Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Heliconia rostrata and heliconia pendula

annafl
14 years ago

My clumps have gotten too large and my DH just dug up some rhizomes of the rostrata on one side that was impinging on my path. I'm hoping he will do the same on the pendula eventually. If anyone can use these please let me know and I'd be happy to send some. They are nice looking plants with beautiful bracts, and nice rhizomes already showing new growth. I would feel better sending to climates warmer than ours or at least not colder. This winter they got torched and last winter not much better with low 30's. Their best bloom time is actually winter, but they bloom in summer somewhat. I would prefer to send them to someone who posts here in our forum. Thanks!

Anna

Comments (34)

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is rostrata when it doesn't look torched. The bracts last a long time.

This is pendula. Remember these are tall plants that are vigorous and need space. The clumps are about 8-9 feet tall or more and get big.

Anna

• cxjr25
    14 years ago

Wow, those look beautiful. I would love to receive them if you're looking for someone!

I've purchased 4 rhizomes on ebay about 18 months ago but they've yet to bloom. Currently receiving afternoon sun. I'm constantly pulling out infringing oyster plants.

Send me an email at cxjr25@gmail.com to coordinate! :)

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

Anna, I just wanted to say how beautiful they are. Your plants are so healthy and you take great pictures. :o) I am not looking for any myself right now. I think they are a little too tall for the space I have left.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    14 years ago

Hi Anna
    Do you have enough left to spare some for me? One of each?

I have lots of stuff to trade!

Thanks ~ Susie

• tropicalfreak
    14 years ago

WOW!! A bract was beginning to emerge on mine when we got that nasty front.I have waited for 10 yrs now, since moving to Florida...lol. The many joys of gardening....

Tropicalfreak

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did not look at the number of rhizomes closely because my DH dug them up and set them aside, but I would think there would be enough for 3 or 4 people to have a couple or three rhizomes each. I will check more closely tomorrow. Right now I have the rostrata only but will try to get him to dig up the pendula soon. Please email me through GW with your name and address and put heliconia in the subject so I don't delete you. No trade is necessary. Let me know which you'd like or if you'd like both (you will probably get less of each if you'd like both because they are quite heavy!)

CXjr, they will take two years to start blooming, but will grow rapidly in clump type fashion and bloom every year thereafter.

Katkin, thank-you, you are very kind. I've seen your beautiful, healthy plants in the past! BTW, all the heliconias here are torched, brown and ugly right now and I am in the process of cleaning them up and getting them ready for their new growth to start greening up my yard soon.

Susieqsie, I definitely have enough for you. If you'd like both, you might have to wait a few days for the other one to be dug up, but they should be fine.

Tropicalfreak, I too was waiting for my beautiful clumps to bloom when they got torched. Next year maybe they'll be even more beautiful if we don't have another awful winter?

Anyone else?

Anna

• johnjsr
    14 years ago

Anna,
    I'm way north of you, but I have a greenhouse with a 10' roof. I had three bananas in there this winter lol. I would love to have one, or one of each. I saw them growing in Costa Rica years ago and I was amazed. Best I have is a painting of a rostrada hanging in my family room. ;>) I don't think I've ever seen them for sale or I would have one.

thanks, john

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cxjr25, your package is in the mail since you only wanted the rostrata. Susie and John, I will try to get the pendula rhizomes tomorrow and ship yours ASAP.

Below I've included the best planting instructions I found. I just plant them in the ground, not in a pot, and they do great. The important part is not to plant too deep, and to water only the first day, and then not until they feel dry. Just let the rain water them. They rot easily at this point until they get roots and start growing. Once they grow, they can get watered as much as you want. Please email me with any questions. Thanks.

Anna

Here is a link that might be useful: planting instructions for rhizomes

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

Anna, how pretty your plants are! I have a couple of haleconias, none are as pretty as yours. I would love to have some if still availabe. I am in zone 10 south Florida. Would definitly help with shipping.

• katieauthier
    14 years ago

Anna, I too would love some Pendula for the zoo, we don't have any thought I did but they disappeared. I have been trying to increase our collection.
    Thanks,

Katie

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Susie and John, your packages are in the mail. Susie, I only had your first name and your P.O. box. I don't think the package will fit in any P.O. box, so I hope it makes it. Let me know. Alternatively, will they give you a notice and hold it for you at the post office? I was worried about sending it with the info I had for you. Those things in the boxes are rhizome clips to secure and stabilize them in the ground when you plant them.

Zookatie, please send me your address. I have a big fat pendula rhizome or two for you. That's the only one you want, right?

Jjaazzhy, I think I have a couple of rostrata rhizomes left, but they are not real big. Please try them and let me know how they do. They will probably be fine, just take a little longer to get going. Please send me your address.

That's all I have, folks. If I get your addresses tonight, I will mail them in the morning and hopefully they will be there for the weekend.

Anna

• cxjr25
    14 years ago

Full sun? Afternoon sun? Morning sun?

• sharbear50
    14 years ago

Oh, I would love a rostrata if you have one left. I need tall stuff as I don't have any shade in my back yard (western exposure).

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have gotten several new emails from people sending addresses who haven't identified themselves with their GW names! I am sorry to say I don't have any more rhizomes to send other than those I promised zoo katie and jjaazzy. However, I don't know if I have addresses from them because people haven't identified themselves. I would like to make one last trip to the post office today so they don't sit in the post office over the weekend, so if zoo katie and jjaazzy will send me their addresses, that would be great. You others, I am so sorry, but I have trimmed back my clumps as much as I feel comfortable this year. Next year I will let you all know again.

Cxjr25, did you receive the package already? Please let me know when you do. I plant my heliconias in lots of sun. They get anywhere from half to two thirds day full sun. The leaves get a little bleached out as you can tell from the pics, but they bloom like crazy and stay strong. Personally, I only fertilize occassionally with coffee grounds, no more.

Anna

• cxjr25
    14 years ago

Anna, they came in today and I planted them in potting mix in three separate pots circa 9pm. I then watered them.

I can put those pots anywhere in the yard, full, morning or afternoon sun.

• SusieQsie_Fla
    14 years ago

Hi Anna
    The package arrived yesterday and there's no worries about getting mailed stuff here on this island -
    everybody knows everybody, it's kinda like Mayberry in the Ten Thousand Islands.

Anyways, thanks for explaining the clips, I had a feeling that's what they were for. And that's great about feeding them UCGs - might also keep the snails away.

Thank you very much
    I am honored to know you
    Susie

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

cxjr25, in your perfect heliconia weather, you can plant them straight in the ground with those rhizome clips I sent to secure them safely. That way you can plant them very shallow so they don't rot. I would plant all the rhizomes together in one clump in your preferred location. You should have a nice sized clump by the end of summer, but no blooms till the second year. Then blooms thereafter. I have them in several locations. The ones that look and bloom the best get sun from about 9am to about 3-4pm. I have one clump that gets only 2 hours of late morning sun, and it isn't as vigorous and blooms a lot less. I have one clump that gets sun from about 10am to 6pm and is against a wall. This clump gets a bit bleached out but blooms like crazy. Just a lot of sun if you want a lot of blooms.

Susie, lol about Mayberry. I'm glad they found you ok. Enjoy.

John, thanks for your nice email.

Anna

• jjaazzy
    14 years ago

anna thank you again for the plants, how nice and beefy these are. We got em - we planted em- and now were gonna enjoy em! Thanks again!

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

anna i would love one of each if you have any left to grow with my bananas

i have delight and yellow dragonfruit, vanilla orchid, or i can send you the shipping

• annafl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jjaazzy, you are most welcome. I hope they do well for you.

Mango kush, I am so sorry, but I have finished trimming back my clumps for this year. All my rhizomes are sent. Maybe next year.

Anna

• tomncath
    9 years ago

Anna, I'm pulling up this older post because I'd be interested in some pendula if you still have it and need to thin it out again. Actually, I'd love some of both....

Tom

• c9pilot
    9 years ago

I was just wondering where I could get these - I wasn't sure I could grow them and then found some in a friend's yard. Please let me know if anybody finds a (preferably local) source!
    The rostrata is my dream plant after seeing them in Hawaii!

• tomncath
    9 years ago

... Please let me know if anybody finds a (preferably local) source!

Hi Lisa,

I was just over at another GW'ers today in Tampa who has lots of rostrata and needs to thin them out. I'm sure you could get some from him, drop me a email off-post.

I'm really interested in trying the pendula as Fairchild's states it is attractive to hummers. Hopefully Anna will come along and shed some light on the hummer interest.

Tom

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

c9 I have plenty of rostrata. If you can pick up in Tampa I can load you up. I also have a case of the path that disappeared - taken over by lobster claws. However, I think maybe January or February would be best for transplanting. I don't really know.

• tomncath
    9 years ago

There you go Lisa, I was over at shuffles house today ;-)

I still want to try pendula, it supposedly only gets to 8' so it could also do double duty inside my pool cage....

Tom

• sweetmonkeycheese
    9 years ago

"plenty of rostrata. If you can pick up in Tampa I can load you up".... does this mean someone in Tampa wants to give away some lobster claw???..... I am in Tampa! I would love to have a lobster claw! ... crossing fingers I have not miss read.

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

monkeycheese, you read correctly. Just email me.

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

What happened to Anna?

Jane

• tomncath
    9 years ago

What happened to Anna?

Good question, anyone heard from her lately?

Tom

• sweetmonkeycheese
    9 years ago

Email sent ( a couple of hours ago, forgot to post here that I sent it)

• c9pilot
    9 years ago

Me, too.

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

I haven't received any emails on this.

• c9pilot
    9 years ago

The GW messaging system must not be working.
    My email is: myGWhandle(at)hotmail.com if you wouldn't mind dropping me a line.

• sweetmonkeycheese
    9 years ago

Just saw the post, been out of town, I sent another email via my hotmail to your verizon, so check your junk mail for a jlbunnyhoney.

This post was edited by sweetmonkeycheese on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 18:03