Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Best lemon / best lime

solstice98
14 years ago

I lost one of my fruit trees and am looking for recommendations for the best lime or lemon variety for z9 central florida. I'm looking for heavy producers with good flavor.

My first choice is for a lemon tree but my lime has been declining for the past couple years and probably should be replaced too.

Thanks!

Kate

Comments (13)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

I love my Meyer Lemon. I get lots of fruit from it. My favorite lime is Persian/Bears Lime. Even the leaves are fragrant and it makes lots of nice sized juicy limes. Our key limes get more juice for thier size but I like my Persian lime better :)

• pabrocb
    14 years ago

I've just planted a variegated pink lemon tree from Drymon's Citrus Nursery. Anyone have experience with one of these? It was just so pretty, I couldn't resist. Also planted, post frost, a Persian lime, and three orange trees.

Can you tell I'm a new Florida gardener?

Carol B.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

My recommendation is also Meyer lemon...but it is not the most sour lemon out there if that's what you're looking for because it has a sweeter and less acidic flavor than some of the other lemon varieties. I believe it might have been crossed with tangerine or orange. It is a very heavy producer and a great tasting lemon IMHO.

• gatormomx2
    14 years ago

During the last two winters of freezes , I lost a large mature Persian Lime ,
    a 30 year old Meyers and a friend lost their older Variegated pink lemon .

The Persian Lime is especially cold sensitive and belongs in a warmer area than mine - northern DeLand .

Bearss' which was found originally in Lutz, Florida , is the most widely planted lemon in Florida.

The Meyers is really a large bush so give it plenty of room .

From a UF link :
    " The Meyer lemon (Citrus à meyeri) is a citrus fruit, native to China, thought to be a cross between a true lemon and a mandarin orange or sweet orange.
    The Meyer lemon was introduced to the United States in 1908 as S.P.I. #23028, by the agricultural explorer Frank Meyer,
    an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture who collected a sample of the plant on a trip to China. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Meyer Lemon Citrus x meyeri

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

I have a variegated pink lemon. While pretty, it doesn't set that much fruit. The juice isn't really pink either. It tastes okay though. I keep it because it is a pretty novelty and I collect all kinds of citrus anyways lol. The australian fingerlime has a nice taste but they seem to resent the humidity here.

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Kate

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

Hi Kate!

Have you considered a cocktail tree? I've been lusting over a cocktail tree...one that have 4 different citrus that each produce at a different time of year. I saw one at a nursery in west Orlando...only thing they wanted like $500! I would love to find a cheaper one or learn to graft myself.

• j-grow
    14 years ago

the varigated will grow like CRAZY! not much fruit though

• wilmington_islander
    14 years ago

Key Lime hands down. As to lemons...I like the Meyer for its productivity and juice. If you use a lot of lemon peel...look for harvey or lisbon

• new2gardenfl
    14 years ago

wanna run faster, I bought my fruit cocktail tree last year at Lukas for a little over $200. It now sits outside - no leaves from the bitter cold. I might have lost one of the branches and the tips off of the rest of the branches. I'm itchy to grab the pruners and start trimming, but I think I will wait another week or two.

• wanna_run_faster
    14 years ago

N2GFL,

Wheres Lukas' nursery? I would love to check them out! What type of citrus did you get on your tree?

• solstice98
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oooo, you would love Lukas! It's on Slavia Road on the east side of metro Orlando; it's actually in the suburb of Oviedo just off 426 (Aloma Rd) and not far off the beltway (417).

1909 Slavia Road
    Oviedo, FL 32765-7622
    (407) 365-6163

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Lukas Nursery

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner