Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyefaninfl

Cheap Strawberry Plants

buckeyefaninfl
13 years ago

Hello everyone, I am starting to plan a small 6'x4' strawberry patch this year in my backyard. Most of the online literature I read suggests using Camarosa, Sweet Charlie, or Festival. Where are the best deals for these varieties?

Someone suggested going to a farm/feed store and buying bare roots at the end of the growing season (which should be coming up) since they would probably be on sale. Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you for you time!

Comments (10)

• westhamutd
    13 years ago

I bought Sweet Charlie bare root plants from an online vendor.I ended up getting 75 plants & I think including the shipping was just over $40.From everything I've read,you need to have the plants in the ground around November for our climate.My plants are currently flowering & producing young berries-I've had to keep them protected from the frosts,but I'm hoping there will not be too many of those days left.
    It would be worth checking with the farm stores,to see if they will sell some plants,or I'm sure later in the year,there should be plenty of young runner plants up for sale from hobbyists.

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    I got mine (festival) from Lowes. Got 10 tiny starts for 4.50. Walmart had several types for 1.50 as well as the tiny groups. Getting a bit late for SB. I have much better luck as a winter crop with June bearers.
    Strangely this year the "Ozark beuty" have done emuch better even though they are everbearing types.
    I have the most trouble getting them through summer so I usually discard them in May and start over in November .
    Good luck!!! gary

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks for that information. I'm going to put this into my October calendar!

• auger
    12 years ago

anyone know if Seminole Farm and Nursery are doing that sale this year? Also do they ship or is it just pick up at the farm?

• pakalolo
    12 years ago

When I called they said they were doing it. No shipping so it wasn't going to help me in Miami.

• hockeydad154
    10 years ago

Hi Folks, Just did a ''search'' on strawberry plants for central Florida and followed the link to this site. GREAT info! The suggestion for Seminole Farm & Nursery is a bullseye.. The place is actually named South Seminole Farm & Nursery. If this site allows a link I will post it in this message. They are taking orders for October now. We placed ours for 100 plants @ $8.50/per 50 bare root plants. As they are close to us we are going to visit them this afternoon. Just thought I'd share this info with you. God Bless.
    http://sseminolefarmandnursery.com/

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    10 years ago

Regarding South Seminole Farm and Nursery, a couple of weeks ago I put in an order for 60 bare root strawberry plants. Their limit to order is 100 plants. They order 5000 plants each fall and sell until gone. Reservations are required. As previously mentioned, they never find out what the variety will be until they arrive. They come frozen and must be picked up within 24 hours. That's why they don't ship. The price is still 15 cents apiece. Cheap enough!

Christine

• zzackey
    10 years ago

The master gardeners of Baker county are having a pre-order strawberry plant sale soon. We sold about 5,000 each year for 2 years. We plant them in October here. We sold Festival the last two years, but we lost that supplier. Not sure what variety we will have is year. We are also have a pre- order sale of daffodils.

• derbyka
    10 years ago

I got mine from in person from Parksdale Farms in Plant city this past year. They had a new variety called Winterstar. I think they were $6.95 for 25. I got 125 plants total, interplanted them with onions in a raised bed, and got 40lbs of fruit (not counting the fruit eaten out there!) throughout the season. I think they would have been more productive given more fertilizer initially.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parksdale Strawberries

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio