Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tampa Swap--Final Details

Posted by crueltyfre Tampa 9a heat 10 s (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 10:06

Saturday, April 21...gate opens at 9 for dropoff/set up, swapping starts at 10

Here's how it works--same as other years--

Calling it a "swap/trade" has given new people the wrong idea, it doesn't really work that way. We do not trade or swap a plant for a plant. If you have nothing to swap, you can still come. If you only have three things to get rid of, it is conceivable you could go home with a dozen things.

First step...post what you have and are bringing, and are looking for. You can bring anything garden related-plants, cuttings, seeds, books, magazines, pots, tools, etc.

Read all the other posts in the thread and see what others have to offer. If you see something that you really want, set up that trade now, privately. Then that item will be earmarked for you and you can pick it up at the swap.

Pack up all your unwanted items even if you posted them on the exchange thread and no one asked for them. There will be non-Gardenweb people here who might want them and beginners who need everything who did not want to appear greedy by asking for all your stuff in the thread.

Between 9-10 am show up and unload your stuff. Find a spot in the back or front yard and put all your items down in that spot. Make sure all the plants have labels on them, even if it's nothing more than a marker on a leaf or a piece of tape on a cup. This is VERY important, no one remembers it all by the end of the day.

After you've unloaded and found your spot, wander around and look at what everyone else has brought. Eat. Drink. Socialize.

When everyone has arrived, we will then, one person at a time, go over our pile of giveaways and stuff. You will tell everyone what you brought, how to cultivate it, etc. If you want whatever is being talked about, raise your hand and it's yours. If more hands go up then there are items, rounds of Rock, Paper, Scissors determines who gets it. This is why you might get more than you came with. Plus there are always items that no one wants, and new gardeners can clean up at the end.

After it's all done there will be more eating, drinking and socializing. Please bring something to eat or drink, I will supply cups and plates and such. I do not have enough tables for sitting, so make it finger foods you can grab and carry around. Bringing chairs can't hurt.

Feel free to invite non-Gardenwebbers you might know who would be interested. We need new people with new plants.

No KIDS OR PETS..I have an unscreened, rock edged pool that is not kid safe, and dogs that dislike other dogs. There will be cats underfoot as well.

If you need directions, email me privately (I will not post it publically) and I'll send it to you. I'm in NW Hillsborough right off the Veterans.

Can't wait to see you all again and meet those I don't know!
Lori

2009 swap pictures
http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/ww324/Crueltyfre/Yard and Garden Pictures/Tampa Swap Spring 2009/

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 Swap Photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tampa Swap--Final Details

I'm pretty sure I can make it,good excuse to start dividing Orchids.I'll start seeds for any special requests for specific Hot pepper varieties I probably have and bring plenty of xtras I already have.I have way to many Heirloom tomato seedlings up...mail me if interested in an early trade,things starting a bit early this year it seems!I'm looking for over 5 gal. nursery pots.Lots of other tropicals...
Looking forward to seeing the folks I've met other years and meeting new friends!

o

Told hubby about this and he is excited to try it!
I hope to have something more than purple queens, impatiens and purslane to share. :D
Val

o
RE: Tampa Swap- -Final Details

It's shaping up!

Here's my have list--
if there's something you want rooted, tell me now.
Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden, links and photos

o

Have not been to a swap before. But here is what I have: St. Vincent Lilac Vine plants that will be about 3 months old by swap time. Cuttings of Mona Laveder, Mrs Pollack (Zonal Geranium), and Devil's Backbone, that I am rooting. I planted Dwarf Barbados Cherry Tree seeds, about 3 weeks ago and will bring some if they germinate. The parent plant didn't even blink during this last cold snap, I was surprised. My Red Firespike is recovering well from the cold snap and it is easy to root, so as soon as it gets a little larger, I'll start that. I have Ghost Plant that is really easy to root, but so many people have it, I am not sure it will be a welcome addition. I don't have anything in particular that I'm looking for, probably some of the ordinary I don't have. I do like Gingers though, have lots of dappled shady areas.

o

I plan on coming.

Carol B. Sarasota

o

I plan on coming. Not sure what to bring or what anyone wants. Off the top of my head I can bring katuk, necklace pod, bromeliads, christmas palm seedlings, dfferent banana varities, native low growing porterweed, some begonias and tropcals but in the past this group didn't seem interested in them. I have tons of stuff let me know what everone is looking for.

Lori you have a really nice list. I would love an alcantarea imperalis rubra pup and any begonias you want to share. What do you like?

Scoville I would love some orchid divisions! If you want to work out a trade beforehand I have a full garden I should be able find something you like, want or just plain gotta have. What kind of tropicals do you like? I have heliconias, hedychiums, costus and dormant stuff that may or may not show up by then

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 14:30

Well now Keiki,\ I think 2 years ago I brought home a Ice Cream banana you had brought, and that thing is growing just fine in my back-yard and produced a pup... no bananas yet but it sure looks very healthy and it will be just a matter of time... and THANK YOU !! I have really scored at Lori's swaps, and so many of my jewels are shining bright thanks to all you garden-guru's, so please don't think your offerings are not appreciated.. I am eagerly looking forward to what you-all bring this year.... and thanks again, sally

o

Keiki I'd be interested in a quality Lobster or Crab Claw Heliconia.Most of my orchid tags are long gone but I bought most from Bud Spence in St. Pete.

o

Sally I am glad to hear the banana is doing well. Ice cream takes a full 2 years to fruit the first time so hopefully you will have fruit this summer.

Scoville how about heliconi rostrata and/or jacquini?

o

Keiki-
I'm growing more and more begonias, love the hardy ones. You can get cuttings of any of mine when you're here. I'd love some of yours if they're hardy, I'm sick of tender stuff freezing. And the alcantara hasn't sent out a pup yet, I just got it last year. If one shows up by the swap you can take it.
Lori

o

I should be able to be there, just have to find a babysitter. I have seeds for pigeon peas, tom's everglade cherry toms, and purple bell peppers - if anyone is interested I can start some.

Keiki, I would love whatever banana varieties will do well this far north. I have always wanted a banana tree but didn't think any would grow here until I saw bamboorabbit's! I don't know much about the different varieties though.

Lori - I would love to have some of those herbs. I only have parsley right now. It came back up on its own this year!

o

Lori sadly I don't know the names of most of my begonias. The couple I can remember right now are not very hardy. I will pot some of the hardy ones up and you can see if you want them. I have a black one that I got from a gentleman who hybridized it himself so it is rare and beautiful. It is hardy in my garden.

Trusifi my hardiest banana is raja puri. It is a stout very strong tropical looking banana with its leaves standing out more than most. It has small desert bananas that are good eating. I have others but this is what I would recommend for you. I would love a purple bell pepper plant or two :)

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 16:11

I have started some FENNEL... it is from seed from a plant I bought last year at a Nursery... I love it, it now has huge bulbs, and the fronds taste like licorice.... I got it orginally for the butterflys, but learned it is very easy to grow, if there is much interest I'll start more...sally

o

Sounds great Keiki.Did someone mention Pigeon Peas?I have a couple xtra bushes...

o

Ted and I will be coming over from Orlando. I don't have my list together yet but I will post it as soon as I have time to figure out what I have. Looking forward to a swap once again as I have not been to one in a while due to illness. Glad to be back gardening, Linda

o

I have confirmed a babysitter! So tomorrow I will start the purple bells.

Keiki - I googled raja puri and it is one of 3 bananas recommended for where I live, so that sounds great to me! Now I just have to start researching how to take care of it. At least I know who to ask on here. :)

Sally - I would love some fennel. I've never grown it or cooked with it, but I like to try new things!

o

OMG I love your swaps, Lori! Count me in! Tina

o

OMG..I have almost procrastinated to long. I have been seeing that sign up the road now for 3 years and just decided to do something about it. I'm a newbie at this sorta thing so please,..be gentle. I have 2 chiquita banana plants,1 smooth cheyanne pineapple. Bromeliad pup cuttings...Fireball, variegated galaposa(matchstick),1 tillansia hybrid that needs a good home.Some ice plant and maybe some orchid cuttings.
I have but 1 final question about this whole thing. You mention food and drink. Enough for personal consumption? Enough to share or shall I break out the Chef Cordon Blue Army Battalion cookbook.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 19:53

Not bringing much but wouldn't miss this for anything, I'll be bringing Silvia's red lime seedlings, seeds and a few PVC watering wands that will accommodate a Hozon for gentle watering and fertilizing at the same time.

As usual, for eats I bought a couple of pineapples last weekend and they are very fragrant now, I'll cut them up tomorrow and let them sweeten in their own juices for a day or so...should be ambrosia by Saturday ;-)

Tom

o

Tom-
That is just plain cruel. My mouth is watering just thinking about it and now I have to wait 2 more days to eat your pineapple. Shame on you!

Now I have to go think of something food to bring...

Barbie

o

I'll be taking a bunch of small containers. If anyone has one or two gallon containers to spare, I could use a few.

o

Shuffles, just in case you didn't know, Lowes is now a recycle center for containers. I take mine there all the time - and sometimes I "trade some in" for the size I need. The collecting rack is usually near the back or side-back. And it is usually one of those rolling racks with multiple shelves. Hope this helps,

Carol

o

love the yard,
Thanks. I didn't know. Lowes is not close to me, while Home Depot is. If no one wants them Saturday, I will take them to Lowes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here