Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another bromeliad bloom

Posted by hester_2009 9a/b Sarasota (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 14:02

This is one of my favorites---just beginning to bloom and should have many more spikes. Even the small pups I have are blooming.
I wish I remembered the name or where I got it!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another bromeliad bloom

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 6, 12 at 16:53

Lovely, Hester! Red on red is striking. Is the foliage that red all year? By the way, I went to your nursery with my husband a few days ago and we came home with a few things. My DH couldn't resist an old man palm. One of the few plants he really takes an interest in, go figure. We planted it in a primo spot in the yard- I let him have it since he hauls, digs, saws for me. He admires it every day.

Anna

o

hester, we picked up a bunch of that at the volusia county master gardeners sale two or more years ago. four or five bunches. put them in the ground, look like crap, meager blooms....yours is incredible. ours...coming out of the ground and into a pot! thanks for the pic...........m

o

• Posted by katkin 9b/10a PSLFl (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 7:39

What a great idea to put those broms in a hanging pot!!! It shows off the blooms just wonderfully. In the ground, they don't show as well. I think it is a bilbergia but I don't know which one.

o

Thanks all,
Anna - this plant has that maroon color all year - really nice.You can certainly have a pup anytime.Glad you went to the nursery - last time I went , they were going to compost a bunch of flax, so I took them home to be salvaged - we'll see! I put them all out back in a big group.
I'll bet your palm looks great and weren't you nice to "let" your hubby have it!!
Hester

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 16:35

Hester, no, really, he calls it 'his plant', and I am not attracted to it too much. I think it's just ok, but he loves it. I guess I now know how he feels about 'my' plants. And I was nice to let him have the best spot in the yard for it. I was salivating to put some pretty flowering thing there.

Yes, Joe told me you left with flax lily and I bet they'll do great for you. Your brom is awesome.

Anna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here