Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppies?

Posted by shear_stupidity 9B (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 10:16

Is anyone in Florida having any luck growing Poppies? I'd like to try to grow them from seed (like I did up north), but I've tried once before and failed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppies?

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:32

I never had any luck with them either. A lot of plants for zone 9 or 10 won't take Fl 9 or 10. They want Ca where it is drier. :o)

o

I sowed California poppy seeds (eschscholzia californica) in my garden a couple of Decembers ago (bought a seed pack at WalMart on a whim). The following spring the poppies yelled "hey...look at ME!" as they danced in their brilliant orange dresses. They definitely dominated the landscape. Another plus - the attractive finely cut blue green foliage that, unfortunately, eventually browned by early summer.

With the generous amount of seed heads that appeared (and within each one copious amounts of minute seeds) I thought I would have loads of self-seeded plants the following spring but, to my regret, only a few plants appeared here and there. I have a few self-seeded plants this year also. Hopefully this year I'll remember to look for seed packs so I can renew the display for next spring.

o

I miss Oriental Poppies. And Lilacs. And Peonies. And, and, and... sighhhhh.

o

June, I didn't know how else to reach you, but I got my Zinnia seeds yesterday! (Just didn't know it until today) Thank you so much! You were VERY generous!

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 9:26

A lot of annuals will grow in the fall and winter here and last until spring if we don't get below freezing. But once our hot humid summers come they seem to melt. I love all the colors of the annuals but have lately been staying with tropicals that can survive our summers. Still I can't resist plants like cosmos or gallardia that self seed easily. :o)

o

I'm still trying to find tropical foliage plants. So far, the list is fairly limited as to what's available locally. Selloum Philodendron, Schefflera, Elephant Ears, Bird of Paradise, Banana, and palm trees. What else IS there? I can't landscape my whole back yard with just those, it's too big of a space.
What tropicals do you have, Katkin?

o

Shirley poppies grew for me last year - they were part of a wildflower mix. I'm gonna be trying again soon.When sowing outside, I scatter seeds & cover w/ compost or potting mix, instead of soil.

I also have good luck w/ prickly poppies - both white & yellow(Mexican) - basically a weed around here.

Poppies are 1 of my fave flowers = )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here