Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central Florida is not Tampa, etc.

Posted by sandandsun 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 9:15

The Tampa area is NOT central Florida. The continued assertion that it is part of central Florida is a major contributor to the failures of novices and the naive. The Tampa area is zone 10. Central Florida is zone 9. And northern Florida is zone 8.
Zone 10 limited plants will die in central Florida's zone 9 without protection.
As an example (the straw that broke this camel's post), the first touted "great landscape tree" in the thread linked below, Tabebuia, is listed by Floridata with a northern zone limit of 10 (9 with protection). Since it theoretically will survive in zone 9 with protection, this may NOT be the best example; however, it will do to make the point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Landscape Trees of Central Florida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central Florida is not Tampa, etc.

I think northeast Florida is Zone 9a.

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Photobucket

o

Tabebuia impetiginosa, chrysotricha and umbellata are all hardy into the low 20sF. This makes them zone 9a 9warmer parts)/9b trees. Plenty around Orlando which is zone 9b.

Central Florida has a wide climate range; zone 10 along the coasts to Cape Canaveral and Clearwater and zone 8b in the northern sections.

o

Even *inside* the bay area, things vary dramatically. My house, near the bay in St. Pete is typically 10 degrees warmer on cold mornings than South Tampa near the bay. And South Tampa will be warmer than more inland areas like Brandon.

As a result there is a dramatic difference in what things you'll see growing. Plenty of mangos, jacaranda, royal poinciana, etc. in St Pete but you'll find none of those once you get across the bridge and inland just a bit.

o

Yeah,
well....
I didn't protect my baby Tabebuia and it's dead, dead, dead!

We dropped to 31F

so, blah!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here