Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
safe planting time

Posted by stuartdave 10a (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 9:32

I am anxious and see no threat of freezing temps in my area in the next 2 weeks. I am well past the last freeze date for my area and its very doubtful that my area can get freezing temps in March. Can I now fertilize my fruit trees and plants and begin the spring season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: safe planting time

I've started my spring fertilizing on my trees, shrubs and veggies this weekend. I'm in Broward and I'm really not expecting to see any more frosty cold fronts making it all the way down here with freezing temps to harm the plants. But that's just me..

o

Stuartdave,

May I please ask you where you found the info on the last frost date for your area? I was looking for a site that told me when my last frost date is, haven't had any luck finding it. I also want to get started on my pruning and fertilizing...I'm in Central of the state, two hours south of Orlando. Mind sharing the link or website...

Although you are south of me, my 10 day extended forecast on Weather.com has me at 38 friday night, if its accurate?

Thanks,

o

For Central Florida , March is a safer time to begin Spring activities .
Citrus are first fertilized in Mid-March after their long break from the last time in August .
Lawns should not be fertilized until green growth is showing . Fertilizing brown grass is not recommended .
When you see signs of some kind of growing activity with your fruit trees and plants - that is the time to fertilize rather than depending on when the last freeze " normally " occurs .

o

Thought I posted but guess I didn't :) Is it ok for my to try again with a couple of tomato plants? I lost mine from that cold blast a few weeks ago.I'm in Jupiter ( Northern PB county). I was also wondering id I should cut back the damge now or wait on my Tiouchina, cat's whiskers.etc? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

o

For zone 10 :
Plant your tomatoes .
Cut back your plants .
Hope for rain .
Fertilize in a few weeks .

o

For zone 10 - Fertilize in March, June, and October if you fertilize 3 times a year. If twice, then April and September. Don't fertilize your lawn, get rid of it.

o

Thank you !!! I agree about the lawn !!!:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here