Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting soil

Posted by pabrocb 9b Sarasota (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 11:22

I made the mistake of buying eight bags of organic Miracle Grow GARDEN SOIL for containers I'd like to use for planting tomatoes. These are large pots, not Earth Boxes. (Organic Miracle Grow is probably an oxymoron.)

I didn't pick up the bags at the store, or at home, until I brought them back to the containers with a hand truck. If I had I would have known they were not the right choice. They are extremely heavy. If I had READ the directions on the bags, I would have known:

"Where Not to Use
For growing plants, vegetables or flowers in pots or containers."

I've planted a few tomatoes mixing some other potting soil in with this muck. Should I dump it out around the garden and start from scratch or add things to lighten the load? If so, what to add?

Carol B. feeling dumb as all heck in Sarasota

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting soil

Carol,

Having made the same mistake myself and seeing the results, I would say you should dump it and start over. If you haven't opened all the bags you could take them back of course. The tomato roots will not get enough air and will probably die or at least not thrive. It's easy to make that mistake and lots of people do it.

o

I'll raise my hand to doing the same last year! I've noticed though that even the soil marked for containers tends to compact and not drain well, or at least it does for me. I've had slightly better luck with the Jungle Growth.

Will adding perlite help as to not waste the expense?

*I'm no expert.

o

I have some seeds in MiracleGro potting soil now. Debating on whether to go get the starter kit from Tractor Supply. I have grown tomatoes before, but it was always from plants that I got from a commercial grower. Just like any thing else on the internet, so many variables and contradictions, it leaves me confused. What da ya think experts?

Mike

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 19:24

Hi Carol, you'll be fighting a losing battle with that stuff in a container.

I know you're not wild about fine based mixes but if you'll give them a try and want a premix go to Wally World and get a few bags of Expert Growers mix, if they still carry it. I think it's a fairly good fine based product and 33% cheaper the MG potting mix.

Tom

o

I can take back a bunch and will replace what I've used. The sand in our yards will be happy for some of the heavy stuff!

Thanks, Guys.

Carol B. Sarasota

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 5:03

Go back to Walmart and pick up the Pine mulch in the purple bags. Make sure it is the small size should be appx 1/4-1/2 size. Mix it 2:1 pine fines to potting soil. Just make sure it drains Quickly and you will have excellent soil for your pots at 1/2 the price.

o

I have to say, I've always had pretty good success with the Jungle Growth potting soil. It's dark and chunky and drains well.

o

M.G. potting mix the best, tried them all. mixed my own, if your doing cuttings it's the best. if you have a year or more to wait and see, use the cheap stuff. thirty one gallon pots per one 2.5 cu. ft. bag at depot. ya get what ya pay for....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here