Return to the Florida Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dorsett Golden Apple Tree

Posted by gatorbone 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 16:30

I just purchased and planted this tree. Can't seem to find any info on how, when, and what kind of fertilizer to use. I did not use any when I planted the tree. Just some compost to fill in the cracks. Any advice will be welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dorsett Golden Apple Tree

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 19:55

I just purchased a bare root Dorsett and an Anna which you need for cross pollination. My instructions say don't fertilize till you get new growth started and just use a balanced all purpose fertilizer. I keep some 10 10 10 around so Thats what I will use. University of Fla seems to agree.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of F Apple info.

o

Thanks for the info. The tag on the Dorsett said no need for pollination, the tag on the Anna (right next to the Dorsett at the nursery) said you need to have a Dosett for its pollination. Huh?

o

Based on my personal experience growing them together:

Their bloom times overlap, but Dorsett Golden blooms earlier. The last Dorsett Golden blooms are open at the same time as the first Anna blooms.

Dorsett Golden will set fruit without another apple variety for pollination.

Anna will set some fruit without Dorsett Golden for pollination, but seems to set more fruit with Dorsett Golden nearby.

YMMV, but this is my experience.

o

Yup, both varieties are considered to be self-fertile, but yield and individual fruit quality are supposed to be improved with cross pollination.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.gardenguides.com/89742-apple-trees-not-require-pollinators.html

o

Thanx to all. There's room in the yard and the Annas are still on sale. Think I'll get the Dorsett a buddy.

o

I think you'll be happy that you did.

Anna ripens a bit later than Dorsett Golden, though their seasons overlap. So the Anna will extend your apple season a little.

I like the flavor of the Anna better, but then I like a sweet-tart apple. Anna holds its shape when cooked, too. So, it makes a good apple pie or cobbler. (It is not as tart as a Granny Smith, though - you may want to cut the sugar back a bit.)

If you like a sweet apple for fresh eating, you will probably prefer the Dorsett Golden. It is sweet enough that it makes a nice applesauce with little or no sugar needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Florida Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here