Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phalaenopsis Ground Orchids

Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 11:30

I just got a pot of Phal ground orchids at GardenFest in Vero on Sat and wondered if anyone has grown them before. Will they take full sun? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phalaenopsis Ground Orchids

I did a google search and found nothing on P. ground Orchid - what is the botanical name?

I have several pots of ground Orchids - they aren't ground-hardy for me - I have to put them in the greenhouse when it gets cold.

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSL,Fl (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 6:53

When I search I only come up with pictures of the plant, but no information on growing them. I don't have any other name for them. The plant I got is planted in soil, but the vendor was too busy to give any info. I think they said full sun.

I have many colors of spathoglotis and radicans that I can grow in my planted beds since I am further south then you. :o)

o

Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 8:55

So no one has heard of this orchid???

o

Hi Katkin, the leaf tips on mine get burned in full sun. I have them in partial shade (midday).

See link to prior thread below.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Ground Orchids Survive in Northeast or Central Florida?

o

Another thread linked below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Anyone have success with ground orchids?

o

Katkin I have never heard of phal ground orchids but I will ask at work and let you know if I find out anything. Do you have pictures of your new plant? Do the leaves look like regular phals?

o

Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 6:01

No sorry no pictures, but I did get pictures when I searched the name, but no info. The leaves are wide and strappy, like ginger leaves and I was told they'd get 4 ft tall.

Carol, these aren't spaths or radicans, I have those in all colors, but a different ground orchid.

o

Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 10:56

I went to another plant sale today and found out it is a phais orchid. :o) For some reasone they were calling it phalaeopis last week.

o

Is it a nuns orchid, Phaius tankervilliae? They are marginal in central FL, but they have in ground specimens in sheltered spots under oak trees at Leu Gardens. I traded for a small start, and once it sizes up a bit, I plan to put it in ground in a sheltered spot.

o

Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 6:31

I am in S Florida and on the coast so I have no problem with nun's orchid growing for me. This is not like any nun's orchid I've seen before. But apparently it is a phauis of some type.

o

I have a couple other noid phaius in the ground but non have gotten 4' tall. Keep us posted I would love to hear more and see pictures if you get any.

Hey where you hitting all these plant sales? boo hoo I haven't been to any lately.

o

Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 11:10

Hey Keiki, will do. Last weekend was GardenFest in Vero, my favorite sale and this weekend was a plant sale at Port St Lucie Botanical Gardens. Spent way too much money, but I was sure happy. :o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here