground. This will be my first year trying it out. I've had it outside in that pot since October... when it was still toasty warm here... and it has made it through the 2 or three light frosts in December, and more recently the two frost nights we just had.
    I'll be watching it closely after putting it in the ground in case I need to put it back in a pot.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

Any that I get I put in the ground after Christmas and they can last for several years or die within the next year. They aren't grown to last more then the one season, so we are lucky when they do. One time I had a couple last for 4 years and were about 4 feet tall, but that hasn't happened again.

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

Well, that's discouraging. LOL!
    Is it the heat of summer that kills them? Or the frosts in winter? What's their stinkin' problem?

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Here's one that's in my neighborhood that's really nice...it looks to be about 3 or 4 years old looking at the size of the trunk? There's actually several of them in my area that grow in the ground.

Like Katkin, I have planted several in the ground that have lasted anywhere form a few months to just a couple of years and either die from frost or just die for whatever reasons.

• ninecrow
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had Mine for 11 Years, but He was inside in a 5inch pot.....
    Now That is a NICE Plant puglvr1!!!
    Thanks Guys

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

OOOh! Gorgeous! I hope mine lasts for a while in the ground before it dies.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

9crow, maybe they grow them differently there. But here they are only intended to last the Christmas season and more than that is a bonus.

• aloyzius
    11 years ago

I put mine in the ground after Christmas last year, and now they're doing great. It's like a shrub. I guess they need long periods of darkness, like twelve hours or more, before they will turn red. So mine are green most of the time. They're great.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert