Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmarion_gw

Peach tree in bloom

msmarion
16 years ago

Is it necessary to worry that my Tropic Snow peach is in bloom with the two day cold spell coming?

Comments (12)

• joycrick
    16 years ago

Peaches need some chill and I don't think they are forecasting freezing temperatures. Last I saw, the low was going to be 38.

• floridays
    16 years ago

Mine (Tropic Beauty) is beginning to bloom as well, but only about a dozen or so blooms. Hopefully it won't get too low but even if it does there should be time to rebloom. I'm surprised it even bloomed given the lack of chill hours this winter.

• treefrog_fl
    16 years ago

Mine's blooming now too.
    Hoping for a good crop this year.
    If it doesn't freeze, maybe it will be good for more peaches?!!!

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Cold won't hurt them at all! Did ya'll pull off all the old leaves yet, if they didn't drop? That seems to stimulate them into budding/blooming very quickly.

I love how pretty Peach blossoms are! Some of my trees already have fruit on them. I watched a hen trying to grab an apple yesterday. It was so funny to see her stretch up, jump, peck the fruit, which then of course swung away from her. She tried for a long time(G).

I see Pine Island Nursery is now selling Peaches, Kiwis and Raspberries! Neato!

Lisa

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    16 years ago

Does anyone know of a source for peach trees in the Treasure Coast area? I'd like to try container growing one on my patio.

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Writersblock, sometimes Lowes and Home Depot have containerized Peaches/Nectarines. Be careful though, I've seen them sell varieties that need many more chill hours than we get here.

My favorite place to get bare-root Peaches is Bay Laurel Nursery in California. But you have to order early, because they sell out very quickly. I got a new Peach tree from them last month, and it already has bloomed and set fruit for me!

I have 2 Dwarf Peach trees in pots on my patio. They are under 2' tall, very gnarly and interesting-looking. With trees that small, container growing is easy, but the chickens can jump up and raid the fruits.

Lisa

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    16 years ago

Thanks, gcmastiffs. No chickens here, so hopefully I should be okay (unless the raccoons get bold).

• springtime_fl
    16 years ago

I have a peach tree that is a few years old and is blooming for the first time this year. I am not too worried about the blossoms but I have several peaches growing already! I am worried about them. They are about 1" long. Does anyone know if they are in danger of the cold temps? We put a cover over the top of the tree to try and give me some protection. I know you don't have to protect peach trees but I don't want to lose the baby peaches! :(

Gabriele

• carol44
    16 years ago

I'm in zone 8B and my Tropic Beauty peach was loaded with blossoms two weeks ago, followed by the development of tiny peaches and lots of leaves. After our 29 degree night (wednesday) all the tiny peaches fell off the tree. Now that all the leaves are out I doubt it will blossom again. Very disappointing!! We ended up with four peaches last year which were absolutely the sweetest we've ever tasted. Carol

• gcmastiffs
    16 years ago

Carol. if you feel brave, why not strip off all the leaves? It should stimulate the tree into blooming again, hopefully.

I did this with my Dwarf Peaches 2 days ago. You will have lost nothing by trying it, the leaves will definately grow back, hopefully preceded by flowers.

Works great on Apples!

Lisa

• peg_longwood
    16 years ago

For low-chill fruit trees, bushes, etc. I've had outstanding results from Just Fruits & Exotics in Crawfordville, FL. Great people who know their stock and what you need to know to grow it. It's up on the big bend, but the drive is worth it - it's a great day trip for us.

Here is a link that might be useful: pegsters page

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    16 years ago

I enjoyed reading your blog, Peg. I'd love to see some photos of your garden--it sounds wonderful!