Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Whoa! New look is nice!

What a surprise - I think I like it - haven't noticed any bugs yet...

Comments (24)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Yes, I noticed it yesterday too...Looks very "springlike" :o)

I like it so far...Thanks for the person/persons responsible for giving us a fresh look!

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

It definitely looks more 'garden-like' now. If I could change anything, I would make the background 'fixed' so that the clouds and field stay at the top of my browser instead of scrolling off the screen as I go down through threads. But you won't really hear me complaining. Much.

• katkin_gw
    11 years ago

I like the new look too. Years ago we tried to get the flower changed to something that would be more apt to grow in Fl with no outcome. Maybe they'll change it now. :o)

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

I've had posts say they're submitted, and I can see them, but they disappear a few minutes or hours later. I've "clicked here" to no longer receive emails about a particular thread, but they keep coming. I hate all the Google ads, especially when they load poorly and run into people's posts or pictures. And they STILL didn't make it so you can search for a particular member's posts or comments, which would be handy when you know who said something, but don't remember ~where.~
    It's brighter and prettier, though... if you like that sort of thing.
    ;)

• TampaBull
    11 years ago

I agree... love the look

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Shear, you can always view with Firefox and the NoScript add on - then there are NO ads. I don't know how to help with your email problem, though.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

Or AdBlock Plus. That's what I use. I haven't seen an ad or pop-up in two years. Well, on my computer that is. My android is so old that there isn't an decent blocker for it.

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

I'm on a Mac, so no Firefox. The ads aren't pop-ups, they're just docked on the right. Which would be fine if they weren't MOVING... or overlapping post threads sometimes. Distracting.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm on Firefox on my Mac (OS10.7.5) & experience none of the probs shear_stupidity describes...?

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Here's a link to download Firefox for Mac, if you would like to try it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox for Mac download

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

There's been firefox for mac for as long as there's been firefox. However, if you prefer safari, try glimmerblocker, which is what I use.

Here is a link that might be useful: glimmerblocker

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

I was "a PC" until last year. Now I'm "a Mac." I'm still learning. I do prefer Safari (used Firefox forever when I was PC), but I will check out Glimmerblocker.
    Thanks!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

It installs as a pane in system prefs, which is nice because it means it never causes problems when there's a safari update. Also, it not only stops ads from displaying, but from loading as well (with most adblockers you still have the slowdown from the ad loading, even though you don't see it).

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Yesterday I was having the same trouble with the left-side ads - like Bridget says, they were moving over the posts and blocking the text I was trying to read. But today there's only a few of them and they are staying where they belong.

I've been using GW for so long with the old format that it's gotten to be like "home"...but this is going to grow on me very quickly.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    old and grouchy opposed to ANY kind of chage!! lol gary

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    11 years ago

Just me maybe, but my eyes weren't handling the narrow 611px strip of bright slightly too small usable(without the ads) text running down the center of my 1920px wide monitor so it goaded me into kinda sorta learning a little CSS. Using the Stylish add-on in Firefox, gardenweb, to me looks like it it does in this styled thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/html/msg0122255220704.html?6 What one loves, another hates may not.

In this case though, I suspect monitor aspect-ratio, as well as condition of eye sight plays a role.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So OT now, but I want to say that hubby & I share the computer & have separate browsers - he prefers Safari as well, but apparently, IT SUX - he is constantly having issues w/ it & asking me for help.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

What issues, Carol?

• Steppy
    11 years ago

As for the flower, tha'ts "supposed" to be a passion vine, but it sure doesn't look like one. I don't know where they got that image, but whoever drew it knew nothing about passion vines.

• shear_stupidity
    11 years ago

Images are now apparently limited in size. Makes identifying plants a LOT more difficult. Anyone found a way to get images to show larger than they have been since the change?

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi writersblock - issues are usually: 'I can't copy & paste text', & 'videos won't play'

Which always work fine on FF

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I don't know about the copy/paste problem--I never have a problem with that, unless the text is really an image, like GIF text or something. For video, make sure he has flip4mac, free download for wmv files:

Here is a link that might be useful: flip4mac

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Also, remember that flash isn't pre-installed on macs anymore. If he wants to watch flash you'll need to either install it or just switch to using Chrome as your browser when you need to see flash content (Chrome has flash built-in). I have flash (have to for other reasons), but I don't recommend it--it's such a security swiss cheese. If I had the option, I'd use chrome when I needed it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - FWIW, we have all those already installed, but for some reason Safari seems to randomly default to disabling plug-ins...