Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

What is the Most Under-Rated Plant in your Garden?

What plant do you have in your garden or yard this is a great performer, but mostly unnoticed by the mainstream - or even by you?

Even though I have had it for several years, this past season I finally noticed what a terrific plant is Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii or Euphorbia splendens var. milii). In the past, it was just kind-of there, doing its thing, but I didn't have any appreciation. Finally I took notice - hey, this plant is great! Here is why I love it: 1) It can take full, full, FULL sun - unlike so many plants that are advertised as sun-loving, but the truth comes out in mid-summer. 2) It doesn't suffer one bit for lack of water. Water it when you feel like it - or not. It will look the same, either way! 3) It has constant blooms! The bright blooms are always there, adding color all of the time. Mine is a beautiful, rosy pink.

My front door faces east and I have two large planters on either side. Even though they are in shade by noon, for years now, nothing I have tried has been very successful. This year, I plan to sink smaller pots of Crown of Thorns into the planters for all-summer color without heat-stress. I think I am finally on to something - I hope!

What is a tried and true but sometimes unnoticed/ignored plant in your yard?

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropica Nursery - Euphorbia Milii Cultivation

Comments (18)

• hester_2009
    12 years ago

Hi Carol,
    I agree with you - COT are the best! I have pink, salmon, white and red. Also the Thai variety in different colors.
    A few of my other favorites include ordinary flax and now the new variety called dianella tasmanica with dark green leaves and blue round berries . It takes full sun, cold and dryness. I am also a fan of Song of India, which I have grown in sun and shade along side yellow walking iris (also blooms all year)
    I have others, but I'm thinking you want to know what to put in your pots? The cane begonias would be perfect, no?
    Looking forward to others joining in here,
    Hester

• L_in_FL
    12 years ago

Aspidistra elatior, the Cast Iron Plant. On the north side of my house, there is full shade and the roots from the neighbor's oak tree go all the way to my house. Everything else I have planted in the bed on that side of the house has died. (I only have to weed that bed a couple times a year - even the weeds won't grow there!) Yet the Cast Iron Plants live. Doesn't matter whether I water them or fertilize them, they just hang in there. They are even evergreen in most winters.

Mine aren't as full as the specimens in the picture on Floridata. But they still make me happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata - Aspidistra elatior

• katkin_gw
    12 years ago

I have a variegated cast iron that I love but ignore too. The green and white leaves are in deep shade under my magoe tree and really brighten up the spot. :o)

• loufloralcityz9
    12 years ago

Weeds, they extremely under-rated but when gathered and used as greens in your salads, they are delicious. But remember to be selective because some weeds are really YUCKY - PATOOWEY!

MOO

• annafl
    12 years ago

I've mentioned it a few other times, but it still stands. I love cycads. In particular, dioon spinulosum and encephalartos ferox. Not easily available, but becoming more so. I actually saw some at HD last fall I think. These plants are indestructable, as long as you give them good drainage. They look good every season and require little. I love the way they look in my yard. Another I've mentioned before also is Japanese Fern Tree filicium decipiens. Beautiful small tree which looks good almost all year. My area is borderline for cold though.

I agree with those mentioned above. They do double duty in my yard too.

Anna

• akaj9
    12 years ago

My Blue Daze......He hasn't stopped smiling at me since June....! Love that plant...greets me every morning on my walk down the garden path....

• K8Orlando
    12 years ago

Porterweed! The native one is OK, but the taller blue one also called vervain (Stachytarpheta urticifolia) is the real workhorse of the garden. The tall coral one is nice too. I like them almost as much as the butterflies and hummingbirds do.

• User
    12 years ago

ignore it 99% of the time, other than water and a bit of lesco in the spring. rewards me for a couple weeks...then green....:)

• cammunizm
    12 years ago

Our Philodendron bipinnatifidum, although I am not sure if it is the tree-type. The thing is huge though it's center isn't too tall. The frost kills all of it's foliage (like now) and comes back every year with a full dome. I used to want to get rid of it but now, I like it. Never seen any blooms on it though.

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Azalea? Is that what that is Wallisadi? Very pretty.
    Sharon

• tomncath
    12 years ago

Porterweed! The native one is OK, but the taller blue one also called vervain (Stachytarpheta urticifolia) is the real workhorse of the garden. The tall coral one is nice too. I like them almost as much as the butterflies and hummingbirds do.

I second that, you can't beat porterweed for perennial blooming for the bees and NO care what so ever other than trimming now and then....

Tom

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I would love to try blue porterweed! Does anyone in Jacksonville have one from which I could get a cutting? I have lots of things to trade.

Carol

Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom and K8,

I got a blue porterweed! What a pretty plant. Where do you have yours planted? What kind of conditions?

Also, have either of you had any problem with it being invasive? While reading around on the internet to find out where I should plant it, I read some indications that it can be spreading.

Thanks!
    Carol in Jax

• tinael01
    12 years ago

I have some portulaca in cement pots in full afternoon sun that survive year after year with no watering and me tearing up the grass and clover that tries to grow without regard to the roots of the flower. The loud pink blooms come back every summer!

I have some porterweed but I don't think you are going to a swap, are you?

Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, You are so sweet - but I just got a porterweed! It is such a pretty little plant - I hope it does well for me.

You are right about portulaca. I have the pink one, also, and it is a workhorse. Very, very easy plant.

I would give anything to go to the swap and meet all you folks in person. I love to give away plants and I know it will be so much fun. But it is just too far from Jacksonville. Maybe if I find someone else to ride with and share gas? (Sultry_Jasmine_Nights, are you reading this?)

Carol in Jax

• tomncath
    12 years ago

I got a blue porterweed! What a pretty plant. Where do you have yours planted? What kind of conditions?

Hi Carol, both of mine are in the veggie garden on the south side of the yard in full sun. I do nothing to them, no water or fertilizer and they grow like weeds, that is probably why that's part of their name ;-) I have to trim them back hard twice a year because they are close to my tomato bunkers and the tomatoes always come first. This isn't the best picture but you can see both plants just inside the wooden wall of the veggie bed, lower middle and a little further up and to the left.

Tom

Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom, I can see them in your picture and everything you report is good news. No wonder it made it onto the "most under-rated plant" list! LOL! I know exactly where I'm going to put it. And I've already started to try and root cuttings. :) Thank you so much for the info.

Carol in Jax

• natives_and_veggies
    12 years ago

two crinums given to me as seeds several years ago. They are on alternating schedules and one always seems to have a stunning purple bloom on it.
    And weirdly (I did not expect this at all) white impatiens. I put a bunch in for the wedding last year figuring they wouldn't last long. But I found an apparently perfect spot for them. I've heard that with just the right conditions, they can be perennials down here. I think I may have found those conditions (bright, bright shade until late, late in the afternoon, when they get less than an hour of full sun. And I don't water them, ever.) Many that were in different parts of the yard have given up and died, or got leggy and got pulled. But these happy little mounds still look great nearly a year later.