Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden update

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness FL (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 16:20

I had the camera out for some pre peach tree butchering photos so figured I would share.

Here are the peach trees before I pruned them this morning. There are 7 of them planted as bareroot last February.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A little later variety

Photobucket

The earliest variety has quarter size fruit

Photobucket

The first of the mulberries is waking up.

Photobucket

The Mysore raspberries are blooming and already have 1/2 grown fruit.

Photobucket

Southern Belle blueberries, they are my earliest.

Photobucket

Sweetcrisps

Photobucket

Emeralds

Photobucket

I decided in the fall to start a larger fig collection. I had two varieties and decided to go for 50 varieties. Currently have 40 different varieties rooted and growing. Here is a shot of some of the newbies in the mist bed, there are 72 in there currently. They were started from cuttings in November wrapped in newspaper and when roots appeared moved to 30 ounce cups and now outside in 1 gallon pots.

Photobucket

And last but not least......after 7 years of tending, fertilizing and swearing at my Ruby red Grapefruit has for the first time decided to bloom.

Photobucket

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 17:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden update

I don't know which I envy more, your crops or the land you have to work with.

Thank you for the picture of your Emerald blueberries. Seeing that and comparing it to where mine is currently gives me hope.

I think if I could have the flowers without the fruit, I might plant a couple of peach trees myself. But I have enough fruit-bearing plants on my tiny plot of land as it is. Plus I have yet to taste a peach outside of Georgia that can match up to a Georgia peach. Even the 'Georgia' peaches in the grocery stores don't match up for taste or size, but I think we all know why that is.

Best of luck on your grapefruit. I'm praying I see blooms on my wife's mandarin this Spring. If I don't, this may be the last Spring that ya'll hear from me, as my fingers may be broken...or worse... she really, REALLY wants her mandarins.

o

• Posted by tomncath St.Pete-Z10A-Heat 10 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 19:22

Nice BR, all that hard work is really coming along!

Tom

o

Looking good!

o

• Posted by whgille Oakland FL Zone 9B (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 7:47

BR, your orchard is getting bigger and productive! it is going to give you a lot of fruit.

Silvia

o

• Posted by dlsm Z9b Titusville Fl (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 10:22

Hi bamboo rabbit,

Just love your garden and all that property. If I had all that space for a garden I would really be broken down in my back.

Hope you will escape the cold weather this weekend.

Luther

o

Looking good BR! You're about to move up from gardner to farmer!

Papa Jim

o

Leekle2ManE, there are in fact ornamental varieties of peach trees. Check the "pepermint" variety in the link.

Although, I would think the critters would get all your peaches if you didn't protect them, and then the problem of not liking the taste of your dooryard peaches would be solved.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/Peaches.htm

o

• Posted by annafl z9b/10a Sarasota (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 7:43

Bamboo, your place looks incredible! You are in for some good eating. Hey, love that little plump hen rooting around. So cute!

Anna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here