Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juttz

New to Florida

juttz
10 years ago

I have a winter home in Holiday Florida now and it has opened up a whole new world to me...I have found plants that I have wanted but couldnt grow up north and of course the fact that I have another growing season to work with while Im waiting for Michigan to thaw out..Im sure alot of you know how Im feeling..now the question for all of you Floridians..I would love to find a staghorn fern but I dont see them for sale where I live..I do see them in peoples yard so I know they are getting them somewhere....I also am figuring they have to have shade but can they grow without my help if I leave it down here when I go back home.....any help would be appreciated..Judy

Comments (8)

• leahrenee1
    10 years ago

Have you tried craigslist? I see them listed sometimes, are there any local nurseries, they usually carry them. You can buy them online as well.

• derbyka
    10 years ago

You can often find small, starter ones at local nurseries. If you want to shell out money and start with something big, I also second the craigslist suggestion. You might even consider putting out a "want" add.

• Tom
    10 years ago

The answer to your other question is yes, they will survive normally quite well in the summer months if they are under a tree. The problem you might have is that if they aren't secured with a locked chain someone might pilfer them--especially if they are large.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    how do you intend to grow them?? While in nature they are epiphytic Platycerium bifuratum is very adaptable.
    HD frequently has them in small pots for under 5 bucks .
    Now if you want the more exotic types be prepared for a long and expensive search lol gary

• juttz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everybody who sent in ideas....Gary, I go to Home Depot all the time and I never see them but of course I will keep trying...HD is my closest souce of plants and Im always looking for different nurseries..Lowes is the other one I get alot of things from but not alot of different varieties....I will try craigslist which I never thought about..again thanks to all of you for the helpful ideas...Judy

• abnorm
    10 years ago

Judy.....We grow and give plenty of Staghorns......Where are you located in Florida ?

Like Gary said How do you plan to grow it......

Yes they need a little shade.....they'll happily grow on the North side of a fence or wall.....

Of course they will hang in the shade of a tree.....I also fasten alot of ferns directly to a tree trunk.....

If you're gone for 6 months they will survive IF they can get a little supplied water.....maybe your lawn sprinklers reach or a neighbor "waters" the fence

I've spread RedSoloCups of "pups" all over the FloridaForum ...... We'll be at Silvia's Garden Party.................

dougandpam

This post was edited by abnorm on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 13:01

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

Juttz, I think every single The Home Depot and Lowes in Jacksonville has them. You may not be looking in the right places - they are usually indoors or inside the greenhouse area with the house plants, or they sometimes near the succulents. But maybe you will be able to snag a piece from Doug and Pam.

Welcome to Florida!

Carol in Jacksonville

• morningloree
    10 years ago

Also check for plant shows in your area, Leu Gardens will have theirs soon. I always see them there and at other shows. I have mine hanging in a basket under a tree, no worries as far as care.