Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rednofl

Here it comes

rednofl
11 years ago

I woke up this morning and saw 30 predicted for Sat night. Could be a disaster everything has flushed with new growth. Ahhh love this Fl weather. Now it says 34 amazing.

This post was edited by rednofl on Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 10:54

Comments (13)

• pnbrown
    11 years ago

if it's 30 for 9b then that will be a disaster since I'm closer to 8b. I was wondering if we'd get another frost.

• Michael AKA Leekle2ManE
    11 years ago

30? What weather forecast are you looking at? I had to check with Weather Underground and Weather.com after reading that, but I'm showing 39F and 37F, respectively, for inland 9A. Not awesome, but not as dangerous as 30F either.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 years ago

Seriously - which forecast is that? NOAA sez overnight low of 38 for Saturday...

Here is a link that might be useful: NOAA forecast: Goldenrod, FL

• rednofl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Im just east of Orlando. Weather underground now showing 34 for sat night. Usually fairly accurate for my yard. When I looked at 6am it said 30 I almost spilled my coffee... I have 12 bunches of bananas including the red Jamaican dwarf which has never produced for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 day forcast

• SusieQsie_Fla
    11 years ago

Here in North Orlando Weather Underground is saying low of 30 for Sunday.

When I looked at it a few days ago, it said Sunday's low would be 37.
    Either way, this stinks! Makes me miss Chokoloskee even more.

Red, you have my deepest sympathy

At least we're getting a little rain now.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Weatherunderground is saying 32 degrees for me for Saturday night :o(...weather.com says its 38 degrees. I hope the 38 degree prediction is the right one.

I heard on the local news this morning that there "might" be a freeze warning in Citrus county for Sat. night/Sun. morning? I hope its stays way north of me...

I love cold weather in the winter, its a very nice break from 10 months of hot weather...just NOTHING below 38 degrees,lol...some of our tropical plants just can't handle it...

• L_in_FL
    11 years ago

Glad I didn't plant any tomatoes yet - I had some hardened off. Now they get to come back in (at least at night) for a while again.

Weather Underground predicts 36 here for Saturday night, and Weather.com predicts 33. I just hope it doesn't get colder than that, and damage my bananas. They have had some green all winter and I have been dreaming of getting bananas this year for the first time ever.

11 years ago

I did. I have 5 of my 7 tomato plants in their buckets and tucked up along the south wall of my house. I could possibly bring them inside, but that would be pushing my wife's 'support' for my obsession a bit too far. And really it would be a bit much for my own sensibilities. I'm just going to have to cover them and hope for the best. Hopefully they will be able to leech enough heat from the house to not suffer too much. I will be bringing in the other two tomatoes. If I lose the 5 on the wall, at least I will have back-ups.

11 years ago

The front seems to be picking up speed. It used to be that the Sunday was going to be colder than Saturday, but now it's showing that Sunday will be warmer (by a few degrees). So that suggests to me that it's going to pass through sooner than they expected yesterday. Still, they're saying mid 30's for lows.

• abnorm
    11 years ago

Well I "give-up".....too close to COLD!......and too many different temperature opinions.....

I wrapped my slat structure in plastic and moved all the fresh seedlings (still in cups) into it for some protection......I can't afford to lose this year's vegies.....I'll add a light for extra warmth......

Good luck......doug

11 years ago

I decided to take my lawnmower out of my shed and turned it (the shed) into a makeshift greenhouse... or at least a heated shelter for the next few nights. I don't have any space heaters, but I do have some 100w incandescents that have been sitting up in a cupboard collecting dust. It won't be enough to keep the shed toasty warm, but it should, hopefully, keep it warm enough. Tonight I am just going to run it this way, tomorrow night I will also cover them with a sheet so that the heat from the bulbs is retained in a tighter area and the shed itself will act as an extra buffer. I should put a thermometer out there so I can check in the morning to see what kind of heat difference I have.

11 years ago

I went and checked this morning. The interior of my shed was 10-15F warmer than outdoors. Still, if tonight gets down to 32F as Wunderground is saying, that means 42F in the shed. Maybe adding the sheet tonight will be enough to put it, the area with the plants up at 50F. Or maybe I can find a cheap space heater on clearance somewhere that won't melt the shed down.

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

I think having them in your shed should be fine if its going to give you 10-15 degrees warmer inside. I'm a nervous wreck when it comes to putting heaters outside,lol...certainly won't be worth melting your shed down...Good luck!