Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

Maha Chinook pics

The 5 ft tall ( not including root ball ) Maha Chinook

Comments (10)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Congrats Joyfus!! She's a beauty...I'm glad your trip was succesful...did it take you the 7 hours r/t like google maps said?

I'm sure you will give it prime real estate in your yard. Good luck!!

• JGPGFL143
    10 years ago

Hi jofus, Any update on your MC? You are not too far from me, I live in Punta Gorda. I just got back from Top T. Got a 3G MC and another Thai mango called Mun Kun Si. Got to see all their Maha Chinook, they still have 7 left. All look good, I got to pick a tall one. While many types of mangos there look good, a few ones need TLC. They are pricey too. Good thing, I did not have to pay shipping. Maybe this weekend, I may place them on the ground.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi JGPGFL, I have a potted Maha Chanok that took about 5 months to finally start to show some growth, for a while there I thought I purchased a "plastic mango" tree by mistake,lol...

Here it is after I purchased it...

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Taken about a month ago...Finally some signs of life :o)

I lightly tip pruned the one long tall branch since I'm going to keep it potted up for a while I'm trying to grow it somewhat on the shorter side...and getting it to grow bushier instead of taller.

• JGPGFL143
    10 years ago

Hi puglvr1, Nice growth, looks healthy. I noticed that MC is very leggy. Looking forward to getting some flush on mine. I am using fish emulsion for fertilizing and citrus nutritional sprays on the foliage. So far my mango collection: Valencia P, NDM, MC and Mun kun si. My VP has lot of flush right now.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

I agree...Maha seems to grow a little leggy. One of the reasons I really need to start trimming it now to try and keep the size in check. I was reluctant to cut that tall branch since it took so long to finally see new growths but I figured summer is the best time to do it so the new growths will have several months to mature before winter gets here...

I trimmed that branch 3 weeks ago and I noticed some little nubbins has started to appear...glad now I trimmed it.

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi JG,
    Have a good update. I planted my " leggy " but robust Maha Chinook a few days after I bought it, and like Pug suggested, found a prime location for this heralded mango tree.
    I also tip-pruned the tree a month later and was enthused by all the healthy lateral shoots that bloomed right under the 2 pruned tips.
    Then disaster,...while trying to carefully skirt the young tree on my 2nd pass with my 19 HP riding mower,....the right front wheel drove over the tree and thin bamboo support stick with a loud SNAP !!!!! The tree & stick were bent about 30 degrees from vertical before I was able to stop. I immediately tried to straighten out the damage, shore up both the bamboo & tree & continued my task, That was like 6 weeks ago,..every other day I look closely at the abused MC, but see no evidence of my hit and run. In fact I see instead a few new buds. Could it have been the supporting stick that snapped ?
    To be honest, don't want to look too close. Will instead continue with fingers crossed, but think I got lucky ! Needless to say I now give that special tree a wide berth with my big, clumsy mower ! ( smile )

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Hi Jofus...OMG!! I'm SO happy for you that the Maha wasn't damaged from your hit and run :o)...Wow, that could have really turned out badly, thank goodness the tree is okay. I'm going to guess it probably was the bamboo stick that snapped, lets hope so anyways and the tree is fine...best of luck!!

• JGPGFL143
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear jofus, hope your MC pull through such rough abuse! (Call the Maha police, quick!). J/K. It's been a week since purchase of my Maha. Just got done transplanting it to the ground. I always place those curved cement borders from HD or lowe's around the new trees (5 pieces makes a small circle) to avoid exactly what happened to you...and the weed whackers. I re-use them for new trees once the old tree is established.