Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help w/ ID

Posted by newf12 9florida (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 9:00

I have some kind of critter in back yard creating very large piles of dirt. I am from up north and did battle with moles frequently. They would leave small piles of dirt and your lawn would be full of tunnels. I can feel no tunneling around these mounds and can't find any hole in the pile so I have NO idea how they are getting all that dirt out of the ground! What is this thing and how do I get rid of it before my entire yard looks like a sand pit?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help w/ ID

could it be an armadillo? Mine leave sorta like trenches where they dig for bugs and such. I'm a nature lover, so I let them be and just kick over the dirt, I'd rather have them then the bugs. We have tortoises that dig deep burrows as well, but I suspect you'd see those, they're big, lol.
Lori

o

Sounds like gophers to me. They are not easy to get rid of and they eat the roots of your grass. I knock down the mounds when I see them and water the grass in those spots.

o

armadillos don't live up north!!

o

I don't have any ideas for you, but we had a similar thing happen next to my mother's house. Mounds of dirt just appearing over-night. She called me over to try and identify what could be making the mounds, but I couldn't find any tracks or anything in the dirt around the mounds. I would carefully dismantle the mounds, scooping away inch after inch, just in case I found a tunnel I wouldn't disturb the resident too much. Each mound I ended up clearing with no signs of tunneling underneath. There were no holes, burrows, entrances or even messed up grass. It looked for all the world like someone had dumped about a 3-gal bucket worth of dirt next to her yard. But each time we dismantled a mound, the next morning there would be another. Never did figure out what was making them, but eventually they ceased to form.

o

Hi there! Okay so I found (against EVERY old wives tale that I have ever heard) that moles are attracted to wind pinwheels. You know, like the children's toy? I am in Orlando area, and I had a problem with a mole who I actually saw one day when pulling out of my yard in the car, rummaging around in my flower beds. I got a pinwheel, and it seemed to drive him nuts! The first day, I got it to scare him off. Clearly, that didn't work, but he seemed to be drawn to it! Each night, he tried to dig it out. My solution? Slowly moving it(the pinwheel) a little closer to my fence each night. After about a week, he seemed to have found a new home, outside of my yard. I haven't had a problem since, and its been over a year. Good luck, they are frustrating!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here